Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
I did about two years in a small office setting. It was a small web design and hosting company, who I'm incredibly surprised is still in business. None of their software was paid for. None of it. At all. While I've been told that some software piracy is common in businesses, not a single thing we ran on any of our computers or servers was paid for. Operating systems, programs, nothing. Though I think the company would get into bigger poo poo because of it because they actually run some services for the US government.

Network guy was a typical fatty fat fat, who lost most of his sense of smell and his meals showed it, stinking up the office every single day. Also had a major phlegm problem, constantly clearing his throat.

The coworker across from me also had a throat clearing problem, though instead of coughing or doing the "Ahem" or some variation of it thing to clear his throat, it was always a guttural "HHHHHHNNNNNNNNN!", like he was dropping some major bricks in his cubical.

The biggest dickweed in the company though was our... gently caress, I don't even know what his job title was supposed to be. I think he was marketing or something like that. But essentially, it was his duty to bring in work for us and ever since he took over, there was no work for us to do. After months of his fuckery and lack of jobs, there was a meeting with everyone in the office and it was revealed that this sort of thing was no longer his job so he hadn't been doing it. He attempted to shift his duties over to everyone else in the office, saying that we should be helping to bring in work and it was now our responsibility. Of course, neither of the owners knew or approved this sort of move, but he didn't check with them in the first place, the owners finally finding out about it months down the line. So what the gently caress was he doing in that time?

Mostly, he was trying to get people in the office such as myself and HHHHNNNN guy to work on his stupid, half thought out schemes in the form of several businesses that he ran on the side. He wanted us to design, set up and run websites for him for these businesses, a task which we would constantly dodge.

I eventually left the company because of lack of work, which was another annoyance of the job. See, they didn't pay you hourly or salary, they paid you hourly while you were working on a project. So basically, failed marketing guy wasn't bringing in work, so hardly any of us were making any money. Oh, and they mostly expected you to be in the office. So basically, they expected me to make the hour and a half commute to sit on my rear end for 8 and 1/2 out of the 9 hours I was supposed to be there, get paid for the half hour of actual work I had, then drive the hour and a half home.

I was told that Failed Marketing Guy eventually was fired, not because of his gross incompetence, but because he actually moved halfway across the country, continued to collect paychecks from the company and DIDN'T ACTUALLY INFORM ANYONE IN THE COMPANY THAT HE WAS MOVING. He would log into the system remotely, do some bullshit updates and claim he was working from home. His home that was now a thousand miles away from us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

E the Shaggy posted:

There's an older secretary in my office who works down the hall who clears her throat every 30 minutes. I can hear her everytime she does it as if she were sitting right next to me, thats how loud it is. Its the most disgusting poo poo ever.

Okay, now imagine that, if it actually was less than ten feet away from you, every ten to fifteen minutes. I am completely not exaggerating here. All day long, I was assaulted by disgusting throat clearing on two sides of me and I think I may have damaged my hearing because of how loud I had to turn up my headphones to drown them out. For fucks sakes, I'm a heavy smoker and I don't nearly have the sort of problems these guys had.