Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Winkle-Daddy posted:

:bang: Okay, so...it is the job of the Manager to hold each individual on his or her team accountable to their individual goals. If the manager is good, and the team meets those goals, then the manager gets a good bonus. I am not a manager and I need individual goals that I have 100% control over. That's kind of the difference between being an employee like me, and a manager like you.
:downs: Oh! I see what you're saying and that makes perfect sense. I don't know how I thought my way was fair. So, you need goals specific to you.
:bang: Yes, do you have any ideas around that?
:downs: Sure, your individual goal is to improve the team's stats!

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I wish I was joking. My job is mostly awesome, but sometimes I just want to :smithicide:

This is when you ask him when your promotion to management goes into effect and how much of a raise that involves. I mean, if he wants your goals to be management ones, then now you're management, right?

I wouldn't last a week in corporate. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Scrapez posted:

The company has laid off our whole testing group so I now write, test and implement my own code. :pwn:

Don't test the code unless they start paying you to do so?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Not to ruin your day or single you out but those people make you take pictures off of the camera because they know you'll do it.

If it's not your responsibility just say "I'll try" and then never do it or people will walk all over you. It's their rear end not yours.

This. Get your responsibilities in writing. Not some generic 'be a team player' stuff, that's a license to use and abuse you. Get specific responsibilities on paper, and pull it out when they want you to do something new. Hell, get everything in writing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Chemmy posted:

That's not what I mean. If your boss tells you to do something and you're "that's not my job" guy you're the first guy getting fired when work gets tight.

True enough. This is why I'm not in a corporate job, because I'm tired of playing the game. For someone already in that kind of a trap, though, it's maybe not such good advice.

I just don't react well to being the guy who's willing to go above and beyond, and gets taken advantage of. Enough that losing a job isn't enough of a deterrent to get me to put up with it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Think of it more as being an efficient resource.

Oh, yeah, I have no problem with that. Being more useful is good. It's when they want you to be more useful for the same pay and then promote the guy who's work is actually being done by you that flips my lid.

If my job is to do X, and you want me to do X + Y (where Y is not something simple like make coffee, it's actually more work/responsibility) I have no problem doing both, so long as I'm getting paid for both X and Y.

Unfortunately that's not what happens in the real world.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

runupon cracker posted:

I figure either we're going to have a nice day (it's been raining recently) where I can take a 1-2 hour jaunt in the afternoon to get the key done, or the secretary will get sick of Kirk not having a key and get one made for him. Which do you suppose will happen first?

If the boss dude told her to make a copy and she decided to just give you the other guy's key, then gently caress her. You got a key, like the boss said, it's no business of yours how she did it. When the other guy gets back and needs a key she can make a copy of 'her' key. Like she was told to do.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

Later they downsized entire departments by raising their weekly minimum call-volume requirements to just above the levels the best people had been able to obtain on their best weeks. However they had been giving out awards for excellent performance all along, and oddly didn't make any changes to that program. The end result was that I lost my job for performing poorly for the past two weeks, while I had already earned a little plaque for outstanding performance during one of those same two weeks.

I read so many posts where this happens. Is there any legal recourse for an employee in this scenario? It's bullshit that an employer can say "You're not meeting the impossible goals we set for you, so you're fired" just because they don't want to pay you anymore. :argh:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

Here's the real gold-standard of fuckery though. The primo corporate poo poo. People from my callcenter were offered the chance to volunteer to go to India for a while (6 weeks I think) to train the new techs there in-person. In many ways it sounded like a good deal. A free trip to a far-away land, some of your living expenses paid while there, and possibly most importantly it was implied heavily that doing something this big and important was a fast-track to promotions. (or at least much better job security) "I went to India for the company" should sound good on a performance review after all.

The techs went to India, and all was well.
For about the first third of the trip.
Then they got their pink-slips.

They were informed that their jobs at home had been downsized while they were away. So while this groups still had jobs for the duration of this trip, the moment they touched down in the USA again, they were out on the street. There was nobody to talk to about this, HR and any managers they had previously were on the other side of the planet now. On top of that, it's sure not easy to hand out resumes and go to job interviews when you're stuck 8000 miles away from home.

How is that not blatantly illegal?

Just goes back to my work policy of 'get everything in writing'. You want me to go to India? Sure, put it in writing that I get a promotion when I'm done and we're go!

(Followed quickly by me flying out the door, and in fact not going to India. Oh well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

McBeth posted:

It's not illegal to be an rear end in a top hat.

There's being an rear end in a top hat, then there's sending someone halfway around the world and then firing them when/where they can't fight it or even look for a new job. :colbert: