Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Michael Kelso posted:

I've been "teamed" to death. There's a "team" for every god damned thing in my company. The whole organization that I live and breathe in (the IT branch of the corp) has been so ridiculously compartmentalized that it feels like nobody has any authority to do anything anymore. On top of that, they're dissolved and reformed without reason or notice so if you try to get something done that you haven't in a while, there's a smug email about how you need to be filling out such-and-such form you've never heard of and contacting such-and-such team you've never heard of.

A lot of my complaints are probably somewhat at fault of the fact that I'm a remote IT admin in a company with a HUGE main office where all of the IT authority resides. I'm pretty sick of being treated like I'm a dick for not following a policy because I was never told.

This is my work life summed up in two nice little paragraphs. I work in a branch office for a company that is barely over 100 employees total. The home office is halfway across the state and if there are policy or procedural changes it is never communicated to the branch offices. This 100 or so person company has the bureaucracy of IBM or Microsoft, I'm sure of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

mr_cardholder posted:

This video is a fairly good summary of my life in corporate IT:

there is no arrange by penis option.

It's a great life if you can put up with annoying, dimwitted, technically incompetent sales people all day.

Somehow I have never seen this one before. Hilarious.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

WarLocke posted:

There's being an rear end in a top hat, then there's sending someone halfway around the world and then firing them when/where they can't fight it or even look for a new job. :colbert:

When I worked for Electronics Boutique back in the late 90's they had one of their managers meetings in Las Vegas. One of the managers received an award for sales achievement, was called up on stage in front of 1000 some employees, managers from around the country, executives, etc.

Directly after he walked off the stage he was called out of the meeting hall and told he was being fired for theft. EB loss prevention had an investigation going on him for months prior and decided to fire him, of all places and times, in Las Vegas at a managers meeting. They flew him out there knowing beforehand that they were going to terminate him.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

So, was the measurement actually off or was there no resolution to it?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Here's my fun little corporate nugget for the day.

I work in operations for a small regional ISP. We have an on-call schedule in which several of us are on an after hours rotation. We also have a vacation calendar where everyone documents their requested and approved vacation days.

The on-call schedule hadn't been updated past June of this year until this morning. Several of us in the group had already submitted and had approved vacation for June, July, and August.

I get this email this morning -

quote:

"Gentlemen,

I have completed the Tier 2 on-call rotation through the 2nd week of January '11. I did go back and check the existing NOC calendar and see where several of you have times out of the office that happen to fall on your scheduled rotation. Please work with your teammates and manager to secure coverage for those events. Thanks!

Signed - Ignoramus"

Translation -

quote:

"I knowingly scheduled several of you guys to be on-call after hours during your previously scheduled vacation days. You go ahead figure it out amongst yourselves. Good luck!"

gently caress you, idiot.