Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
What's with the weird by IP links in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Orgasmo posted:

My advise to college grads is to study what you have a passion for, and then find work in what you studied. Plain and simple. If you are in it for any other reason (money, fame, bitches) then quit now and switch majors. Your happiness and fulfillment is worth the change now to avoid career regret later.

Isn't that a great way to set someone up for unemployment and debt?

I think study is a means to an end, people need to figure out what they want in a career, what kind of lifestyle/income they'd like and study accordingly.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Orgasmo posted:

It's more possible today because of the economy, I'll give you that. Arts and sciences are being slashed from public curriculums and are not considered essential.

Your approach is a bit utilitarian and doesn't really account for the soul-suckiness that tends to cluster around professions that just provide material comforts.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should shoot for something that they'll enjoy doing, but they should be aware of the trade offs.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, so they tried to get away with not paying their share of withholding taxes? I hope the IRS reamed them a new rear end in a top hat.

This practice is common in some industries, I have no doubt that with high unemployment it's only getting worse.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Wake_N_Bake posted:

vvv for the record I'm an awesome boss :(

I hope you get outsourced to Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Astro7x posted:

. How can your job be justified if you are basically not there 1 month out of every year?

How can yours be justified if you don't work 12x7? It's all relative. A month of PTO gives you 2 weeks over Christmas and 2 weeks some other time to go somewhere nice or take your kids on vacation. It's totally reasonable.