Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

My wife just got a resume submitted. It's a cell phone picture of a paper resume, top down perspective on a glass table. You can see their bare feet through the table.

I don't know how you management types do it

This is in the top 5 funniest things I've read this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I have an acquaintance who always texts me to expect reference calls whenever he applies for a new job and I have never had anyone call me

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I think the popular nu metal band Mudvayne was from Peoria

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

I have 2-4 hours of meetings per week and by the halfway point I want to die. Two weeks ago I straight up fell asleep in the middle of one.

I don't know how everyone survives with so many.

I read stuff on my phone or play phone games or look at another monitor and read forums

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I absolutely hate that the cultural norm in the corp world is for people to talk to your manager instead of you when they have a problem. It's the most schoolyard run-and-tell-teacher poo poo for cowards

I'm the easiest person in the world to talk to and if you have a problem with the way I'm doing something I'll be happy to hash it out 1 on 1 like an adult

And it also sucks for managers because they have no idea what the hell is actually going on and can't really take a side. All they can do is pass on the feedback. I always tell people to talk to me if something comes up and sometimes it works but there are some people in this world who just can't handle any kind of uncomfortable 1 on 1 conversation and have to have someone else do it for them

Ugh

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Dik Hz posted:

It isn’t the norm though, you just have poo poo managers. If the first words out of the manager’s mouth aren’t “have you talked to Elephant Ambush about this?”, your manager is poo poo. Unfortunately most are.

This is a good point too. I hope I'm never a manager but if I ever am that's how I'd handle it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jumpsuit posted:

I just staggered out of two days of SAFe training and I'm more convinced than ever that the whole thing is pulled from the CIA sabotage field manual

I've been an agile coach for about 10 years and I absolutely hate SAFe. It's a low-risk low-change product created to sell to executives and to sell training courses and certifications so that those executives can say "we're agile now" without actually being agile. Nobody who is looked up to in the industry endorses it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I know it's been complained about a lot itt but I really hate it when nobody adds agendas to their meetings

I always add an agenda even if it's just a couple short bullet points

Why the gently caress am I being invited to a meeting where I don't recognize the subject or most of the other people invited. At least tell me what the hell you're going to talk about

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

LMAO if you pay attention at meetings

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

theHUNGERian posted:

Should we have a pre-meeting alignment?

Yes. Please include me. I need to update the slide deck for senior management

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you have background nose please put yourself on mute

I'm so glad that they added featured to Zoom and Teams to bring up the list of everyone on a call so you can see who is making all the noise and just mute them yourself

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Trabant posted:

That's alright, we already assigned all the action items to you!

Haha, just kidding, just kidding :-)

This is the most cringe boomer poo poo and I hate it so much

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

what if I fantasize about having no job

My job is fine, I just want to be a deadbeat but health insurance is too expensive and I would much prefer my family not die of preventable diseases.

:hai:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sundae posted:

New pet peeve with e-mails I didn't know I had: People who write "To Whom It May Concern" and then only send the message to one person. Just be honest and open with "Hey rear end in a top hat," or something next time.

That one kinda blew my mind, because it's an implicit statement that their product isn't good enough. :v:

Nah it's all the other stupid bullshit made up by executives. Tax credits for building occupancy, "face time is important", etc.

I'm really lucky that my current job only requires me to be in the office a couple days a week for a few hours a day and the drive is only 30 minutes either way

There are definitely times when I've had actually useful and productive face to face conversations and meetings with people on my team but there is no good reason at all for a mandate that everyone be in the office 8 hours every day

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I had to change my network password yesterday and the increasingly annoying password requirements are starting to get to the point where they're actually pissing me off. I have no problem with the usual requirements of a lowercase letter, uppercase letter, a number, and a special character, but now they increased the minimum number of characters to FIFTEEN

gently caress off with that poo poo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

I like when they only tell you the password requirements after your initial try entering the same password twice.

That's another thing. I tried changing my password through the windows ctrl alt del screen, tried a few different passwords, and was told none of them met the minimum requirements. After talking to IT it turns out that I had to go to a separate internal website to change my password and that's where I finally saw the new requirements, and the only reason all the other passwords I tried didn't work was because of the 15 character minimum

I'm all for security especially since I work for a large finance company but holy loving poo poo, people need to stop being so loving dumb with passwords that IT has to keep increasing all the bullshit minimum requirements so that people stop trying to use password123456 or whatever

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I had a meeting this afternoon where the VP started off by talking about a recent vacation he took, and how it's great to relax and enjoy yourself. Then, encouraged everyone to take the opportunity whenever possible to take vacations for themselves.

This was immediately followed by a transition to how the "big project" is behind schedule, and he thanked everyone on that project (not me, thankfully) for working nights / weekends to try to get caught up. And encouraged continued "grit" in getting things done.

It was a great juxtaposition of the corporate world experience from a VP's level vs the peons'.

During the early part of the pandemic when a lot of people were still really scared and uncertain and we had all been wfh for while, there was some kind of bullshit town hall or something (at my previous company) where one of the high level managers or execs or whatever started out by talking about how he's very happy to be working from the new lake house he just bought, and how his housewarming gift to himself was a WW2 era Japanese katana and showed it hanging over his fireplace

Then, instead of trying to help regular workers feel better by congratulating them for all the work they've been doing in uncertain times, he proceeded to thank all the other managers on the call for their leadership during these rough and uncertain times

These loving people are the god drat worst and I'm extremely glad I left that shithole for a ton of reasons

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The only Jeff I know is cool as hell but we don't work together. He's a project manager at another company :shrug:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

A meeting host stopped talking when I flushed the toilet and i nearly had a heart attack before I verified I was indeed muted.

