Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Happitoo posted:

Seriously. It may not be your decision to make, but can the company just not go "gently caress you for abusing our employees, we're going to use somebody else"?

Now to complain about my company:

The two weeks preceding Christmas is my busy period at work (as you can clearly tell by my posting on SA). The entire end of November/beginning of December is a ramp-up to that work. Going back as far as July an entire process kicks off for other people in the office so that they can do their work, so come end of November they have all their stuff in place and in December I can start doing mine.

Come December it is a balancing act of projects that need to all be completed by me before Christmas. All coming from different parts of the company, and none of them give a crap that other people are also giving me projects, their project needs to be done too. Which is fine. I've known through all of November and December what the projects are, what their timelines are, and how much time I'll need to execute each of them. I know which days I'll have to work like crazy, and which days I can go a bit slower and relax so I don't burn out.

Basically what I'm saying is, it takes 6 months of work and planning involving around 20 people to get to this point when I do a massive chunk of my work for the year, and then it takes 2 weeks and a huge amount of effort on my part to get it all done.

It's all great until some retard decides yesterday that they need to drop an entirely new project that normally takes a week of work and based on when it needs to be done by has to be completed by today. So I'm going to be working until midnight to get this poo poo done.

Is laughing in their face not an option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Aphasian posted:

The real annoyance is that most of the issues we have are NOT due to our customization, but to weird quirks of the system. Individual and company names cannot have apostrophe's in them, because it causes the entire system to break due to a SQL error. This is despite the fact that this issue has been recognized and addressed in every other professional software utilizing SQL since about the time SQL became a standard. So Peter O'Toole would have to be Peter OToole with an apology that all of the mail from us doesn't reflect his real name.

Your product is one malicious query away from getting wiped. You need to tell management that you need a new product from a competent vendor and you need it yesterday, because the opportunity cost here includes the monumental liability costs from loving SQL Injection attacks.

Is this company filled with time travelers? Are they literally from the 90s?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Silly question, but do any other employees have the same job as you and the other employee? It might just be that he considers you a secretary and not worth the same compensation, or at least that's how he'll spin it to any investigators.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Keetron posted:

The hard reality is always this. Does your job suck but you cannot find anything else? You found your best possible spot in the current job market. Free market working in the job market.

Alternately, you live in an area with lovely jobs or you just don't market yourself very well, or you don't interview very well.

Learn Android, make a few Android apps, work for a lovely consulting company, and watch your star ascend if you are so highly competent as to understand what a for loop is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

D34THROW posted:

There's cinnamon-hazelnut coffee in the fridge for me at work.

It's decaf. I haven't touched it and will never touch it no matter how loving lovely the Maxwell House is. At least Maxwell House has caffiene.

EDIT: There's a fair amount of thinking to do in my current capacity, but a big part of the job is still making spreadsheets and answering the phones in between customers up front. I'd fall asleep at my desk by 11 AM without caffiene.

After I have my morning cup or two, I'll switch to decaf so that I'm not totally wired for the rest of the day. When I was younger, I always felt like decaf was just missing the point, but as I've aged I've realized that I can enjoy coffee on its own merits without ~*caffeine*~

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

martyrdumb posted:

Say you're looking for a workplace that's a better fit. The work environment seems awesome, you like their product a lot because <reasons>, their mission is very positive and resonates strongly with you (which entails reading their company website to find out their mission ahead of time--do your research!), etc.

This is way TMI in a job interview. Refocus the question into what you think is good about the place you're interviewing for, not what's bad about your current one. There is no way that poo poo-talking your current employer can help you, no matter how nicely you say it or how many weasel-words you couch it in. Do not ever put down--even by implication--a past or current employer. For any reason. It may be true, but discretion is the better part of valor in an interview. Some things are better left unsaid, and this is one of them.

It's probably OK to say "I'm looking for a better work life balance, and I've heard that (company) is pretty good in this way. Is that true?" It gives the recruiter/interviewer an easy way to spin the current environment positively, or gives you a really nice red flag of your own when they weasel and say "well, you know, in this line of work you really have to take what comes at you..."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

rolleyes posted:

My favourites are the ones which proceed thusly:

If you manage to fail that you almost deserve to be fired.

