Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Anyone else have "How Might We" going on in their work place?

You're suppose to ask the tough, critical questions like how might we process new orders faster? You then provide the answer and put it in the How Might We box. The How Might We box has been empty and collecting dust for about 7 months now.

We did have one idea which we implemented. About a month after implementing the manager noticed a change in their spreadsheet numbers and asked us what was up. After explaining what we did, we got reprimanded for not using the How Might We box.

:negative:

Science fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Kerfuffle posted:

At least for the most part I can have headphones in.

I'm not sure what the corporate culture was like at your old workplace, but in my workplace headphones are a big no-no. :raise::coffee:

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

waldorn posted:

A few months ago HR sent out a work place survey.

I'm curious, where employees allotted time to complete the survey?

I worked at a call centre (not as a CSR thank the job gods), but a survey was sent out and a week later at our weekly meeting the manager asked who had completed it via show of hands. It was pretty much myself and the manager and I only completed it because I had automated a large part of my job and not told anyone. I didn't say anything since I didn't want to get poo poo-canned, but it was obvious the CSRs didn't do it because it would negatively affect their metrics.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Greyish Orange posted:

I just started a new job which is a lot more corporate. Although it'll take me a while to get used to the overuse of buzzwords (PowerPoint slides are "visuals", etc), what puzzles me most is how seriously people take these things. Nobody even slightly has their tongue in their cheek when they're using management speak, how do you all keep a straight face?

I think it's secretly a defence mechanism. If they use plain speak then it becomes blatantly obvious that a 6th grader could probably do their work just as well and in less time for less money. But if I ping you to touch base about how we're going to synergize our silos, then I may as well be a rocket surgeon because this poo poo is hard.

I suspect it's something picked up from other professions where the jargon is warranted.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Sometimes I suspect that this entire organization is composed of Project Managers.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
If there's no QR code in your signature then you are not corporate enough. :smug:

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo, does anyone do that already? I suppose it would totally make sense to the people who love these huge signatures already though. After all, what if someone prints out the email and then wants to contact the sender from their blackberry??? :downs:

This company has an e-mail signature team. That means at least two people have to justify their full-time jobs via e-mail signature work. drat right we have QR codes.

Science fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 9, 2013

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Harry posted:

Is it even possible for any STEM phd that graduated in the past 15 years to have not had to use Excel at some point?

If they had really awful timing and attended certain institutions they may have grown up with Lotus Smartsuite instead of Office. By the time the world finally realized all Lotus products are basically garbage, they would have jumped up to a more specialized program for their field.

That said it's not like PhD in question was asking how to do something incredibly advanced. Lacking basic competency in Excel is one of those characteristics that can only survive in academia.

Science fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 18, 2013

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

HipGnosis posted:

Why the hell do we have to come into an office building in the first place? I've worked in several offices where collaboration happened on the online messaging system while we were in the office.

I've had mixed experiences. Some people (usually tech-oriented) do really well with this and do better than in traditional collaboration.

The more traditional paper-pusher roles that type 20 WPM tend to do terrible and read their chat less frequently than e-mail for some reason. :smithicide: Incidentally this is also the type of person that needs a 1 hour meeting to do anything outside of their bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Anyone that references SMART always seems to present it like it's such a transcendental new idea fresh of HBR. For some reason using project management 101 concepts in goal setting is absolutely orgasm-inducing to low/medium management types.