Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This is a great thread because I've found myself venting about my job in other threads that have absoloutely no relevance to what I'm ranting about.

First off, right out of college I went into Law Enforcement. It's what I always wanted to do and I was thrilled to get into it. But after being passed over for a promotion, I got a little disgruntled but kept in and didn't let it affect my work. One day, a friend of the family asked me to do some work on his computer for a marketing campaign that his company was doing and offered to pay me a few bucks. Since I knew Adobe, I dove right in and came up with some stuff that apparently impressed his boss. They called me in and offered me a job as the head of marketing and to send me to get my MBA. Being young and naive, I jumped on it because "Wow, loads more money automatically means awesomeness, right?".

I've been at the company for 6 years. It's a relatively large manufacturing and service firm in a niche market that is doing pretty well. Unfortunately, we are run by a bunch of incompetent jackasses that continually make things harder than they really should be. We have a VP that is constantly micromanaging every little thing that we do, but can't keep himself organized to save his life. Keeps key information to himself for days without forwarding it to the appropriate people to you know, actually act on it. Then gets pissy and blames it on everyone else in the office for not taking care of a project or customer on time - all the while he was the one that sat on it for a week. He has a family that lives in a different state and he's very open and forthcoming about how he has never had any role in his families life (Wife & kids) and how he expects everyone in the company to be the same way. He's been there three years and he hasn't even gone home to visit his family for Christmas. Just sends checks to keep his "marriage" and kids happy.

Then we've got the usual jackasses who don't do anything during the work day aside from give their work to everyone else in the office. One guy started giving me quotations, contracts, and work orders to do. I made the mistake of doing one, "being a team player", and he started piling it all on me. I refused to do his job and I got called out on it because I wasn't being a "team player". So now not only do I handle marketing, but all of the quotes, contracts, and pretty much any customer interaction that they have with our company. While the guy sits at his desk playing with his laptop and telling fishing stories to everyone that walks by.

We've got the whole "when something happens, fix it and then pretend like it never happened" approach down to an art form. The VP is constantly adding new layers of needless bureaucracy to even the most trivial task, making something that should take 5 minutes take literally hours. Want to send a quote or just a mere response back to a customer? Send it through 5 people to get their approval before you do it. Then send it to him and he may or may not get to it within a day or two. Hold meetings about every little thing that goes on during day to day operations that last for hours and everyone spends the entire time going in circles or just trying to figure out what the meeting is about and what the guy really wants.

I've actually started filing applications for federal and state law enforcement jobs. I traded one bunch of incompetent blowhards for another, even larger group of completely idiotic blowhards, and I regret it. Money or not.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

melon cat posted:

My favourite parts about the corporate world:

- Retarded lingo: synergy, "it is what it is", touch base, verbage, etc. These buzzwords are often used by clueless people running board meetings who forgot to put the Powerpoint together.

- The people who do the "busy walk" and act all frazzled, despite the fact that they're the least productive employees on the floor.

- Getting pulled off the floor for the mandatory performance review/impromptu meeting/bake sale organized by HR, only to be told that we weren't paid for the time they pulled us off of the floor.

The big lingo phrase at my office is "the thing being is" prefaced before any sentence that comes out of the President or VP's mouths. It's as if they just chose it at random and decided that it would make them sound smarter and more authoritative.

And we've got one guy that runs around going "Shhhhew, I'm all covered up" whenever anyone asks him a question or just in random conversation. The dirty little secret is that he doesn't do anything during the day aside from surf the internet for material for his church sermons. Yes, he's a preacher and the worst loving employee in the entire company - and he's the "Office Manager".