Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know a lot of people claim that seasons 8 and 9, aka the post-Larry David seasons, are inferior to the rest of the show, since things got a lot wackier after Larry left, but frankly I don't care and think that some of the series's funniest episodes are from that era.

I wouldn't say they were inferior seasons, they're just...very, very different. Seasons 8 and 9 were ludicrously cartoony, with only the most tenuous grasp on reality, but it was still the funniest live-action show on TV at the time. The plots and situations were insane, but the humor was still there and everybody was having a good time with it.

The Human Cow posted:

How about Mendy's? OOOOOH!

I got the soup! That's not a meal!

Parachute posted:

My dad has watched the series at least 4 times (1-2 episodes/night) since it's been released on DVD, and has at least two notebooks with tons of Seinfeld quotes/observations.

My grandfather was downright obsessed with Seinfeld from the very beginning. For a couple of years, after TBS got the cable syndication rights, he would very proudly state that he watched Seinfeld for at least fourteen and a half hours a week. Twice a night every weeknight on a local station, twice a night on TBS, and a late airing after the news on another local station, and at least two hours on the weekends. We got him the DVD sets as presents, but he didn't even need them thanks to the show's incessant rerun schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I find that "We're trying to have a society here!" is my default mantra when I see some jackass run a red light/jaywalk at an intersection/cut in line etc. It's such a simple way to sum up that kind of frustration.

Searching for that quote in Google I found a big list of all the references to society and civilization in Seinfeld, every one of them a gem. It really highlights how every character managed to turn a perceived slight or minor annoyance into a thesis on how it was detrimental to the human condition, and they always made a compelling argument. Everybody was selfish and petty, but in a pretty reasonable way that they could make a case for.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

hall n oates mom posted:

She closes out the episode with a spinning dolly shot and an anguished scream of "SUUUUUSE", just like George did the same with "KHAAAAAAN" in 'The Foundation'.

Don't forget George's far more anguished "TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX!" It's the only candy with the cookie crunch!

GigaPeon posted:

I want to say that's an episode of the Drew Carey show...

Yeah, Drew and his friends get caught up in a traffic jam in NYC after a spontaneous trip to catch an Indians away game. Very similar to the Puerto Rican Day Parade episode.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I seem to remember a comic involving Kramer running in screaming about apples, only for apples to pour through the door and push him out the window. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's a Shmorky comic, with the Mackinaw Peaches that Kramer was obsessed with. I can't find it for the life of me, but it's wonderful. Webcomic authors do such a great job with Seinfeld subject matter, for whatever reason.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Arturo Ui posted:

Yeah a lot of people dont like this one because it's probably among the most unrealistic and zany of all the episodes, but it's all loving gold.

Puddy taking Elaine to "a restaurant..."

Love Elaine's demure description of the trip.

"I had the roast beef."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Chicken Boo posted:

Ugh, did she do the little kicks, and the thumbs?

I loved Jerry's explanation of why it showed up at the end of his "Cry, Cry Again" bootleg. "So you cry, and when you see the dancer, you cry again."

When it comes to celebrity appearances, I always liked a then-relatively unknown Brian Posehn's 2-line appearance as another member of the disease actor troop from Kramer and Mickey's gonorrhea storyline.

"The surgeon left a sponge in me." :smith:

Reading the script for that episode, I forgot just how many great lines there are. It may be one of my favorite episodes.

George: I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I really love the reverse of this where Jerry is trying to do the "it's me" back to her and she mistakes him for someone else. He starts talking in this hilarious voice to try to impersonate someone he's never hear speak. I die laughing every time I hear him talking like that.

YES! His phone voice in that episode is phenomenal, as is the exchange with George afterwards.

"Woah, woah, back it up, back it up, beep beep beep. What 'Tractor Story?'"
"'Back it up, back it up, beep beep beep,' what are you doing?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

safety dan posted:

"The pig says 'my wife is a slut'?"

That joke gets as big of a laugh from me now as it did when I was in the seventh grade. Something about the delivery and just how to-the-point it is gets me every time.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

hall n oates mom posted:

"You have selected...Agent Zero?"

I loved Kramer's Moviefone storyline, which has one of my all-time favorite Seinfeld moments, where he does the "Mountain High" advertisement by himself with crappy beatbox sound effects.

