Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

El Paso, I spent a month there one night :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Mom there's an evil monkey in my room!!!!!!!

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
We really should let this place air out anyway. It smells like the last tenant had monkeys in here or something.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
I don't know too many monkeys who could take apart a fuel injector.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Potee, he's an innocent primate.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He's even curtailed his autoerotic activities.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I can't believe you're hoarding sex moves. I'm out there rubbing two sticks together.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Palmtree Panic posted:

I can't believe you're hoarding sex moves. I'm out there rubbing two sticks together.

I, uh, only hope you have a little more... self-control.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
You had a premonition about that bomb. You climbed under that desk because you have ESP. Quick, George, put a thought in my mind. 

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

How come people don’t have dip for dinner?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
You dipped the chip. You took a bite. And you dipped again.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

How do you eat it, with your hands? :smug:

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
So you thought, "What the hell, I'll just eat some trash."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's like watchin' a couple of hyenas goin' through the garbage.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh, so you just assume that the homeless will eat them, they'll eat anything? I know what you thought. They don't have homes, they don't have jobs, what do they need the top of a muffin for? They're lucky to get the stumps.

Why don't you just drop off some chicken skins and lobster shells?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Can I say one word to you? Lobster. The lobster here is unbelievable.

Ooh, a little expensive.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Not that much. You know, they tend to shrink in the water. :smug:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Breaking format for a second here: After over 30 years, somebody finally located a complete copy of the script for the infamous lost episode "The Bet"/"The Gun". It was Larry Charles' first script and was meant to be the fourth episode of the second season, but both the cast and NBC execs were uncomfortable with the material and it was scrapped just before filming (Seinfeld and Larry David wrote "The Phone Message" to replace it in under two days.) The A and B stories here basically get the same amount of coverage: Elaine is considering buying a gun for self-defense, which Jerry objects to. Meanwhile Kramer, back from a vacation to Puerto Rico, claims that he had sex with a flight attendant on the trip home; Jerry believes him, George does not, after making a bet on it they decide to go to JFK, track down the woman and ask her what actually happened.

Having read it, I agree with the cast's hesitation, not because the subject matter is distasteful but because...it just doesn't work. Even for an early episode of the series the characters' voices feel off in places, and the intersection of the A and B plots near the end is a bit too broad and goofy. The scene where they go to Mo Korn's apartment to look at guns feels a lot like the holistic healer stuff from "The Heart Attack" a few episodes later - seems like Charles was really fixated on the idea of having the gang go to a weird guy's apartment, but couldn't go with the tried-and-true "buying drugs" angle. This copy of the script is extensively noted throughout, but the scan quality means that you can't read most of the handwritten notes, you can just see the big X's where gags and dialogue have been stricken. One interesting handwritten change is that they were going to reveal Kramer's first name here as "Konrad," seemingly entirely because the flight attendant's name is "Connie" and she knows him as "Konnie" (Which replaces a go-nowhere bit where Kramer uses his "ex-brother-in-law's"(!) name for a discount on his flight.)

My favorite part is the opening scene, because Charles nails the characters there. I can hear Jerry and George's voices in my head reading this exchange:
"You don’t think I should do more hard-edged political material? Make some kind of statement?
"Why don’t you just set fire to yourself on stage, that's a statement...Go down into the audience and start smacking people, knock their drinks over. That's a statement!"

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 5, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I like stuff you don't have to think about too much.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker
Alright, alright. You see? This is why I hate writing with a large group. Everybody has their own little opinions, and it all gets homogenised, and you lose the whole edge of it. I'm going with "Elaine buys a gun!" "Elaine buys a gun" is the plot! "Elaine buys a gun!"

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Is this customary in your legal system?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

TVGM posted:

Alright, alright. You see? This is why I hate writing with a large group. Everybody has their own little opinions, and it all gets homogenised, and you lose the whole edge of it. I'm going with "Elaine buys a gun!" "Elaine buys a gun" is the plot! "Elaine buys a gun!"

What's the difference? "The Contest" is still the all-time highest rated episode!

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

What's the difference? "The Contest" is still the all-time highest rated episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27xo4mx_vGM&t=26s

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Still crazy to me that JLD only won one Emmy out of seven nominations for Seinfeld.

Of course, she got her vengeance during Veeps run, at least.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's hilarious in Curb how she talked about wanting to do an HBO show so she could let loose and say "gently caress", and a decade later she's on Veep doing exactly that.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You know what she said to me five minutes ago? "Where's my f****ng cupcake?"

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Checked in the OP and no luck, but maybe that's because it's 14 years old... Is there a thread-approved list of "the essential" Seinfield eps? Got a spouse who never watched it and now that CYE is wrapped up it seemed like a good time to go back and run through the cream of the Seinfeld crop, but I don't trust myself to do it off the top of my head.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker
They're all chickens. The rooster has sex with all of them.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
What's the one with the swirling chocolate in the commercial?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You know, I saw someone on the street eating M&Ms with a spoon!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well what do you use, your fingers?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Get your finger out of my face! :mad:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Checked in the OP and no luck, but maybe that's because it's 14 years old... Is there a thread-approved list of "the essential" Seinfield eps? Got a spouse who never watched it and now that CYE is wrapped up it seemed like a good time to go back and run through the cream of the Seinfeld crop, but I don't trust myself to do it off the top of my head.

You can really throw on any episode and probably have a good time (And inevitably, you'll watch one and realize as it gets going that something you remember being the story of an episode is just a B-plot.) "The Contest" is mandatory. "The Pitch" is a personal favorite because it's the first episode I watched in syndication as a kid - I was convinced at the time that I'd just happened to catch the first episode, since it's the one where they have the "It's going to be a show about nothing" discussion. "The Tape" is a good early one that's focused entirely on the central cast and their dynamics. At least one gimmick episode is mandatory - "The Chinese Restaurant," "The Subway," "The Limo," "The Parking Garage," it's personal preference but they're all standouts.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just say show them The Contest then if they want more than just an entire rewatch. Season 1 is a little rough but it’s doesn’t take long to get good.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

a bra’s gotta fit up a person’s skin

like a glove

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

This is the essential list of episodes and I'm not gonna dumb it down for some bonehead mass audience!

The Chinese Restaurant (S2E11)
The Library (S3E5)
The Parking Garage (S3E6)
The Pitch (S4E3)
The Contest (S4E11)
The Puffy Shirt (S5E2)
The Marine Biologist (S5E14)
The Opposite (S5E22)
The Engagement (S7E1)
The Rye (S7E11)
The Comeback (S8E13)
The Pothole (S8E16)
The Dealership (S9E11)

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker

Vertical Lime posted:

a bra’s gotta fit up a person’s skin

like a glove

If we took the palisades this never would've happened.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I sent 16 of my own men to the latrines that night.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
I got Genderson in the car. He wants to see his fish. I'm taking him to see his fish. So tell the police to back off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

They're all Twix!

Watch them all op