Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
For a year I worked in an office with 6 women. I had my own office in a little out of the way corridor of the building. I didn't have a ton of interaction with the rest of them during the day except at lunch when we all ate in the lunch room. Then the colour printer arrived!

There was no more room for this monster laser printer in the main office so they stuck it in the corner of my office and whenever someone printed off something they needed in colour, they came to my office to pick it up . . . and bitch about the other women in the office. I don't know what it is about women, but they love to bitch to guys about the other women they are friends with. I'd be plugging away at my work and giving the occasional "uh-huh" and "yep" while they would complain about the other girls.

One day the boss show up (we're a satellite office) and comes into my office, she closes the door and starts telling me about my inappropriate conduct. Seems the 35-50 year old cows who I worked with would complain to me, then go to the person they complained about in the office and tell them how I don't really care for them. I guess a few of them complained higher up, hence the visit from the boss. I spent a good hour talking about this situation, and how I don't really know any of them that well, and given the 15-30 year age difference, plus the gender difference I don't really find anything they have to say interesting.

Luckily she believed me, gave me a company required verbal warning, and left some workplace pamphlets on appropriate office behaviour.

Before she left, I asked if I could move the printer to the main office. She agreed and we put it there. Working with women (as the only guy there) really sucks, and if you're not super vigilant it can cost you your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

melon cat posted:

- The people who do the "busy walk" and act all frazzled, despite the fact that they're the least productive employees on the floor.

My favourite people are the upper level managers who have not had any actual work or real responsibility since the late 90's (due to better technology automating stuff) and have realized that the recent economic disaster might mean someone in the company could find out they're being paid upwards of $200,000 a year to do a redundant job (stamp a seal of approval between two other layers of approval).

My cousin works at some manner of trading firm as a section manager or something. He takes his section's work, double checks it, makes sure it meshes with the other section's work, does his thing (usually coordinating with another branch or company) and then sends it up the ladder. His boss's only job is to stamp it and send it up the ladder. The guy is literally that dude from office space who made the "jump to conclusions mat". Realizing this, he's added a whole bunch of useless steps to his job which requires everyone under him doing 50% more work just so he can have a few more papers attached to whatever project with his signature on it. These papers are chocked full of redundant information that's already included in the actual work, but requires people under him to sift though countless pages, cherrypicking stats and numbers to plunk into his stupid graphs and charts.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm a supply teacher in Ontario right now and it sucks to try and get a full time position. The province is 60,000+ students less than last year, and ~7000 teachers too many. Being a guy in his late 20's it's super hard to get work since the elementary schools only hire mid 20's women who weigh more than 190 lbs. But that's a different story.

So there are very few openings for full time employment, and subbing is the way most of us make money (and by make money I actually mean slowly lose money). There is lots of subbing work out there but guess who gets it all?

loving RETIRED TEACHERS!!!

These stupid cocksuckers are not content to live off their cushy pensions, but they need to steal work from us as well. They get hired because they know all the principals and vice principals out there and like everywhere, "it's who you know". Since they are teachers with years of experience they usually get a fair chunk of change more for subbing that us. . . this costs the province a shitload of money! What's even worse is that they are collecting their pensions and not paying into them. . .

They're not only stealing money from us now in the form of tax dollars and actual teaching work, but they are draining the pension fund, stealing our future earnings! There are new teachers out there trying to start families, buy a house, move out of mom and dad's place and these old fucks are trying to get some extra bank so they can add another wing to their house or spend another month in Mexico. I went to volunteer in a school to get a foot in the door there and a loving ex-vice principal was subbing there, and informed me that she had snagged all the planned teacher absences for the entire year.

It was all I could do to not spit in her face and call her a thieving bitch.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
After reading the countless stories of people being fired over stupid loopholes and backstabbing by managers I'm still wondering how there are not more office shootings out there. Maybe people are going on to better jobs, but drat! From what I've read I'd expect a daily occurrence of "rear end in a top hat manager gunned down while getting out of his Porsche" in the news.