What irks me most about these (and I'm sure Sundae will have seen a lot of them too) is that they teach you diddly squat and exist purely so that, when asked by an auditor (FDA or another pharma company), the company can go "yep rolleyes was made aware of his responsibilities with regards to this legislation" and then upper management can wring their hands and feign surprise that such a thing could ever have been overlooked. I mean, everyone had the training, right?

edit:
To put it in context, I get one of these through once a week on average. It's obvious that a normal person stands no chance of remembering what they were all about, it's purely an exercise in deflecting liability.

I actually worked at a company that made software to test sales people to verify that they did indeed do the assigned training about selling XYZ, and that it was totally not company's fault when they were later caught lying their pants off about XYZ, thus preventing then from being able to sue for wrongful termination when caught.

I only recently realized in my heart of hearts that this is probably just so that the company has a legal shield for the shady behavior that they know is going on rather than preventing the shady behavior.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 17, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ieatsoap6 posted:

So who likes meetings? Who likes recurring meetings? What about recurring meetings at 4:30 on Fridays that habitually run well past 5:00? Hooray!

:suicide:

Bring beer to the meeting. Begin drinking at 5. Belch loudly.

My last employer had Happy Hour begin at 4:30 on Friday. You might have a meeting after happy hour, but no one would think less of you if you had a beer with you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sundae posted:

Ladies and gentlemen... my workplace.

Manager: "We're going to have our performance review soon, but I just wanted to share some feedback on your previous year's work from [two VPs and the site manager]."

Me: "Oh?"

Manager: "Yeah... they had some significant complaints with your handling of [investigation that wasn't handed to me until 83 days into its life-span, when it finally got so bad that it shut production down]."

Manager: "You see, they felt that you weren't responsive enough and that you were too risk-averse in your handling of it. They needed production up ASAP, and you made them wait while you ran five batches [two shifts of work, plus two days for analytical results] to confirm you had the right root cause."

Me: "This is a problem why?"

Manager: "You need to be less risk-averse. You need to run production at risk and let them produce more. You need to be part of the solution and not part of the problem, Sundae."

Me: "So to confirm: By requiring due diligence and not permitting production to make [product] at risk while we performed the investigation, they believe I'm part of the problem?"

Manager: "In a nutshell, yes. It's going to be a negative mark on your performance review."

Me: "Even though I still finished a complicated investigation and reached root cause in under a week, in spite of Operations holding onto it for 83 days before even contacting me to say they had a problem?"

Manager: "You need to be more proactive and take risks."

Did you ask what would have happened if you had shipped a batch that then turned out to be bad? Would that have been OK? If so, make sure you take the YOLO approach to QC in the future.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Videoconference all day every day.

VCs are wonderful (when someone else is handling the details) :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sundae posted:

As soon as my contract is up, I'm gone. I was an idiot and signed a relocation agreement. The penalties are enormous if I leave before my period's up.

Are there penalties if you get fired before your period is up? If there are you should lawyer up immediately, because I'm seeing an awful legal fight in the future when the scummy company tries to recoup costs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pleads posted:

I know it's mostly the only thing I post about, and I know the answer is "go elsewhere" (have started applying), but my salary negotiations stalled and died yesterday after my boss told me that they had a range available for the compensation in my new position, then told me they would not be offering more than the bare minimum of that range. Gave me the range they had available, and told me he would not offer more despite their offer being the bottom number of that range.

I just kind of stared at him.

Do the bare minimum, since that's all they're paying you for.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

For the guy running into the same people again at the next workplace, the higher you go the more this happens. You end up with a little community of people and you all know each other and keep running into each other at each place. People skills important, much?

Got a call today from the one in IT, the firm I've wanted to work for since I was a teenager. They're kicking off the most hardcore hiring process I've heard of, ending with a three hour interview involving a whiteboard and a panel. I'm both scared and nervous as poo poo and at the same time bursting with pride I've made it this far. We'll see.. but it's reassuring because if I don't get this I'm obviously doing the right things.

Half-day interviews are pretty common in IT / Software Engineering. If you're getting a phone screen or two and an in-person interview that lasts half a day; congratulations! You're interviewing for someplace at least half competent!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

IBM, HP, MS or Cisco. It's one of those. Bit scared really, when I've met their dudes when I've worked for other corps they're always another level technically. But if I don't get through, it at least means I'm getting past the gatekeepers and I should be able to find something else until I can try again later.

