Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I used to work at a local art gallery for about a year. I had a number of duties, from filing to being an "icebreaker" during show openings to framing some works. I'm also an artist myself, but let me tell you, I hate the art world. It's a horribly pretentious world with a smattering of actually talented and humble people, and the rest are crude hacks with a sky-high sense of entitlement. The hoity-toityness also extended to many of the staff. I think 3 of the people I worked with were great, and the rest were just awful, sneering asskissers who were always at the ready to fawn all over whichever big-name artist was displaying their glossy turds in the gallery at the time.

I was very vocal about which art was crap and it caused visibly horrified reactions in the jerkstaff, which was very satisfying. One of said pieces: A huge painting about 6'x8'. Well, not so much a painting, because it looked like a completely blank canvas. Upon asking the assistant curator what the hell it was supposed to be, I was told that it was a brilliant work, and actually was painted with large chunks of 3 different shades of white. The price tag to own this masterpiece? $30,000. I laughed and said it was garbage. She was speechless.

Thankfully, my boss was one of the cool people I worked with. She went and told him what I had said and he also laughed and said, "I agree!"

I was happy when I finally was able to get out of there. In some ways it was worse than retail, because lovely customers come and go, but lovely co-workers are always there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU