Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite thing in the entire world is when I get an e-mail reminding me to send a reminder e-mail to someone else. Hey, guess what, in the time it took you to remind me to remind them you could have reminded them yourself!

Also, I'm a big fan of emails that start out "Reminder - As you know,"
If I know already, and you KNOW I know, WHY ARE YOU REMINDING ME :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Threads like this absolutely scare the poo poo out of me when I hear libertarian types rambling about how everything should be privatized and run by huge corporations because unlike the evil bloated government, the private sector is amazing! Every time I've seen some government service privatized it always ends up costing more, for less, and even more corruption/incompetence. Have none of these corporate-savior obsessed types ever worked for a large corporation?
Of course not, they're all HARD WORKIN' REAL 'MERICANS :911: NEVER FORGET OORAH :patriot:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

Last year i got a GIANT 2.2% pay increase. This year i'll get jack. Next year if i'm lucky i'll get 5%. God i hate my life.
My pay has actually steadily gone down over the last 2 years, consider yourself lucky you're getting anything.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

E the Shaggy posted:

:smithicide:

Thank God I'm leaving in a week.
Holy poo poo, and I thought the people at my firm had it bad.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone in this thread has this book, yes? Get it if you don't, it's hilarious (and depressing at the same time).

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

E the Shaggy posted:

Now I'm torn, do I go with option a.) and ask what the gently caress she's thinking? or option b.) train the receptionist for three days and watch the firm collapse in on itself.

Decisions, decisions.
I am probably not the best person to ask since I'm kind of disgruntled myself but if I were in your situation I would do option (b) so loving fast it would make your head spin. :)

Also, if you opt for option (a), don't be surprised if it's completely ineffective and you end up having to do (b) anyway. :)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Umiapik posted:

I've read these posts about holiday entitlement in the USA with my eyes popping out of my head with disbelief. Is it really normal to only have 2 weeks annual holiday in the USA? Do some people really only get 5 loving DAYS holiday a year in their full-time jobs?!? There are businesses in the USA that count their employee's annual leave in HOURS?!?!!! :aaaaa:
In the last two and a half years I've taken a grand total of about four and a half weeks of vacation, so yeah it's actually extremely common here.

quote:

Also... in the US, employers can fire any employee, at any time and for any reason? Is that really true? it can't be, surely.
I envy your blissful ignorance. I really do. :unsmith:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Penguin posted:

It's a fundamental American belief that if you work hard for a long enough time, you'll eventually be handed millions of dollars for your hard work, and THEN you get to do what you want and have a good time. Poor people? Must be lazy, they just didn't work hard enough. It's our peculiar strain of masochism.
The real American dream isn't about rising up against adversity to make a solid living for yourself, it's about rising up against oppression (real or perceived) to become the oppressor. Hope this helps :)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Super Waffle posted:

American companies follow the motto of: "Don't like it? Find a job somewhere else" for the most part. Thing is they all say that and theres nowhere else to work.
Little known fact: In a recession, the words to the national anthem actually change to "You should just be happy you have a job right now."

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Turnquiet posted:

Months pass, and I gently hound my new director for status updates. After a while, he pulls me into his office and tells me that my old director is stonewalling my request for OT. Despite agreeing to it beforehand, he argues that since I am salaried, they have no obligation to pay me for my extra time spent working on their projects. My new director argues back to the VP that I was working in good faith, after hours, on duties wholly unrelated to my position as to help the VP’s entire stack. Again, both the VP and my old director drone on that I am not entitled to OT since I am salaried. The situation was comical in its malevolence.
This is bullshit and you can sue for this. Just FYI.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Turnquiet posted:

Ah yes, the other lesson to be learned here is "always, always, always get it in writing."

Edit, I have some communiques from my "good guy" director along with a log of hours worked with dates attached. I sent copies to my personal address. That may be proof of someone somewhere owing my something, but I do not know if it is proof enough of an explicit agreement to pay me OT. Even if it were enough, I have a feeling I would be dismissed for something somehow if I brought it to suit, doubly so given our at-will employment laws. :smith:
It doesn't matter, unless you're working in a very narrow range of occupations salary doesn't automatically prevent someone from getting overtime and it doesn't matter whether they agreed to pay it to you or not. It's a common misconception. However, I'm not an employment attorney so don't take what I'm saying as gospel or anything. I'm just saying it may not be a bad idea to look one up and ask him/her.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

At what point do you take your employer to court and accept the risks of at-will employment?

I've been dicked out of bonuses and overtime before. They could drop me like it was nothing. I just don't work overtime anymore.
Oh, I missed the part where he was still working there. There are retaliatory termination laws, but good luck proving that since I believe the burden is on you in that situation :sigh:

Okay, I am modifying my advice from "look up an employment attorney right now" to "look up an employment attorney as soon as you leave this job (if you leave it)."

e: Actually the more I think about it, I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to sue at all since any other employers in the same field and area aren't going to hire you after that because chances are they'll all dick you over the exact same way. FREE MARKET OORAH :911:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

TRex EaterofCars posted:

If you live in a state with income tax and include medicaid/medicare and SS it could easily approach 50%.
Unless there are states out there with an effective state income tax rate of ~20%, you're not ever going to have an effective tax rate in the US that's anywhere even close to 50%.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Highest marginal tax rate =/= effective tax rate

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Sieg posted:

In New York City, the combined effective rate of state and city income taxes will be almost 10 percent -- and the total federal, state and city income-tax bite will exceed 50 percent for the first time in more than a quarter-century.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/ny_taxes_headed_for_new_high_IEEVoyCPCC7x6vXfMJIAFP
They're talking about two different things in that sentence. The combined effective rate of NY state and NYC income taxes will be almost 10%, but the article says at the beginning that the highest federal marginal tax rate is 39.6%. Even given that you pay 6.4% or whatever it is for Social Security/Medicare (btw, you only pay that on the first ~$105k you make in a year, so even the effective rate of that is lower the more you make - yay regressive tax! But I digress...), your effective tax rate is only even going to come close to 50% if you are making shitload upon shitload of taxable income. And the people making that much aren't doing that, they're getting it all in capital gains which are only taxed a flat 15% at the federal level.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Wake_N_Bake posted:

ps- management here
We got this from the first part of your post, actually spelling it out is redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you entering the corporate world, here is a handy 3-step guide to getting ahead:

1) Above all else, suck up to your bosses as much as possible.

2) Find out what the minimum amount of work is that you must do to get by. Hint: Much like sex, it's lower than you think it is. :goonsay:

3) Do EXACTLY that amount of work. No more (don't want to be a doormat because you'll never get ahead that way!), no less (don't want people talking about how you don't care about the team because you'll never get ahead that way!).

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 7, 2010