I sound like I've already accepted defeat..

On the one hand, you probably just have a healthy dose of Impostor Syndrome, which I've had red-lining for the last month since I started this job. So, you're probably fine.

On the other hand, I would not be terribly sad to be turned down by any of the companies that you posted. They're probably pretty rough to interview with. Just consider it practice if it happens, and try again in 6 months.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

topenga posted:

I had pegged OldManager as someone who would never leave the old place because his style seemed to fit so well. I was just really thrown that he was ready to leave shortly after most of us left (I think he was down to having 2 direct reports).

Full disclosure: In my new job, I work with 3 people from my former job. OldManager will make 4. I've never had this happen before (almost 40, this is literally my 4th job out of college) and actually find it funny, now. The new place is fantastic, btw.

In a weird twist of fate, I'm working with two people from my previous job, and I'm trying to get a friend from the job before that to apply here.

Having people you already know working with you rocks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MightyJoe36 posted:

Two questions about recruiters:

1. What is it with recruiters that keep trying to fill the same job for 2-3 months, but they refuse to raise their hourly rate. Do they think they're just going to wear people down? Or don't they care if they fill the position?

You're assuming that they CAN change the hourly rate. That might be dictated by someone well above them, possibly for an area of the country with a different cost of living. There might be a disconnect between the person paying the bills, and how much the job actually costs. Besides, the recruiter doesn't care about the quality of the candidate coming in; all they care is that they get hired.

quote:

2. I get 2-3 calls per week from recruiters who sound like they are calling from a call center in India. Are these legitimate recruiters, or just people trolling for information?

It could absolutely be either or. Someone could be outsourcing recruiters to india, but it could also be scammers trying to social engineer you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm guessing he doesn't have the authority to have lightning rods installed?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Do they have your favouritist clip art on them? The more obnoxious the clip art the more likely someone is to remember you! You will be marked more highly on mismatched colours, bad stretching and if the art is available and widely abused in MS office documents.
Oh my god, it even has a watermark!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

handbanana125 posted:

but the senior executive from Union Pacific going off on a rant on how fat people have no place in an office setting was totally worth sacrificing my entire weekend.

This sounds magical and I would like to hear more about what happened.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

handbanana125 posted:

Fat Men, Little Boys

:staredog:

"This is actually a great time to bring up our next subject; (decorum when speaking|seeing a therapist)."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

Why does 'being salaried' (full time) equate to no OT? That's ridiculous.

What a shithole.

Someone has never heard the phrase "Salaried Exempt" I see. The fun thing is that, as far as I know, the salary band doesn't increase with inflation. So, it's possible to be Salaried Exempt while making near minimum wage.

Naturally, we should all thank our aristocratic "job creator" overlords for this state of affairs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

It was. I explained then how that is. Think of it as a favour, when someone does you a favour you're not in a position to ask on the details. That's exactly the situation our young intern was in.

Do you seriously believe that giving internships is done as a favor or charity? :psyduck:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

edit: here is a thing I'd like some ideas on. So it's a technical interview and you're using a VoIP app like Skype or Lync or whatever. It's voice only. Is it cool for you to Google poo poo and use your computer while you're talking? If the interviewer hears you tapping away will it piss them off? A couple of times I referred to study notes because I had them right there.. but half way through I just stopped and started talking freely thinking this was ridiculous. I guess you could ask but then you get the thing of if you ask they have to say no, please answer from your experience while if you don't ask then you may be able to just do it.

It's probably expected that you not do that, but it won't hurt to ask.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You should change jobs if at all possible. Move if you have to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Spook posted:

gently caress everyone who can get a mortgage. I have zero sympathy for anyone who is in a position to apply for a mortgage.

At least there is still a bright side.

gently caress everyone.

