Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

safety dan posted:

This is going to be a shame...

I got beeeaaaaaned with a giant ball of oiiiiil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yeah this conversation thread died awhile ago, but whatever. You guys forgot about...

ELAINE: Hey, Kramer, listen, you've seen The Omen right?

ELAINE: What exactly was that kid?

KRAMER: Who, Damien? Nothing, just a mischievous, rambunctious kid.

Kramer's confident delivery of there being nothing out of the ordinary about Damien just kills me.

Chili fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 26, 2011

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Ok crap, I need help, this is probably the first and only time I didn't get a Seinfeld joke. I was re-watching The Opera (such a good episode).

Elaine goes to Crazy Joe's apartment, and he invites her into his darkroom:

Crazy Joe Davola: I developed them myself in my dark room. Would you like to see?
Elaine: In the dark room? No, thank you, not right now. I'm a day person ...

I take it the joke is she likes having sex during the day...? But I think it's daytime, I'm confused.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

The darkroom is where he develops his photographs. He's inviting her into a creepy, dark, confined and intimate space and she's already freaking out about how scary he is, so she comes up with a lame, slightly panicky excuse about being a day person (i.e, not liking the dark) so she can turn him down, hopefully without him going off the deep end.

I understood all of that but I think there's more to it specifically, it feels like a reference or something more, she does here whole cutesy twist gesture and everything.

Edit; also, I forgot all about this, and god drat, so funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kR269tp28

Chili fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 28, 2012

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

She is nervous because she just found out her boyfriend is a maniac. Nothing more to it.

drat, I really wanted more. :(

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

Last night I performed a pre-emptive breakup. Worked perfectly, gained Hand. Thank you, Larry David.

Was she shocked / never saw it coming?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

penis sandwich posted:

If I like their race, how can that be racist?

You know... You're not chinese.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

safety dan posted:

Middle finger straight up! At me! At us!

:ninja: We're following him :ninja:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Gene's trash!

I'm Gene. :stare:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Loving Life Partner posted:

I never understood that little plot. Were there actually shelves at the video store for movie connoisseurs to make suggestions and stuff? I never saw anything like that in real life, maybe it was a New York thing.

Staff picks are the best, but they are sadly a thing of the past. :(

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Important question...

"Bro", or "Mansiere" ?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

Who the hell is going to buy something called a "Mansiere"? With "Bro" you can market it like it's a tough guys thing instead of a really pretentious french sounding name.

See I was Team Bro since I watched that episode back in high school. But I don't know, I think if you're appealing try to appeal to an older demographic, "Bro" might be too colloquial.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

Market two versions, one the 'Mansiere' for the older demographic, the second one the 'Bro' or 'Sports Bro' for the young fatties.

Brilliant. Let's partner up, I know a guy.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Ned's a guy who buys irregular underwear. Next!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

Little Stuart Rifkin likes to go shopping with his mother!

That whole scene reminded me just how horrible Elaine was. Vetoing a dude's name choices and insisting on her own for a dude she's only been dating for x amount of weeks. Jeez Elaine, chill your tits and let the guy go by Todd.

P.S Todd is a really lovely name... BUT IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN HER CHOICE

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Bobfromsales posted:

Y'know you've given this comedy thing your best shot. Yeah, you had some good observations, but it's over. Now, this Bloomingdale thing, that could be the next wave!

I thought we said we weren't going to bring that up.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

trapped mouse posted:

A young lady I know, let's call her Elaine, happened to find herself overwhelmed with feelings of resentment and hostility for her friend, let's call him George. She felt that George was somewhat of a loser and that she was the one who deserved to be married first. She also happened to mention to me that her friend had wondered if going to a prostitute while you're engaged is considered cheating. His feeling was they're never going to see each other again, so what's the difference. But that is a subject for another sermon. Now, I'd like to close with a psalm.

There will be a small reception afterwards featuring SnackWells.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Pierce and Pierce posted:

I love that the kid in the front seat ended up being the mucus kid in Little Giants. By the way, I've probably stared at this gif for 10 straight minutes and it's still cracking me up.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

atomic gog posted:

Do I smell?

edit: Pantene. Do I smell Pantene?

Why yes, I got a sample mixed in with my junk mail.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
ASTROTURF?! You know who's responsible for that?! :rant:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

Chapter one. In order to manage risk we must first understand risk. How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk and what makes it so risky?

