Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

ODC posted:

Anyone else eagerly anticipating Friday? I can't wait to wear jeans.

Haha!

...God I hate my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
At my job, everyone there uses un-powdered gloves when doing lab work except for this one older guy who has to use powdered gloves because his hands sweat so much. Then when he takes off his gloves, he gets powder all over loving everything. You'll go to open the door to an office, and there's powder on the door knob. There will be loving sweaty powder on the phone. You'll see a loving powder hand print on the window in the door.

My job is pretty killer, though. I recently got promoted to management and will be in charge of training. I'm not taking on any extra responsibilities right now though because we've had a few people quit and a few new people get hired, and the rest of management wants to wait for the newly hired people to be trained before they train me to be the trainer... So basically I got a 50% raise to let them have someone from a different branch come here to do the job they just promoted me to do. This has been going on since early February, and I realistically foresee this continuing through June, due to corporate office dumb-assery and management incompetence.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I work in management at a plasma center. The center manager is in pretty well with the people at the corporate office, and often gets told things that many other centers aren't privy to. Apparently some idiot in management at one of the other centers has been downloading tons of crap on their computer, and now IT is spending all week monitoring everyones internet usage.

Now, I don't do anything inappropriate on the computer. I'll read some news articles and stuff like that when I have some down time, but now I can't even do that. Everyone else uses pandora and poo poo while in their office. I've always just used my phone while in my office, so I don't mind that much.

One of our procedures changes lately, and it's the most rear end backwards policy ever. I'm not going to explain it in depth because it's pretty technical, but management at our center and another center has been fighting with the quality assurance manager at the corporate level about it for a few weeks now. It's inefficient, counter productive, literally results in a loss of revenue, and the reason it was put into place is completely redundant. There are already several different layers of procedure to prevent the situation that this new procedure is trying to prevent.

The guy who came up with this procedure will have none of it though. Any time you try to point out something he comes up with is unnecessary and stupid, he gets totally butt hurt and takes it personally. He is the only person in the company who thinks it is a good idea. Today he brought up asking the owner of the company, "I bet if we go ask Larry he will be shocked you guys don't want us having this in place." The manager at our center wasn't on the call, but she said her response would have been, "Go ahead and ask Larry, he'll be furious that we're quarantining units that don't need to be quarantined and we're deferring donors!"

tl;dr
Work at a plasma center and corporate quality assurance is dumb because they've never worked at a plasma center and don't know how anything works.

edit: Oh yeah, I got approved for a raise back in May. It was approved by my center manager and the accounting/payroll department. All raises, no matter who it is for, have to be finally approved by the company owner. It's been sitting on his desk since May.

Last year I had to wait 3 months for him to approve it. It's loving ridiculous.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 13, 2012

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
The directors of quality assurance and regulatory affairs have been lying to European regulatory agencies for years, saying that we're going to go from a manual system to a computerized system. Now it's been too long, and if we aren't computerized by next year, our company won't be able to sell to our biggest/highest paying customer.

Computerization has been in the works for years, but they've been getting nowhere. Sitting in on conference calls is less productive than smashing my skull in with a hammer. Everyone at the corporate level acts like big babies. One of the guys who is like the #2 in RA will say things like, "I don't care, do whatever you want. My opinion obviously doesn't matter." Other people will sit there and call other people idiots.

They all act like bratty children. We're one of the smallest companies in our industry, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're bought out.

It doesn't help that we're being sued by the company who was previously creating our computer program for breach of contract.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
FDA audits. Out of all the audits we have to go through, FDA audits are the worst, because the FDA auditors are always the dumbest loving people you will ever meet. When the European Union sends over auditors, they send three doctors. When the FDA sends people, they send people who don't know things like how many days are in a loving week. (seriously)

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Got an email from the regional manager today saying that he had had a chat with the head of IT. It's in our employee policy manual that we can't use the computers for anything except work related activity. Looks like they're going to start enforcing it. I can't even use my computer during my lunch to read news sites anymore. Totally blows.

The funny thing is, my regional manager will sit in his office on his laptop and watch Howard Stern/Brewers games all the time.

I am kind of looking forward to several of the other employees that spend 4+ hours a day on their computer doing nothing being forced to actually do some work, however.

Edit: to be clear, I don't really mess around on my computer and waste time a whole lot. This doesn't really affect me, as I try to actually work while at work. However, there are times when I am completely caught up and have nothing to do, and I'll read a few news articles or espn for five minutes or so, or during my lunch break. Considering there are so many bigger things going on with my company right now, this seems like a waste of time to be enforcing. We have 3 IT people for the entire company, and they all work at the corporate office over a thousand miles away, and we have about 2000 people employed throughout the whole company (about 30 locations). We're also in the middle of implementing an entirely new computer and phone system, and I think it's ludicrous to be asking these people to monitor our internet activity.

It's no wonder every project IT has to work on is always years behind schedule.

edit 2: also, this email wasn't to just me.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 18, 2013

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Lowness 72 posted:

Amen.

Work recently blocked streaming sites as well (for bandwidth reasons...is seriously an issue?).

I had such a great work Pandora station going. Got so much poo poo done when I put headphones in and got down to work. Can't seem to get to that same level of productivity since they blocked it. Argh

Do you have wireless at your location? I'm not allowed to use streaming sites either, but we have wireless for non-employees, and I just use my phone to play pandora.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
The phrase "additional duties as assigned" in job descriptions.

Why the gently caress even have job descriptions?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My job is essentially pointless. I'm supposed to train new employees and train current employees on changes in regulations. In the past, our location has been somewhat understaffed, so I would help out with the day to day operations of the center. Well, now we're way over staffed, and there is no training to be done.

I only do about 10 hours of real work a week. Today, I've eaten a piece of cake, drank a lot of coffee, got a couple of people to sign a pice of paper, left a voicemail for my boss who works 2 hours away to call me (she won't, I see her once a year max), threw a frisbee around for 30 minutes, worked on a few crossword puzzles, and browsed the Internet on my phone. Most days I sit in my office and do nothing. There's no risk of my position being terminated, and when our center has audits/inspections, we always do well, and auditors have commented that we have a really well trained staff.

It sounds great, but I'm just so bored. I never have anything to do. It would be okay if it was like this one day a week, but its all the loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Nocheez posted:

When I have down time in my new position, I use it to learn new things in VBA in Excel, Python, or other computer things that interest me. I usually find a way to use these things down the road sometime, and it makes me look like a complete star when I can whip up some code in 30 minutes that saves someone 8 hours of work.

I've been meaning to do something like this. I've been thinking of bringing in my laptop, but its a super lovely netbook that's near death.

a shameful boehner posted:

What, you don't read SA forums all day?

They monitor our Internet usage pretty heavily. The president of the company gets a report of all websites visited each day. It's idiotic how they care so much about dumb poo poo like that, but coming up with procedures that aren't totally backwards is way too much to ask.

I'd visit the forums more at work, but I can only tolerate reading on my phone for so long.