The end.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Peven Stan posted:

I used to think I lucked out, having worked only for Fortune 100 best places to work for firms in the midwest. Something happened today that really shook my loving faith in corporate though and reminded me more of my of somewhat shady rough and tumble job doing union organizing right out of college. Got written up (first time since kindergarten, I swear) for taking some unplanned leave to drive my parents to the airport for an emergency. I was in a meeting at the time and my phone was on vibrate but kept on going off. I glanced at the lockscreen and saw all the texts indicating it was an emergent situation so I hastily excused myself and my boss told me it was ok, just shoot him an email to let him know what happened.

Lo and behold, I was about to leave this afternoon when he calls me into an unlit conference room and wants to have a "difficult conversation." I've been working at the firm for 9 months, no prior disciplines or anything. I figured he wanted to chew on me for goofing off on the internet (which I do legitimately do, but so does the entire department) but I was really shocked he was going to nail me for absenteeism with that emergency. He admitted it was a one off and that if it were up to him he'd just give me a stern warning to never let it happen again, however there were "other considerations" in play that went into his decision that he didn't elaborate on. So he talked about the charge and had me sign the form. It was so dim in the drat room I didn't see exactly what I was signing (ironically something I used to tell employees at our shops to not sign poo poo unless a shop steward was present) but it seems like by signing it I pretty much waived any ability to appeal to HR. It was also dropped on me as soon as I was packing up to leave for the day so there were less chances for me to kick up a storm and have to fight the murderous traffic home later.

I know I'm not a perfect employee and have committed more than my share of new office grunt fuckups, but this was genuinely out of left field. By management's own standards I was considered a top employee in terms of productivity and awarded time off in this respect.

This firm was renowned in the past for its family friendly policies and the people who referred me for the job all had nothing but nice things to say even when I would try to egg them on to complain about their jobs. Since last year and a new restructuring was put in I've noticed a lot of changes. For one, the people who referred me have left or are considering leaving and my linkedin network of people from this company has changed dramatically. Perhaps it's a sign of things to come for this company.

Yeah, this is a sign that you should probably be joining the people abandoning shop.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Keetron posted:

On a humane level this is actually an extremely lovely thing to do, there is no way to verify that indeed this was the plan and it is easily perceived as a way to keep you on board after which nothing changes. For example: HR did not approve, I am sorry but your promotion cannot go through. Or you will get a new title and a token raise after which nothing changes.

When finding a new job, how about turning the tables and say: "I would like to have a promotion with a significant raise and a move into an entirely different role with new responsibilities while dropping those I have now. No? Then sorry, but I quit." The worst that can happen is that they match your other offer and that you have to pick one.

The worst that happens is that you pick your current employer, and they go about quietly finding someone to replace you while you're working because they know that you're not happy and the promotion will probably only tide you over for a few months.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Renegret posted:

Other way around, I did an incredibly lovely job explaining it.

They're measuring time it takes to act on alerts that come in. Without going into too much detail, the alerts are coming in time stamped 10 minutes in the past. That means I'll get an alert at 10:10AM saying something broke at 10AM, and I need to have a ticket created by 10:15AM.

Also the ticketing system runs on a 5 minute cycle, so if I catch the back end of the cycle I come very close to missing SLA assuming I was right on it without a moment's delay.

The process is heavily automated, alerts come in, we verify, then send it to a ticketing queue where a ticket is automatically created and a bunch of scripts are ran on it. The only action we need to take is the validation aspect of it and sending it to the ticketing queue, but every attempt at automating the validation has failed miserably because our developers are just that bad and can't even get time stamps right. I understand why it doesn't work as far as the back end is concerned, but I don't give a poo poo because their gently caress up is making me look bad to management.

Sounds like a great entry for this thread!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Renegret posted:

Yeah, I've posted a few times there and I've read the entire thing but what I do isn't a very good fit.
I work at a NOC
I think it's hilarious because I have no involvement with it anymore, I don't have to touch it until it's fixed.

It is a good fit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

peter banana posted:

These are good but one thing that used to annoy me is that people used them weirdly. They'd send one message to get my attention, "Hi peter," and then be typing for ages, maybe get distracted themselves and I'd be waiting for their next message. Just ask what you want to ask in the first message, for God's sake.

This is the absolute worst, with people texting into IM clients as a close second. Motherfucker, you're an IT professional, you can spare the milliseconds to hit the y and o in you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Omne posted:

"In order to manage costs, we will be backfilling positions at lower levels. We are also freezing promotions. We are doing this in order to re-stock our teams with young talent."

