Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I love Seinfeld. One of the best shows that ever was. The only episode(s) I didn't like was the entire NBC wants Jerry to write a show story arc. It was way too meta for my tastes.

Anyhow, thought you'd all find this funny:

http://fanboys-online.com/index.php?comic=274

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Has Michael Richards done anything besides curb since his outburst?

Pete Campbell
Feb 23, 2006

Same price as a chip and dip!

Evil Agita posted:

Bee Movie, apparently.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0724245/

The Infamous Shane
Dec 19, 2007
Call me Shane Mcloon, Super Goon.

Evil Agita posted:

"I'm so angry I could shove this hat up your rear end!"

Now that's meta!

Forgone Conclusion
Aug 13, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Mulva?

Hest? IS IT HEST!?

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
KRAAAAAAMERRRRRRRRRRRR!

STOOPPPPPP THE FIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

TAMAAAAALLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! *nods*

My dad, almost regularly for the past 13 or so years, will ask me what I've been up to lately/that day and respond at my first pause with "There you go, that's a show."

Also, each of our dogs are named Soda and Seven, respectively.

Cuban Chowder Factory fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 24, 2010

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
When I watched the show in its first run, I didn't pick up on it (either because it was week-to-week or my undeveloped teenage mind), but when I marathoned some episodes on DVD I realized I never noticed how much subtle continuity some of the older seasons had. Jerry calling George "Biff" (Loman) for a few episodes stands out in my mind, and there are other examples of them referring to events in a previous episode that I can't remember right now.

Another subtle gag I didn't pick up on until years later: In the episode where George goes to that family's apartment to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's to cheat in his book club and spills grape juice on their sofa, and Poppy pees on Jerry's couch. Elaine asks Jerry what he's going to do with the couch and Jerry says something like "Oh, George is taking it, he said he'll just flip the cushion over". I just always thought this was George being cheap -- it only hit me later that it was implied that he was going to replace that family's juice-stained couch with the pee-stained one.

Hell, I didn't notice until several repeat viewings later that the whole Kramer/Poppy pizza argument ("It's not a pizza until it comes out of the oven!"/"It's a pizza the minute you put your fists in the dough!") was an allegory for the abortion debate that was in that same episode.

From writing this post, apparently I was incredibly unobservant :doh: But that's what made Seinfeld great -- every episode had so many layers. Few sitcoms have pulled that off since then.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Bob Sacamano. :eng101:

As in:

Jerry: "You know my friend Bob Sacamano..."
Elaine: "I thought he was Kramer's friend."
Jerry: "Well he called last night about 3am and we got to talking. He sells Russian hats down at Battery Park. 40 bucks."
Elaine: "40 bucks? Are they sable?"
Jerry: "No, but the difference is negligible"
Kramer: "Oh yeah, I like this idea."

The Chicken Roaster is still one of my favorite episodes. Jerry turning into Kramer is great.

edit - Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUvzzEtNevY&feature=related

I'd love to see more clips of actors on shows exchanging parts. Kramer does a fair Jerry but Jerry's Kramer is really jarring.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I just assumed everyone liked Seinfeld by default.

I think it takes a hit because people hate being able to laugh at something their parents can also laugh at.

I'm curious how many/which episodes I haven't seen. I watched some of the later seasons during their original run, but I wasn't a really dedicated viewer. The show is pretty common in syndication and I've seen a lot of it, but it's entirely possible there are episodes that slipped through the cracks. The possibility of a "new" Seinfeld episode I haven't seen is pretty cool :unsmith:

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

If there's really so many people in the world, there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary, someone who was living an interesting life. But why wasn't I that ChuChu?

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I just assumed everyone liked Seinfeld by default.
I don't trust people who don't like Seinfeld. :colbert:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Dan a man posted:

I don't trust people who don't like Seinfeld. :colbert:

I don't even like them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cheeseball IV posted:

Then shouldn't the bucket be on your head? :confused:

Oh no, you said a mailam I know, you're you're a mailman I know!

Speaking of, Jerry as a mailman was hilarious. Giving mail to a bum,
"Mail on a Sunday?
"Oops!"

and
"Too many people got their mail...80%! No one at the post office has ever broken the 50% mark! It's like the four minute mile!"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh no, you said a mailam I know, you're you're a mailman I know!

Speaking of, Jerry as a mailman was hilarious. Giving mail to a bum,
"Mail on a Sunday?
"Oops!"

and
"Too many people got their mail...80%! No one at the post office has ever broken the 50% mark! It's like the four minute mile!"

And yet Jerry got all of those checks from his grandma. Someone contact the postmaster General (Wilford Brimley).

