Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

WarLocke posted:

I read so many posts where this happens. Is there any legal recourse for an employee in this scenario? It's bullshit that an employer can say "You're not meeting the impossible goals we set for you, so you're fired" just because they don't want to pay you anymore. :argh:

Something similar happened to a friend, the company would raise the sales goals to the highest producing salesman recent weekly amount. People would have to work long rear end hours to keep up and he got lunch or something for an amazing month, then laid off not long after for 'consistently not meeting goals'. Seriously. Since they fired 2 other people for the same (they told them upfront they won't pay unemployment benefits) and they complained to the unemployment office, got it reviewed and their unemployment $$. He had to do the same and got it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006

WarLocke posted:

How is that not blatantly illegal?

Just goes back to my work policy of 'get everything in writing'. You want me to go to India? Sure, put it in writing that I get a promotion when I'm done and we're go!

(Followed quickly by me flying out the door, and in fact not going to India. Oh well.)

It's not illegal to be an rear end in a top hat.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
I work for the state at a University that is slowly turning corporate. We get paid less but the jobs are fairly secure. I get ok vacation and sick time, but I've been promoted since starting as a help desk peon. We also keep getting reorg'd every couple of years. It's like the higher ups have to keep justifying their jobs at all times. They came out with a 6 page dress code geared toward employees working in a hospital setting and said it was law for all. Some of the campus systems guys got pissed and won't change anything. They've been working here longer than some of the managers have been alive and keep seeing stuff change, so why follow the latest rules, ya know? But goddamit, some of them need to hose themselves off more often. One used to ride his bike to work every day, 20+ miles and you could tell. I don't mind dressing more professionally but I see customers sometimes, the ones who live in the cave-portion of the building, doing database work and try and look as much like trolls as possible should be left alone to do their jobs.

For perspective, I worked at a sandwich shop putting myself through college at the beginning. I worked 30 or so hours a week, sometimes 8 hour days with no break, not for lunch, not for sitting down for a second unless I was taking a poo poo. I was too poor to risk complaining so I didn't and worked there for 2 years.

I started a graduate program last september and see a lot of people returning to school if only to buy time until the economy turns around. I say go for it if you can.