Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Most of the companies I have worked for don't seem to realize that their business is riding on an IT backbone and if there is no IT, it won't go very well.

Last company the CEO decided he wanted to see what the grunts do. He ventured out of his million dollar + home to pay us IT folk a visit. He does this in the shortest way possible - 1 hr time slots for two groups to give a presentation. UNIX and SAP are together as SAP was running on the UNIX boxes. The whole time my manager was giving a presentation, he was picking his fingernails, looking anywhere but the powerpoint slides, etc. Later he expected everyone in the company to pay attention to his boring poo poo about boring poo poo.

I'd say about 85% of management in most corporations are not needed.

I hate that my job is being threatened while they are hiring more project managers and other managers for some reason. When you lay everyone off, who will the managers manage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Sundae posted:

I will actually have to leave the company first. You cannot transfer to a higher-level position within the same company.

The way you actually get promoted here as a non-exec is to apply to another company at a higher position than your current one, stay there a few years, then get hired back by your original company at yet another higher position.

Here's our internal rules in short-hand:

#1 - You may not be promoted more than once in ten years.
#1b - You cannot receive a rating greater than "meets expectations" in your first year in a new position or promotional level.
#1c - You must have multiple consecutive 'exceeds expectations' years to be eligible for a promotion. 85% of employees will receive "meets" or lower, in a skewed bell-curve.
#2 - You must fulfill both performance, experience, and promotional-time requirements in order to reach a new position.
#3 - Internal percentages of each class of employee must be maintained. If a promotion would throw off those percentages, it cannot be done.
#4 - You may not attain a managerial position without a MBA, period.
#5 - Internal transfers may only be lateral or downward. You may not apply internally to a higher-ranked position.
#5b - You may not apply for internal transfers within your division of the company.

This sounds scarily like the company I used to work for.

I just love that most HR departments do not have a career path set up for anything but management. I don't want to be a manager. I don't want to be forced in that path, yet when I ask HR for a non-managerial IT path they look at me like I just stabbed them and their baby.