Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
My first job out of college was your typical corporate atmosphere - they expect the job to become your life, so of course you'd want to sacrifice your life for it because what else are you alive for? It simply didn't register to management that some people didn't give a poo poo about banking software and were just there for the paycheck.

At any rate, I was placed in the department that customizes the base product for a particular client. Since we were the most visible to the customer, we were also massively overworked to prove to the customer: We'll Kill Ourselves For You.

The project I'm eventually on leads up to crunch time, which I should use loosely because it entailed three months of working ten hour days (plus weekends) in the office, and a three-month stay in Green Bay customizing the software on-site. There's nothing to do in Green Bay (I don't care about football), and I didn't get along with my co-workers, so this was pretty much hell. We got one rental car to share between five people, so I couldn't even leave the hotel most of the time.

After putting in six months of unpaid overtime, the project was finally complete. I was about to fly back home for a well-deserved weekend of rest, and I asked my boss if I could take the following Monday off. He looks around and slyly tells me that I can take a sick day if I want, and that it'll just be our little secret. I asked if I could come in a little late, to which he responded I needed to be there ready to go at 9am.

After giving the company at least a month of free work in overtime, my boss acts like he's doing me a favor by letting me use some of my entitled off-time after completing a huge project. To this day I can't believe they can get away with treating their employees that way.

The mentality preached at us over and over again was that we should "be flexible," which of course is code for "work for free." After realizing that the company had no intention of repaying the kindness I'd shown it, I started working six hour days, slacking off at work, and eventually up and quit for a contract position. Life's much better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU