Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I work for a software development company that is of a decent size. In various forms I've worked here 14 of the last 15 years. After this length of time I could write my own Dilbert comic strip for the rest of my life and not run out of material. Office Space is pretty much a documentary of my life, minus Jennifer Aniston.

At one point around 2001, when my company laid off 90% of its workers in some of the most horrible ways imaginable ("Hey guys, there's an emergency meeting in the cafeteria right now we need you for...InternetJunky you stay at your desk though"), I kind of hit a low point after which I honestly did not care any more. I would go into work, usually late, do nothing but surf the net, and leave after 5-6 hours. Each day I kept waiting to be called into the manager's office to be laid off or fired. I didn't care.

After about 4 months of this, I finally got called into my manager's office. This is basically the gist of what occurred:

Manager: "Don't tell anyone about this InternetJunky, but we're giving some key employees who we don't want to lose some stock options, and you've been chosen to receive 1000 shares. Congrats!"

Me: .... wtf

Manager: "Keep up the good work. I know it's tough with what's been going on."

I lasted a few more months before I quit and formed my own contracting company, and a year later was contracting back with my original company for 2.5 times my original salary. I'm still with them.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Guess I should also mention this super secret formula for how a company saves its shareholders money:

1.) Open software development office in India
2.) Get rid of the majority of existing people with 10+ years of industry experience
3.) Hire hundreds of people in India with no relevant experience
4.) Hire many of the laid-off people back as contractors for 3x their previous salary to go to India and train people
5.) Have non-Indian staff work extreme hours fixing problems from code coming out of Indian office due to the inexperience of the staff working there.
6.) After one year watch 90% of all trained Indian workers leave for the company next door.
7.) Goto 3.

Currently my company has finally figured out that after 7 years of trying, maybe moving most of the development to India wasn't a great idea.

We're currently moving it to Poland and Brazil right now. I'm sure that will be better.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Sundae posted:

I certainly hope they do. My NCA technically claims that I may never work for another company or research firm in this field, ever. I can't imagine that one holds up in court. (I also can't imagine it's even enforced, given how many scientists we lay off.)
A few years ago 5 people from a team of 7 that were supporting one of our customers quit and were hired directly by the customer. My company went nuts and tried all sorts of legal action that ended up amounting to nothing.

Those non-competes are put there to stop an employee from quitting and joining the competition. Courts don't look nicely on them when they're used as a blackmail tool to keep you chained to your company. They're usually unenforceable if you get laid-off, too.