There is no place higher than - Mountain High.
Rated R.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

This is a weird thing to wonder about, I know, but at some point either before or after the Mac Classic appears in Jerry's apartment, there's a thing on his desk that looks like a flat slab propped upright, like a flatscreen with speakers on either side. Is it a computer? Every time I saw it, it would distract the hell out of me.

Was it the Twentieth Anniversary Mac? I'm guessing so, since that article even mentions it being seen on Seinfeld.

Also, speaking of Jerry's little computer corner, am I misremembering or did Jerry at one point have a Mac on his desk and a Windows 95 box on his bookshelf?

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 29, 2010

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Starving Wolf posted:

"And so concerned was he that word of his poor tennis skills might leak out, he chose to offer you his wife as some sort of medieval sexual payola?"
"He's new around here..."

The follow-up to that is gold as well.

"I didn't sleep with her!"
"Because of society, right?"
(Exasperated) "Yes, George. Because of society."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ddraig posted:

The defining moment for George's character, to me, was when he made the decision to eat the eclair out of the trash can.

And the really hosed up thing? I can sort of see his logic. It's an eye opening moment in your life when you find yourself thinking like George Costanza.

Sort of? It was a perfectly good eclair, sitting on top of the trash, on a wrapper and a magazine! It wasn't even in contact with real trash, and was definitely recently put there. I say it's fair game...George's only true mistake was getting caught.

Still love how Jerry puts it though: "You find yourself in the kitchen. You see an eclair in the receptacle, and you think to yourself, 'What the Hell, I'll just eat some trash.'"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ehud posted:

Well, you, my friend, have crossed the line that divides Man and Bum. You are now a Bum.

I stand by my decision and know that in every man's heart lies the soul of a garbage eater.

The Walrus posted:

I would be a little torn on the issue if it was a completely unblemished eclair, but there was a bite taken out of it. It was trash.

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvv No, it was above the rim. Still. Bite mark. vvvvvvvvvv

Although I will say I would have at least respected the bite mark and eaten around it, unlike George who shoved the thing bite-end first into his maw.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Lopper!

I love the gag that the police won't tell the public that there is a prolific serial killer on the loose because they can't settle on a name.

"Headzo...The Denogginator...Son of Dad..."
"Son of Dad?"
"That's my suggestion - sort of a catch-all."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

OldSenileGuy posted:

This one?

"He looks like a Peanuts character!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

hall n oates mom posted:

two-face Gwen

Like the Batman villain?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Alterian posted:

We got some chickens a couple months ago and I named one of them "Little Jerry".

Nobody gets the name :smith:

Little Jerry ran from here to Newman's in under 30 seconds!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Karl Rove posted:

Also, loving the new title because it's a pretty obscure reference.

Should be changed to "Cleveland 117, San Antonio 109."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

I think "Vegetable Lasagna" is my favorite one-time appearance character.

My favorite part of that storyline was, naturally, Puddy's obsession with his European change.

"Let's see here...ten kroner...five kroner...twenty kroner...no wait, that's another ten kroner...fifty kroner?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Iron Crowned posted:

That interview does remind me that he did it right. You go out while you're still on top so that you're not remembered like The Simpsons.

After the phrase "Go out on top" was bandied about in every media mention of the series ending in '97, they even gave George that entire storyline in "The Burning" where he wants to "Go out on top" in every situation he's in, which eventually just leads to him walking out of his office every time he gets somebody to laugh. Still a great bit of meta humor.

George: I knew I had hit my high note, so I thanked the crowd, and I was gone.
Jerry: What did you do the rest of the day?
George: I saw Titanic. So, that old woman...she's just a liar, right?
Jerry: And a bit of a tramp, if you ask me.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cane Break posted:

DRIVER: Alright! I'm gonna mess you up, man!

I told him I didn't eat his Chuckle! I don't eat that gooey crap!

R.D. Mangles posted:

That was Jerry with his celebrity lifestyle-- flashy, making the scene, flouting convention.

Yeah, sure, he's a celebrity. Oh, yeah, they wear a lot of furs. They're desperate, insecure people.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

drat, just saw the Peurto Rico Day ep (which is rare itself), and it just reminded me that all three leads have alter egos; Kel Varnson, H.E. Pennypacker, and Art VanDelay.

The conclusion of that little storyline (Which really felt like a "poo poo! We never had all 3 of them using fake identities at the same time and we've got one epiosde left, let's make it happen!" decision) is wonderful, with Jerry trying to keep the ruse going even when he realizes that he's screwed.

