Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
At my old job, whenever something went wrong, my boss would ask us "So... what would YOU do in that situation?"

Oh, I don't know, the THING WE DID YOU IDIOT!!! Clearly we did what we would do. Because it's what we did. That thing, that we did. :psyduck:

She also told us to forward any difficult calls to her, and then reprimanded us whenever we did. I guess a guy threatening you and swearing at you isn't "difficult" enough.

I hated that job so much :argh: but I have a better one where my only complaint is that I get called "little lady" by one person and it irritates me. Also having to watch Fox News at lunch, but I deal with that by slowly turning into a stinking liberal hippie or something, so that's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Seaniqua posted:

Military contractor?

Strike temp work. I'm not allowed to talk about work with my fiance's family since some of them are in unions. It's awkward.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

slightpirate posted:

I really need a hug and a vacation. :(

:glomp: maybe take one day off and have a long weekend in the country?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Umiapik posted:

I've read these posts about holiday entitlement in the USA with my eyes popping out of my head with disbelief. Is it really normal to only have 2 weeks annual holiday in the USA? Do some people really only get 5 loving DAYS holiday a year in their full-time jobs?!? There are businesses in the USA that count their employee's annual leave in HOURS?!?!!! :aaaaa:

At my job I have 5 paid holidays (Christmas, New Years, etc) and ten paid days off, which makes two full weeks if you include the weekends. It's not great, but it's not bad either. We also have separate sick days, four I think.

My last job gave us time per each hour we worked, so it was possible to save up quite a bit of time - though that was also counted in hours. We were also very much discouraged from taking time off. As in we could only take time off if everyone else was working that day, and as long as there weren't any busy clinics (hospital), even though I worked with three other people who did the same job. My boss was the Jersey shore wife version of Lumberg. Uhg.

In fact my last job made me so nervous about asking for time off, that I'm terrified of asking for the Friday and Monday around my wedding off, to have a nice long weekend. I should do that today.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

I am OK posted:

I never realised the US was that bad. When are you guys gonna get off your arses and loving revolt, because seriously.

I would love to but I just don't have the time off! :lol: But really, it's a lot harder to organize something like that in a country this size. And with the job market right now, there are about a hundred people just itching to get into your job, so not rocking the boat will keep paying the bills. It's too bad all those Teabaggers can't do something useful like that with their time.

Guess who's been sick the last few days but is still at work! Caught it from my boss who caught it from someone in marketing.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

FogHelmut posted:

I'm not against unions but having worked in one before -- Union dues, union administrators, union bosses, etc.

Pretty much this is what my family members have said. They weren't against unions, just how the unions tend to be run in the US. Unions are a great idea. Too bad people poo poo them up.

Solkanar, are you coming from a US perspective?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Today at lunch we were watching the news about that failed bomber in NYC and my boss said "to think he got the greatest gift of all: citizenship in this fine country, and he squandered it"

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Solkanar512 posted:

And god drat, I can't remember the last time I had a 40 hour week.

My normal week is 45 hours :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Did anyone ever have to deal with mystery shoppers, or something similar?

We were mystery shopped in two ways at my old job (large hospital in Boston). One would be via the phone, where they would call in and expect us to go through a huge list of questions and statements and we had to do everything just right - of course if we tried to do this with any regular patient they would get angry at us wasting their time. But no, we had to ask them 10000 questions and be perfectly polite. One co-worker was written up for sounding depressed, but his voice always sounded like that. He was just sort of monotone :what:

The other way we would be shopped was in the waiting room. We had to keep it clean (makes sense, though I hate picking up other peoples tissues and whatnot) but also had to canvas it whenever people were waiting, which meant getting up from our desks, going out and asking if anyone needed help, and generally cleaning up. This was expected during our busiest clinics (they would only show up when we had way too many people booked that day) so when we were all dealing with at least three people each, one would have to tell those people to wait, canvas the room, and go back to the now angry patients (who our manager called "customers" if that clues you in to how this hospital saw the patients...).
One time I was written up for blushing! FOR BLUSHING! No mention of the fact that my desk was crammed in next to the heater and a window we couldn't shut the shade to. I was always boiling there in the winter, and freezing in the summer (yay air conditioning we can't change).

What a stupidly run place. We had more important poo poo to do than cater to the mystery shoppers, but we would get in big trouble if we didn't get at least 4.5/5

And yeah, moving this to PYF really killed it. Nothing about what I just typed is a favorite. gently caress that hospital.