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

And yet Jerry got all of those checks from his grandma. Someone contact the postmaster General (Wilford Brimley).

AND the Super Terrific Happy Fun Hour!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Flobbster posted:

Another subtle gag I didn't pick up on until years later: In the episode where George goes to that family's apartment to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's to cheat in his book club and spills grape juice on their sofa, and Poppy pees on Jerry's couch. Elaine asks Jerry what he's going to do with the couch and Jerry says something like "Oh, George is taking it, he said he'll just flip the cushion over". I just always thought this was George being cheap -- it only hit me later that it was implied that he was going to replace that family's juice-stained couch with the pee-stained one.

I never caught this either.

The one for me that I got years later is when Jerry is dating an actress that freaks out over everything. The lead is injured (by George) and she stops the play to tie her shoe. The whole thing was making fun on Tonya Harding. I only got it because the rerun was on soon after she was on celebrity boxing.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

What about after George finds out Susan's parents are starting a foundation in her name based on what Jerry said during the funeral (which he just ripped off from Wrath of Khan).

"That's it...." *squirts mustard into Jerry's coffee and stirs it* "...that's the line that ruined my life."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

haljordan posted:

What about after George finds out Susan's parents are starting a foundation in her name based on what Jerry said during the funeral (which he just ripped off from Wrath of Khan).

And then he gets beat up because he didn't give the scholarship to the kid who then joins the Van Buren Boys.

Edit: Nd speaking of watching it with parents...I was watching the one where Jerry tries to do the roommate switch, and George comes up with the menage a trois. I had to ask my parents what that was cause I was too young to know yet.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

And then he gets beat up because he didn't give the scholarship to the kid who then joins the Van Buren Boys.

Edit: Nd speaking of watching it with parents...I was watching the one where Jerry tries to do the roommate switch, and George comes up with the menage a trois. I had to ask my parents what that was cause I was too young to know yet.

Haha but first he tries to take Mrs. Seinfeld's purse and fails miserably.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

"That's it...." *squirts mustard into Jerry's coffee and stirs it* "...that's the line that ruined my life."

Watching this on Youtube now, man, Jason Alexander is just so on top of that character all the time. I love when he talks about George in the third person.

Edit: He's so loving intense, I love it.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 24, 2010

The Infamous Shane
Dec 19, 2007
Call me Shane Mcloon, Super Goon.

haljordan posted:

Haha but first he tries to take Mrs. Seinfeld's purse and fails miserably.

I just love Morty at the end after George and Helen are fighting, happy as a clam "Bye, George!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Watching this on Youtube now, man, Jason Alexander is just so on top of that character all the time. I love when he talks about George in the third person.

"Before we go any further, I just want to point out how disturbing it is that you equate biting into a large block of cheese with some kind of bachelor paradise."

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I was always very fond of "The Maid," which included: (1) G-Bone/Koko The Monkey; (2) the counter bit about Newman dying; (3) nexus of the universe; and (4) Kramer telling Jerry that he'd never be like him, paying scrubwomen for sexual favors.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Anyone have the clip where Kramer's car fails to start at the end of the episode where they get lost in that parking lot? I understand that that scene was completely improved, since the car really did fail to start. You can see everyone visibly lose their poo poo when Kramer gets out of the car.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Calaveron posted:

Anyone have the clip where Kramer's car fails to start at the end of the episode where they get lost in that parking lot? I understand that that scene was completely improved, since the car really did fail to start. You can see everyone visibly lose their poo poo when Kramer gets out of the car.

That's one of the best DVD extras. The entire shoot was really hard, they had to build the parking lot set from scratch, it was after midnight, etc. Just watch.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJI5kU-q4RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJI5kU-q4RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
I really like Seinfeld but I really don't understand the "It's about nothing" tag it gets, it's about a comedian and his friends lives I really don't see how it's that different from something like Friends in that respect, great show though.

"Well I had sex with your wife!"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Wasco Jr. posted:

I really like Seinfeld but I really don't understand the "It's about nothing" tag it gets, it's about a comedian and his friends lives I really don't see how it's that different from something like Friends in that respect, great show though.

"Well I had sex with your wife!"

I'd say it was more about the plot than the characters. The whole point of a lot of shows at the time was to stick everyone in crazy situations. Instead we had a lot of everyday stuff like waiting in a restaurant.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I always thought that it was "about nothing" because the characters were so petty that the plots mostly revolved around minutiae that most people would ignore or just let pass by, i.e. it's nothing to them, but to the characters it's very important.

