Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

MelonWheels posted:

I think this sums it up for me, on corporate culture at least: I wish I could get a job where they just pay me money, and not have to look at it like it's my exciting career. Making people believe work is fun has got to be the most absurd irony of human history.

This, and I abhor the co-workers that have such uninteresting lives that they use their job to define their personal lives. Everything they do revolves around how many friends they can build up at work so that their shoddy performance is overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
"Thank God it's Friday!!"

SHUT THE gently caress UP

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

ericdrawback posted:

A small part of me dies every time I have to end an email with "Please advise"

Please Advise killed off whatever was left that it could kill, years ago. It has since taken full control over the part of my brain that turns nastygrams into cordial nastygrams.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Office work sucks, at least the instant coffee is free.

Ah yes, the cheap and bitter coffee that only makes you cheaper and bitterer over time.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Risky posted:

So loving glad I went into nursing. The respect, perks and pay that come from nursing far outweigh the thought of having to go to some cubicle prison 5 days out of the week and sit at a computer. It's enough to blow my brains out.

A notable difference between your job and ours is that we're still just kissing the asses.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

qa6 posted:

It's just a polite way of acknowledging someone when you pass them. Getting worked up because it's not an honest, deep and meaningful exchange is pretty silly.

It's irritating when you change things up and realize the other person is in complete automaton mode and has no interest in how you really are.

But I will definitely try the cantaloupe and terribly awful thing. Robotic Hobo has it right that cadence is all the greeter's mind is starving for.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

the posted:

And how many were there? :f5:

The synergistic attributes of the reports do not necessarily qualify them as value-added procedurals. Let's develop an action plan moving forward to dummy-down the number of standards documents; I'll ping the team for a power lunch tomorrow.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Weiner Hog posted:

But it does serve a purpose. I suppose you've never done it, eh?

I'm not claiming that I've never done it. I readily admit to doing it, but I became conscious of what I was doing and that it was basically meaningless. If it bored me to tears, it probably was boring to the other person, so I changed my approach to small-talk and try to engage people by active listening and speaking more meaningfully.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

the posted:

I'm happy to say that I only have 4 months left at my soulless corporate call center job. I'm heading back to college in August to pursue a PhD in Astrophysics.

That's quite the leap but congratulations all around. What did you Master in, if not Physics, that put you at a dredge job?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I'm in similar straits. I expressed interest in and was aggressively pursued by a local college's admissions dept to enroll in a corporate MBA program.

My employer subsidizes most of the cost. This is pretty much the only "raise" I'll be able to give myself for three years of stagnant wages and unfulfilled promises, and to be honest I was floored I was even approved for a program that comes a little under $50k for 18 months.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Wagoneer posted:

What the gently caress is up with people talking to me in the goddamn bathrooms? It only happens here.

I don't know but nothing breaks the tension, or silence for that matter, quite like a powerful, meaty fart.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

the posted:

:v: "Yeah and I told her about that last ni-HRRRGGGGGFF*" *plop* "last night. Yeah, hold on." *wipes rear end* *flushes*

When I worked as a summer intern at D.C. (no blowjobs) I once walked into a large men's room where two seated occupants were conversing over the stall walls amid what could only be described as a re-enactment of a Pacific theater naval battle.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

saints gambit posted:

:words:

Beautiful.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

pelswick posted:

did they have to yell? just yelling back and forth casually like two guys in a loud bar

Sound carries pretty well in tiled bathrooms. I wouldn't say yelling, just speaking loudly and clearly to penetrate the echo amid the sound of fresh poo poo falling into water.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

Last Christmas they decided not to take us out for dinner in a restaurant or give us money. Instead we had a company "open house", where everyone was asked to bring something.

The one before that we had a white elephant gift exchange! Aaaand it was a disaster. One manager opened his present, and it was a really thoughtful handmade knit hat (made by a rank-and-file employee). The rear end in a top hat just tossed it on the ground next to his chair with evident disdain and sat there with his arms crossed the rest of the time. He was complaining about it loudly to one of his buddies later.

At the same event, one of my friends took it really seriously and spent some money. She went out and bought a pretty nice bottle of vodka. And what did she get in return? The VP of Sales had someone make a joke calendar of the Marketing Director's face photoshopped onto pictures of bodybuilders. She was in tears afterward.

This is so tragic and awkward, it could very well be an episode of The Office.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

bleedbackwards posted:

My dad worked dangerous oilfield jobs his whole life and died young so that I could get an education and I wouldn't have to do the same poo poo. I just find it annoying that suburban kids think it's some kind of glorious sacrifice to trade air-conditioned offices for jobs where you're treated as an automaton that gets spit out after your health is failing and you've provided all that you're worth. It belittles the sacrifices of the people who work these jobs because they grew up in poverty, didn't get a chance for an education, and don't have many other options because they have families to feed.

It's not an insult, it's people giving in to their humanity.

People simply get tired of sitting on their asses and feel the pull of physical activity, any activity. It's normal, and while it may seem very "grass is greener", you have to understand that the human body wasn't exactly designed to sit on a chair for hours on end staring at TPS reports. At some point, people, mostly guys I'd guess, just want to swing a jackhammer and destroy poo poo and sweat out mandrops. This is the force that essentially engendered the concept of the weekend warrior.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

You have been in an office too long, you don't swing a jackhammer, sorry.

drat I pretty much owned myself there didn't I.

Regarding Freud, are you suggesting that weekend warriors use sport/physical exertion to express their primal instincts? I never looked at it that way but personally it makes sense, I tend to get a gleam in my eye following a workout.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

I do have a question, though: how'd you all end up in office work? Is this something you wanted to do in college and really thought that you'd enjoy, or just something that ended up happening? I've never worked in corporate, just retail (and you can recall from our retail thread how full of poo poo those places are).

My advise to college grads is to study what you have a passion for, and then find work in what you studied. Plain and simple. If you are in it for any other reason (money, fame, bitches) then quit now and switch majors. Your happiness and fulfillment is worth the change now to avoid career regret later.

I didn't jump into corporate, we fell into each other. It was convenient (IT), and made sense at the time since I've always been into computers and it paid pretty good. Now I'm regretting not going the earth sciences route. I would be paid less but it would be a kind of 'ignorance is bliss' deal since I probably wouldn't have gone into corporate.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Wagoneer posted:

Just curious to see how many bosses everyone has.

I have 5.

Actual boss bosses or are we talking up the chain of command here?

Chain of command: 5

Actual bosses: 1 but I have taken orders from as many as 3, where 1 and 2 were direct reports of 2 and 3 respectively. I hope that explains it but if not then refer to the Zybourne Clockian description of time.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

sanchez posted:

Isn't that a great way to set someone up for unemployment and debt?

I think study is a means to an end, people need to figure out what they want in a career, what kind of lifestyle/income they'd like and study accordingly.

It's more possible today because of the economy, I'll give you that. Arts and sciences are being slashed from public curriculums and are not considered essential.

Your approach is a bit utilitarian and doesn't really account for the soul-suckiness that tends to cluster around professions that just provide material comforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

I got my tuition paid on a graduate degree in business management while I was here, though most of what I learned was BS. But we all knew that anyway.

This is exactly what I'm doing now. Fellow corporate drones, raises are not coming anytime soon for most of us. If your company subsidizes school tuition, go back to school while those programs are still available because I have a feeling employers are going to start cutting those programs out of budget.