Here's my story about being fired. (sorry It's so long)

I was working one summer for an engineering company that was overseeing a highway being redone. I was supposed to be doing computer work (recording all the ton-miles, amount of materials used, etc) but somehow ended up outside recording truck mileage/load weight and dumping location. Basically we had to work out how much the truckers got paid based on how much they carried, how far, and what materials. I would record their info, write them a ticket with that info, and keep a copy. This would usually end up being about 200-300 tickets a day. I would usually keep them separated in groups of 50 to keep them manageable.

One day my manager Judy, a cantankerous old bitch started reaming me out that my tickets were not in order. I told her the tickets were divided according to trucking company (three different ones) and they were in chronological order (most recent on the bottom of the pile). Since this was how it was supposed to be entered into the computer she stood there for a second and I could tell she was trying to think of something wrong. . .

:j: "you should put the oldest on the top."
:v: "That's how I've been doing them."
:j: "Well do it the other way!"
:v: "Ok maam! I'll be sure to do it. Sorry for that mistake."
:j: "You're getting a written warning!"

Three days later at the end of my shirt I get called to the office (portable office that's on the side of the highway. I go in and my boss Judy is there with her boss (her husband Rick).

:v: "Uhh, what's the problem?"
:bahgawd: "Judy says that you've been having trouble with your tickets!"
:j: "That's right he was making a mess of them."
:v: "No, there was just a miscommunication earlier, it's been resolved!"
:bahgawd: "Now who do I believe here?"
:v: "I worked the computer for a week and the way the tickets are entered into the system are as such . . . "
:bahgawd: "Yes, that's right!" But last night you made a mess of things!"
:v: "How so?"
:bahgawd: " Look at this pile!" (I forgot to put a pile of 50 tickets in the backwards order Judy wanted.
:j: It will take me 30 minutes to fix this mess.

(I reach over and turn the pile upside down and pick up a ticket, flipping it in the process).

:bahgawd: "Are you trying to be a smartass! That pile is upside down!

(I pick up the pile and take the top ticket and place it on the desk top with the second ticket being placed over it, etc. Total time 25 seconds.

:bahgawd: "I don't think I like your attitude!"
:v: I quit!

Turns out they were just looking for an excuse to fire me so they could replace me with their daughter who had just lot her job coaching figure skating. Before I left one of the truckers asked why I was packing up and I explained the situation. When I ran into one of the guys from the engineering firm later that summer he said every trucker from then on signed the tickets "Idiot run engineering firm" instead of the actual name of the firm. One night Judy and Rick must have spend hours pre-filling in the name of their firm so the truckers would stop writing the other stuff, which must have taken countless hours. . . which the truckers just crossed out and re-wrote their original slander. The firm finally had to go and spend a few thousand to have custom made tickets that had the name of their firm already filled in. . . which the truckers still crossed out the name of. The reason why this was so important is that the Ministry of Transportation (or some other government agency) has to see the tickets to make sure everything is ligit and nobody is fudging the numbers. This also wouldn't be the best advertising for the firm to have three different trucking companies calling them idiots. I spent the rest of my summer working masonry with my uncle for a little less, but without the headache, while Judy and Rick spent the rest of their summer trying to reason with their bosses who were wondering why all the truckers through they were idiots.

I loving love truckers!

Blistex fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 30, 2010

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm sure I can assume what Judy and Rick did, but you didn't finish your post. :)

I've worked a (thankfully) few jobs where that kind of nepotism is prevalent. It's hard to criticize, fix or work around a top-level decision when every manager is related to the guy. The kids don't want to go against their dad because then they'll have to find a real job (my immediate manager used to have a dog entered in Superdogs as the sum total of her work experience after getting an M. Eng in chemical engineering).

In the future, I should probably ask about it in interviews. "Will you be deliberately obstructionist when I try to actually solve a problem because your daddy might be temporarily upset and make Thanksgiving dinner awkward?"

e: I just remembered she met her husband at work too. :psyduck:

The school board I work for has an administration that's completely interbred or related to each other by marriage. One girl went from being a teacher for 3-4 years to being the principal of the largest school in the board just because her mom was the head of the board.