Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Gravy Jones posted:

When I originally watched Seinfeld it took me a disturbingly long time to realise that a major part of the premise of the show was that the main characters weren't particularly nice people. I don't know why, maybe my teenage mind just didn't get the humour.

This thread makes me want to buy it all on DVD and watched it again. Whenever I've caught an episode here or there I've always thought it has aged pretty drat well and strikes a good balance between traditional sitcom and more subversive/cringey "I can't believethey went there" type stuff.

Same here. I used to watch it as a kid, and I thought it was very funny, but I had no idea why it was so great (the finale also makes more sense to me now. I'm still not a fan of it, but I get it, whereas my 11-year-old self didn't like the fact that they were going to jail).

And as for extras, the one from The Jacket is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I was wondering why there wasn't a thread for Seinfeld. I think Seinfeld is the only show I can repeatedly watch without getting tired of. These pretzels are making me thirsty!

A friend of mine is in Spain right now, teaching English. She posted on her Facebook that she was proud that she had her entire class full of kids keep repeating out loud, "These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

I've never been more proud of anyone in my entire life.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 22, 2010

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Dr_Amazing posted:

Also I've heard there's a superman joke in every single show. I knows there's a lot but is there really that many?

It's not necessarily a joke; just a reference.

Hell, sometimes it's just a shot of a Superman statue on Jerry's shelf.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

olylifter posted:

When I was in Korea there was no Seinfeld whatsoever on TV. When I made my dad aware of my predicament he taped episodes until he had 5 vhs tapes full and sent them over.

You didn't refuse to take your shoes off, did you?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

got dat wmd posted:

That van's a-rockin!

Don't go a-knockin'!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Vote to change the thread title to "Seinfeld: My uncle's gay!"

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Seinfeld catchphrases are of those things that make me wish I lived in an English speaking country.

That's a shame.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I routinely take a sip of coffee after telling someone that "maybe you'll strike one up with the prince of darkness as you burn in hell for all eternity."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

For posterity, George's answering machine message: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ep2htq1qms

I will never get tired of George's gestures during the second "where could I be?"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

DrBouvenstein posted:

He looks like a frog.

So do you.

quote:

And "Slippery Pete" is one of my favorite names for their one-off characters.

What helps is that he's played by Peter Stormare, who almost always plays the same character because, drat it, he's so good at it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

OldSenileGuy posted:

Man, if you made it to the top 10, and then went on to NOT win, you would have been better of not even playing.

Just like Survivor.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

DrBouvenstein posted:

I might have mentioned this, but me and a friend of mine reversed our peepholes in our freshman dorm.

I mean...what if someone was waiting to ambush us with a sock full of pennies?!

Is your name Gack?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

LividLiquid posted:

Sounds... made up to me.

That's Joe Mayo.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

MillionsV posted:

I'M AS SLIPPERY AS AN EEEEEEEEELLLLL!!!!

LA LA LAAAAAAAAAAA!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

hall n oates mom posted:

Dean Jones: "…Mending chicken wire, high tea with a Mr. Newman."
Kramer: "I know it sounds pretty glamorous, but it’s business as usual at Kramerica."

Far as I can tell, your entire enterprise is little more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

seregrail7 posted:

I love how Morty seems to live in a dream world where he can do anything/get anything done.

Tell him to eat a plum.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Hell of a find: every single one of Kramer's entrances into Jerry's apartment.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BlackJosh posted:

For some reason, this one of my favorite seinfeld lines ever.

I just love the whole meeting the dean scene in that episode.

Well, I find this capricious and arbitrary!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

That salute that Kramer gives the P-G is a really nice touch.

Also, Newman's assortment of small sounds. From the crying in that episode, to that quack he gives Jerry when Jerry shows the huge flaw in Newman's Newmanium (or is it Newmannium?) party. God, that quack kills me every single time.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

dyn posted:

It always amazed me at how much influence Kramer has towards the rest of the gang. All of his dumbass ideas seem to make complete sense towards the others and they see no other way act upon certain situations.

I was just watching The Package today and all of the bullshit that blew up at the end came as a direct result of Kramer's idea of not only presuading Jerry into commiting mail fraud but convincing George to take racey pictures of himself to impress the photo-store girl instead of just asking her out.

He's like a Svenjolly.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

JethroMcB posted:

My favorite part of that storyline was, naturally, Puddy's obsession with his European change.

"Let's see here...ten kroner...five kroner...twenty kroner...no wait, that's another ten kroner...fifty kroner?"

Femty kroner :eng101:

I guess you have a real... Kroner-comprehension problem :smug:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

got dat wmd posted:

One of my favourite things about the show is the names they give everyone, always rememberable. A long time ago it got me started with using the full name for certain people.

