Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

CornHolio posted:

I am the only person in the company that knows how to...

Not to ruin your day or single you out but those people make you take pictures off of the camera because they know you'll do it.

If it's not your responsibility just say "I'll try" and then never do it or people will walk all over you. It's their rear end not yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

WarLocke posted:

This. Get your responsibilities in writing. Not some generic 'be a team player' stuff, that's a license to use and abuse you. Get specific responsibilities on paper, and pull it out when they want you to do something new. Hell, get everything in writing.

That's not what I mean. If your boss tells you to do something and you're "that's not my job" guy you're the first guy getting fired when work gets tight.

If your peers ask you to get pictures off the camera all the time you need to ignore them until it's easier for them to do it themselves. It's a dick move not to help out but if you do you'll always be their bitch.

Don't do that "teach a man to fish" bullshit either. If you teach them how to do it they'll still come to you because you're the expert. Be unhelpful to anyone not signing your paycheck who dumps work on you.

Edit: distinguish between smart and stupid people at work. If people who are smart and helpful or just particularly friendly need a favor I'll drop what I'm doing to help them because they're smart and will help me if I need it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Think of it more as being an efficient resource. CornHolio is an engineer with an engineering degree. He can do more valuable things than download photos from a camera.

He probably also prefers doing engineering work to mindless bullshit. His interests and the company's interests are aligned. His stupid coworkers and politeness are making him unhappy.