I can't think of a way to NOT keep existing young talent worse than this. It screams short-sighted cost savings at the expense of employee recognition and advancement.

I have never heard this policy being so blatantly communicated before. You should capture this moment, like a beautiful sunrise, to put in the background of your eventual resignation letter.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

I work at a financial institution that can unlock doors for people :v:

You work for GM financing? They're the ones with OnStar, right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

dennyk posted:

Last place I worked at never gave raises at all for years (and it wasn't a nonprofit or some mom and pop small business or something, it was a good-sized multinational corporation). The only way to get a raise was to get promoted, and those increases were capped at 10% of your current salary regardless of what position you were moving to.

My current place gives annual raises, but they are usually pretty small. Got a really good review last year and I think my raise was about 4% or something. Still beats getting nothing while being paid less than half the average market rate for your position, I guess.

Getting a new job with a new company seems to be the best way to get a raise in a lot of cases, which is a really crappy aspect of our economy given that it's really wasteful to have everyone have to learn a new environment every few years.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pleads posted:

Sounds like a great chance for some $60/hr consulting.

$60? :psyduck:

Consulting should be $150/hr minimum, preferably $200. That's still peanuts to the department budget.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

rolleyes posted:

Quite. There was a guy over in one of the SH/SC threads last week who got a panicked call from his ex-employer (who had fired him without cause I think) because their network was down and his replacement couldn't figure it out. He knew what it was almost immediately, negotiated some sort of 4-figure fee to go in and fix it, and spent about 15 minutes on site IIRC.

This isn't about screwing anyone over, this is about remembering that your time and knowledge are valuable. You're doing something outside of your normal hours and they're coming to you because you hold specialist knowledge. Consider how much it would cost the other party to resolve the issue without your help, subtract a bit to show good faith, and then set your prices accordingly. If the other party doesn't agree then they don't pay you and you get to keep your free time, no sweat there. If they do agree then you're being appropriately compensated for your efforts. Doubly-so if it's with an ex-employer who fired you.

Basically, don't fall into the trap of using your normal hourly rate (or adjusted salary equivalent) as an appropriate starting point for out-of-hours special-case consultancy work.

The best part is that he offered to help for $1000, and his old boss countered with $100 and a pizza. So, he waited a day or two while the business was literally at a standstill, then negotiated with his old boss's boss to do it for what sounds like about $9000. His old boss STILL tried to find a way to throw him under the bus when he finished, too.

I still think they got off too cheap.

The point is, when offering your services to a company, don't just ask how much it's worth to you, ask how much it's worth to them too. Take the larger of these two numbers, and adjust upwards by a small amount, then bill that. If they fired you, double the number.

Fixing the God Spreadsheet that the business makes all of it's decisions on is probably worth more than $60/hr.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TrisIsPluto posted:

I feel like I should be documenting everything. Should I be documenting everything? Also please reassure me that the next few people we hire won't be idiots :(

You should be documenting everything. Also, see if you can set this person on a collision course with upper management. They'll either get him shitcanned or promoted within the hour.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

willus posted:

Volmarias, I'm 22 and I would consider about zero of those things appropriate, so don't worry we aren't all idiots.

I don't think I suggested otherwise? :confused:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Spermy Smurf posted:

The tomato plant has me laughing. Who could possibly think that's a fun idea that people would care about? Just buy lunch or donuts for everyone once or twice a quarter.

I would totally be down for the care and feeding of a potted tomato plant, it would be a soothing 5 minute diversion every day :shobon:

drat Bananas, you should probably get out of that job ASAP.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

There are definitely some good things in management books, but I've never read one that didn't pad its pagecount out to two or three times what was necessary to convey its message. That's really bad because it results in a writing style that comes across as tedious and really condescending, because the authors belabor each point with multiple examples which they explain at an elementary-school reading level.

But at least a book called the "No rear end in a top hat Rule" probably doesn't contain any parables involving cartoon mice and gnomes.

Actually there are, but the gnomes are totally dicks to the mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Berzerker posted:

I get this from students a lot. I don't know why they think I want to jump through hoops to send them a rejection letter.

Because they want to do something to make their resume stand out?