Like the "The ocean called" thing was just something most people would forget about soon after, but to George it became a huge deal.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 24, 2010

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Susan was only 32 when she died? Bullshit, that woman was like 40.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

haljordan posted:

"Before we go any further, I just want to point out how disturbing it is that you equate biting into a large block of cheese with some kind of bachelor paradise."

George: (inhales deeply) I tell you, Jerry, I'm feeling something. Something I haven't felt in a long time.

Jerry: Pride?

George: No. Autonomy, complete and total autonomy.

Jerry: Well, you're your own boss now.

George: I wanna go to a tractor pull.

Jerry: Go ahead.

George: I am staying out all night!

Jerry: Who's stopping you?

George: I wanna bite into a big hunk of cheese, just bite into it like it's an apple.

Jerry: ...Whatever.

One of my favorite/random lines was, "Whoa, that's a lot of potatoes!" Am I forgetting the episode where they explain the potato man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFZIj96LwY

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

kolby posted:

One of my favorite/random lines was, "Whoa, that's a lot of potatoes!" Am I forgetting the episode where they explain the potato man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFZIj96LwY
Kramer stumbling into the potato man's apartment after he gets shocked via an electrical outlet is in "The Slicer". In a previous episode it's mentioned that Elaine's floor always smells like potatoes, but it's never particularly explained in either episode iirc.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
Now this is what the holidays are all about: three buddies, sitting around, chewin' some gum.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

hall n oates mom posted:

Kramer stumbling into the potato man's apartment after he gets shocked via an electrical outlet is in "The Slicer". In a previous episode it's mentioned that Elaine's floor always smells like potatoes, but it's never particularly explained in either episode iirc.

It wasn't a previous episode. It gets mentioned towards the beginning, but I don't remember the context.

Another great moment like that is in "The Kiss Hello" when at the beginning Jerry tells George that he admires his hearing abilities, and then towards the end he overhears a conversation in a different room. I just love the way he says "I hear everything!" as he snaps his fingers.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Slvbarek posted:

It wasn't a previous episode. It gets mentioned towards the beginning, but I don't remember the context.
Are you sure? I feel confident it was foreshadowed at least once. On the other hand, we do hardly ever see the Elaine's apartment set throughout the series.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
One of my favorite George moments was when he ties the World Series trophy to his car and drags it around the parking lot while screaming through a megaphone.

Most of the Seinfeld fans I know like Kramer the best. For me, it's all about George.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hall n oates mom posted:

Are you sure? I feel confident it was foreshadowed at least once. On the other hand, we do hardly ever see the Elaine's apartment set throughout the series.

It's the same episode.

Elaine: You remember that next door neighbor of mine, the apartment that always smells like potatoes?

Jerry: Your whole building smells like potatoes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
On the first page someone mentioned the finale. It's not my favorite episode and I had some problems with it, however, it was a very forward thinking way to end the show.

Most sitcoms end (if they get a finale) with a major character leaving or moving on in some way. I'm thinking of finales for Family Ties, Friends, and Frasier. I'm sure you can think of others. In a totally non sitcom way, Seinfeld ends with every bad thing they've done coming back to bite them in the rear end. They're paying for their sins, but even at that point, they don't learn their lesson. When we see them in the jail cell, they are still the same people we've observed for all those years. Even though that's the case, plot threads are sort of resolved by these people coming back to testify and get some sort of payback.

Endings of that sort are typically found in most dramas we've all seen. Questions and events from the very first episode are often resolved in the final one. Plot threads are resolved and everyone pays for what they may have done.

That's a lot of words about a sitcom, but it's something I find interesting.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ehud posted:

It's the same episode.

Elaine: You remember that next door neighbor of mine, the apartment that always smells like potatoes?

Jerry: Your whole building smells like potatoes.
Of course I know it's mentioned within "The Slicer" before Kramer's tumble (it's one of my top eps, bacdafukup), but I had recalled it being mentioned in passing before (Elaine askes "remember", so it's certainly plausible).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Seinfeld D&D comic is excellent, but what really sells it to me is...

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

HateTheInternet posted:

Most of the Seinfeld fans I know like Kramer the best. For me, it's all about George.
George was always my favorite. I thought the best acting Jason Alexander did on Seinfeld was the car dealership episode.

TWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

HateTheInternet posted:

As far as I'm concerned the best George (related) moment came from Elaine. George's girlfriend (I think it may have been Susan) asked if Elaine and George were having an affair and she just starts laughing her rear end off.

"Who would want to sleep with Georg- Oh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Didn't George try to break up with Susan because Marisa Tomei liked short, stocky, bald* men. I was so desperately rooting for him. But I think I liked Kramer better, all in all, because I have this theory he was a total head. Could be wrong, but it fits.

*I think George added this part