This is my #1 work/meeting anxiety. I constantly have to check if I'm on mute or not during meetings after I belch or fart something

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I hate PowerPoint and wish it had never existed

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

I bet you're one of the people who presents off a Word document. Ugh

Has it occurred to you that it's possible to convey information to people without annoying distractions designed to make it look like you're smarter than you are?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

Lol so you are. Lmao

What is wrong with you? If I'm in person and need a visual aid I'll draw on a dry erase board. If I'm in a virtual meeting and I need to draw something I'll use a tool like Miro or if that's not available I'll use MS Paint

Why are goons like this?

"Don't body shame" "You must be fat! :xd:"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

Work-wife wake up, a new KRAZAM just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8Q51ouA_s

lmao

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm super lucky that my "new" job (started last July) is only a 30 minute commute by car. In the Chicago area 30 minutes is an amazing commute. And I only have to be in the office a couple days a week and I don't even have to be there for 8 hours. Just go in, go to some in person meetings, do your stuff, then go home and work the rest of the day from there

Looking back at The Before Times it's absolutely ridiculous how office workers were just expected to always be in office even if there wasn't a good reason for it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

I’ll never understand why people have children. DINKWAD supremacy!

What does the WAD stand for?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My to do list is just an excel sheet lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cael posted:

Also lol at him thinking “oh just turn the camera on, so simple” as if people don’t have multiple barriers physically blocking the actual lens.

On the rare times when I actually do get on camera (usually in a small meeting when everyone else is) first thing I do when joining is flip up the plastic flap and first thing I do when I disconnect is flip it down.

The laptops at my current company have sliding camera blockers built into them. Not being able to physically block your camera is a security risk and I'm glad that my company understands that

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
We got forced to upgrade to New Teams over the weekend

Somehow it sucks even worse than the previous version

I hate Microsoft and their lovely monopoly so much

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah new teams is better the only issue is that our genius IT people have both new and old teams installed at the same time? so you never know what you're gonna get!

We have this too. They didn't bother removing the old version

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Looking at Gantt charts causes me physical and psychological pain

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
There's a guy in this meeting whose natural voice sounds like someone running their voice through a modulator and slowed down and dropped an octave like in 80s movies

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I have never listened to a recording of a meeting so I'm good there

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

On the one hand it's nice that anyone in a corporation cares about anything beyond the current quarter. On the other hand, Q6?!

It's a stupid long term planning thing in some companies to try to guess what will be done 6 quarters from now. Yes that's as stupid as it sounds and yes it's a waste of time thinking about it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I work for a large financial company. Gantt charts here are nightmarish and they're never ever right and we have a whole group of people who we pay 6 figures to spend their week badgering everyone for updated dates and updating the charts and then repeating the process

To make things worse we also have almost every software team highly specialized to do exactly one thing each so there are a zillion dependencies to keep track of

Nobody seems to want to fix or even improve this system at a high level because "we just have to get stuff done". gently caress you. Stop over committing to too much work and give us all some breathing room to make our system better. Clowns

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Kevin Mitnick's biggest scam was getting people to pay him to lazily and hazily explain bog standard security attacks that are 20 years old in compliance videos.

No more Free Kevin

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Nah. Social engineering has always been the most effective way of gaining access to secure places and computer systems

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The corporate world is so much like kindergarten most of the time. So many people can't follow basic instructions, don't pay attention to anything, have to have everything spoon fed to them, and don't seem to be able to function beyond the bare minimum

Everything is targeted at the lowest common denominator and you're not allowed to say anything about people who suck at their jobs (or simply don't do their job) without heavily couching it in the safest most indirect corporate buzzword language

I really like my job and the people I work with so I'm lucky, but anything that I'm required to go to outside of my organization seriously feels like I'm in another world inhabited entirely by grown adult babies

At least they pay me what I'm worth

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I really hate being nagged about employee surveys. I fill them out but I also make sure to complain to my manager about them and tell him that nothing I put in there is going to happen so they're basically useless

I seriously have no idea why companies even bother

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Every time I read this thread it makes me really happy that I don't have to deal with some of the really awful stupid poo poo that some of you have to put up with

The people I work with are generally fine if a little inexperienced and my manager is cool as gently caress. All my biggest problems come from upper management outside my organization and either fortunately or unfortunately I don't have access to talk to those people directly

I'm lucky to have a +2 and a +3 who actually give a poo poo about making things better and trying to influence the overall system for the better but everything in the corporate world moves like molasses and that's probably my overall biggest frustration

My heart genuinely goes out to all of you who have to deal with trash coworkers and managers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
TIL that you're no longer allowed to say that a team is fudging their numbers. The new corporate drone speak for that is "we have to examine their practices"

You simply can't just be direct and honest about what is obviously happening right in front of everyone's face anymore and everyone is a huge baby about being called out for doing stuff that they obviously shouldn't be doing

Like, we're willing to work with you and help you out. We're not saying you all suck. But you're clearly focused on trying to make management happy instead of actually trying to get better as a team