Jake Jarmel
Todd Gack
Sue-ellen Mishkie(y?)
David Putty
Tim Whatley
Crazy Joe Divola
Lloyd Braun
Bob Sacamano
Joe Mayo
Jack Klompus

uhhh, Denim Vest

Sue-Ellen Mischke, David Puddy, and Crazy Joe Davola :eng101:

Oh, and don't forget Bob Cobb, Alec Berg, Sal Bass, and FDR.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Hennigan's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXAt_gstcs

"Boy that Hennigan's goes down smooth. And afterwards you don't even smell."

"And because it's odourless, why it'll be our little secret ;)."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

DrBouvenstein posted:

You know the forums will automatically
parse the lines for you; there's no need
to hit enter just because you think you're
at the end of a line. It's really jarring
to those of us reading it.

It's like a haiku.

The forums word-wrap
There's no need to hit enter
Don't do this again.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

regulargonzalez posted:

What episode is it where Jerry and Elaine are having dinner at someone's house and Elaine is telling Jerry about a dream she had about him ("It was you, but it wasn't you...") as he gives his condescending nod? Think he is at the party to hook up with some chick there.

"Sagman, Bennett, Robbins, Oppenheim and Taft."
"Sagman, Bennett, Robbins, Oppenheim and Taft. Sagman, Bennett, Robbins, Oppenheim and Taft. Sagman, Bennett, Robbins, Oppenheim and Taft...."

I remember those five names to this day.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

When Elaine refers to the guy as Vegetable Lasagna to Jerry, that is one of those moments that showcases the whole "every character has their names for something, and we only get it 'cause we've seen the progression" thing they use every so often.

The other example I can think of is George's "He's beboppin' and scattin' AND I'M LOSING IT!" It makes absolutely no sense to anyone else who sees it at the end, except for George and the audience.

Oh, and when Jackie Chiles retorts to them calling the Soup Nazi the Soup Nazi in the finale. "'Soup Nazi'? You people got little pet names for everybody!"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I knew Larry David was in a bunch of Seinfeld episodes, but I had no idea he was in SO MANY SCENES.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

HateTheInternet posted:

George gets angrier and angrier as the series goes on. I love how it starts with "GEORGE IS GETTIN' UPSET!" I don't remember the episode, but there's one scene that just ends with George yelling to himself "I'M LOSIN' IT!"

He's beboppin' and scattin' AND I'M LOSIN' IT!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Monsignor Martinez posted:

Will never get tired of "Who is this?".

Kramer's stogie-based physical comedy from "The Reverse Peephole" (backwards, dropping it with his slack jaw).

Similarly: Kramer scratching his chest with the backscratcher, then peering through the reverse peephole.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

wa27 posted:

Thank you. I can die a happy man now.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

My brother's going to audition for a play in a little over a month, and he has to present a contemporary monologue (less than 2 minutes), and I'm trying to convince him to pick something from Seinfeld. I know the show has mostly dialogue, so I was wondering if there was anything approaching a good monologue in the show.

My own memory fails me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Monsignor Martinez posted:

How do you forget the Whale & the Marine Biologist?

I considered it, but I thought that the punchline relies on Kramer's "what is that, a titleist?" along with Jerry's "mammal" comment.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

That clip reminds me of the joke:

What do you call the guy who barely passed med school at the bottom of his class?

Doctor.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

This was posted on Roger Ebert's twitter today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Crw85HvIFs.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

DrBouvenstein posted:

If they couldn't get the real Soup Nazi, couldn't they have at least gotten the actor that played him? Personally, I'd rather have him give me soup than the real one...so long as it was still the real one's recipe.

If Saddam Hussein got him as a look-alike, I don't see why not.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

"You know the rules: you lag, you drag."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

TMMadman posted:

I always love Jackie Childs being the one to confirm that 'They're real and they're spectacular!' in the finale.

Jackie Chiles :eng101:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Rabbit Hill posted:

The funny thing about George/Jason Alexander is that he really is actually pretty slim (at least most of the time, and I watch the show all out of order in syndication so I never know what season I'm looking at). He's got big burly shoulders and he's short, so he appears to be very...robust, shall we say, but in scenes when he's wearing jeans and has his shirt tucked in, he's got a pretty trim waistline.

They used to dress him in clothes that were one size too small for that reason, and to make him look uptight.

They also used to dress Michael Richards in clothes that were one size too big for the opposite effect.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Meet the Mets
Meet the Mets.
Come right out
and GREET THE METS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Who's this "Joe Mayo"?