"Mr. Pennypacker, if you're here, and Mr. Van Delay is here, then who is watching the factory?

The Saab factory?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

tbp posted:

One of my absolute favorite moments from this show is in the episode where they get the Chinese food, or at least wait for it.

I die laughing every time that random rear end guy comes in and goes, 'HEY! What stinks in here?' and is welcomed as if he is the owner himself. It's just so utterly bizarre, possible, annoying, and fitting that it makes for great comedy.

"I yell, 'Cartwright, Cartwright,' just like that."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tiny Fistpump posted:

If you don't love early/mid 90's Elaine then I don't know what to tell you man

Well, good news if you loved her distinct fashion sense.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Leyburn posted:

For sale, a big, juicy van!

"It says here, 'Interesting trades considered.'"
"You put that in there!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Chicken Boo posted:

The 'R' fell off and all it says now is K-uger.

Sounds like one of those old-time car horns!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

safety dan posted:

Yeah, well I got a complaint; this cartoon stinks.

The pig says, "My wife is a slut?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Druggachusettes posted:

Just saw the one where Kramer turns his apartment into The Merv Griffin Show. I completely forgot that he did that, it's one of my favorite things that Kramer does.

The Jack Hannah cameo at the end was phenomenal.

"Where are the cameras?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pron on VHS posted:

I don't care what ANYONE says, Milosh the Tennis Pro is the best one-time character ever.

I posted it earlier in the thread, but that storyline gave us one of George's best moments:

Jerry: I didn't sleep with her!
George: Because of society, right?
Jerry: (Exasperated) Yes, George. Because of society.

The dismissive tone of George's "society" remark is fantastic, and really sums up his entire character: He'd be very happy with his life, if it weren't for all those people out there in the world ready to judge him. He knows he's a loathsome person deep down, but is aware enough of the expectations of the civilized world that he doesn't let himself slip into that velvety abyss of hedonism. Though that's not to say that he doesn't indulge himself in his full-on awful nature from time to time.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kevyn posted:

George only cares about societal norms when the lack of them inconveniences him.

Exactly. George invokes society when he sees somebody getting away with something and thinks, "Dammit! I know I couldn't get away with that!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

euphronius posted:

What was the one where George enters a room softly saying "Co.... Stan....Za"

"The Chicken Roaster," and it's when he leaves the room in order to make his dates remember his name.

"I'm like a commercial jingle. First it's a little irritating, then you hear it a few times, you hum it in the shower...by the third date, it's 'By Mennen!'"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DrBouvenstein posted:

ELAINE: Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well!

What a stirring little anthem of wellness!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Evil Agita posted:

It's all puffy. Like the pirates used to wear.

...But I don't wanna be a pirate! :(

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Poque posted:

Arby's no more than once a month, and in return, Elaine comes to your softball game and doesn't read a book.

Arby's...beef, and cheese, and do you believe in God?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

penismightier posted:

I sent:

"Kramer starts carrying his wallet in his shirt pocket, George accidentally eats lunch at a soup kitchen."

Holy poo poo, this one is killing me. I can see it now - George with a five o'clock shadow, wearing some shabby jacket (that Kramer gave him in a convergence of storylines.) He's looking around the table, brow furrowed, mouth slightly agape, but in the end he just shrugs and keeps eating the soup.

Chicolini posted:

In honor of this week's Curb: After every sip?!

This week's Curb was like watching half a dozen Seinfeld episodes at once, with all the various quirky titles and terms being thrown around ("You know what you are? You're a Social Assassin!" "She's verbal texting!" "I'm the dessert referee.") Best episode thus far in the season by far.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sash! posted:

We are living in a society :colbert:

"Because of society, right?"
"Yes, George. Because of society."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Martytoof posted:

That's it! Flaming globes of Sigmund! That's my note! That's what I thought was so funny!

Ahahaha, yes, yes..."Cleveland 117, San Antonio 109."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

thepokey posted:

For sale - a big, juicy, van.

Interesting trades accepted!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ehud posted:

Unfortunately the immutable laws of physics contradict the whole premise
of your account :colbert:

I am saying that the spit could not have come from behind...that there had to have been a second spitter! Behind the bushes, down the gravelly road!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
And the peat! Ahhh, the peat.

Does anybody happen to have a GIF of Kramer's wonderfully odd Nazi salute?