He sounds just like me!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I asked T Finn about this and he didn't have a problem with it so I'll go ahead and post it (albeit a little late). I'm running a Seinfeld themed game of mafia in GBS. If you don't know what mafia is, it's a discussion based party game that is often played in the real world. Here, we do a play by post thing.

It can be a lot of fun. I've been writing a good amount of Seinfeld flavor to go along with the game and it's been a good time so far. A couple of players may be needing replacing though, and I figured I'd turn to you guys as you are at least into the source material.

The thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471654

If you're interested, feel free to PM me, or e-mail me at GotNoFaith --- @ --- Gmail for a spot. I'll probably be needing one or two players tomorrow. Mention that you heard about the game through this post and I'll give you a priority for a spot.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I swear to god, The Cartoon has a couple of my favorite moments of the entire series, including "Sooooooooooo.............Susan's dead! :shobon: " and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-5dUgGVCdM

God, I forgot the look on Kramer's face when he's walking over. He's so god drat happy that he's actually being invited over. It's adorable and coming from one one of the world's most interesting looking dudes, that's saying something.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

potee posted:

I don't return fruit. Fruit's a gamble, I know that going in.

This was one of the first bits of lunacy that, when I watched it, I totally agreed with.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

"Mr. Thomassoulo, during times of great stress, people are capable of super-human strength. Have you ever seen 'The Incredible Hulk', sir?"

"No."

"How about the old 'Spider-Man' live-action show?"

We don't like you, and we want you to leave.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

haljordan posted:

Play Now was such a perfect place for George to (briefly) work at.

"Mr. Thomassoulo picked the wrong man to hire because he was fake handicapped!"

Hey, if there was a perfect place for George, it was clearly Kruger.

We don't care and it shows!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Hank Morgan posted:

It is a horrible company. There's no management whatsoever. I could go hog wild in there.

And in true George fashion he was miserable there.

George, check it out, three times around... with no feet. All me, aaaaallll meeee. :smug:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Hank Morgan posted:

Kruger. My son tells me your company stinks. Kruger, you couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe... I lost my train of thought.

Jerry's reaction to that was priceless.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
:rant: Of course I wanted it! I love! Spongecake!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Iowa Snow King posted:

"She's a heartbreaker, lovetaker, Brubaker, run this prison like a man! Ooh Ooh!"

I'm just gonna sit down right here and wait for that guy.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

That's adorable.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

...What the gently caress is your problem?

Hey Hey Hey ... let's keep this sophisticated.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

hcreight posted:

I can't take it anymore, I'm going to work! YA HAPPY NOW?

Work? You know your infringing on my right to celebrate new holidays?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

*BANG*

YOW

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

potee posted:

No resources, no skill, no talent, no ability, no brains...

No time!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

potee posted:

Those ideas and the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry and Kramer convinced me that Seinfeld could have gone on indefinitely and continued to be funny.

It is amazing though, that about 80% of the problems that occur on Seinfeld could have been solved by a cellphone.

Not saying they couldn't adapt. poo poo, the segments they made for Curb show that it can easily stand the test of time, but it would be different.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Sometimes your father forgets, so I have to steal them.

Since when do you treat me to cough medicine?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

GEORGE LIKES THE BANANAS!

SO LET HIM HAVE BANANAS ON THE SIDE!

Frank and Estelle are without a doubt my favorite characters outside of the main 4. Frank gets a lot of love but was Estelle Harris absolutely perfect for that role.

As good as they were, I still maintain that Jerry's parents were perhaps the best set of minor characters in the whole show.

The "Yaaaaaay Jerry got it open" scene still makes me howl every time I see it. It's perfect.

Also, just the small throwaway things we hear about them like Jerry's jacket story all ring perfectly true.

I do actually wonder about the "Jewish" element of Seinfeld humor, and how much of it is accessible. Growing up (I was raised in a Jewish household in a predominantly Jewish community), I always thought that every joke that "worked" in Seinfeld, based on cultural Judaism or not, worked because it was funny, and anyone who had a good sense of humor could see the merit therein.

Then I went to college, left my Jewish community, and suddenly there were people who didn't think Seinfeld was funny. It blew my mind, I remember actually calling up friends and asking them what the gently caress was wrong with these people, and over and over again the response that came back was that Seinfeld was "Jewish humor" and that I shouldn't expect everyone to like it because of that.

Obviously, I know that's not the case, as only one character of the main four come from a Jewish background. Also, there are plenty of valid reasons to not like the show. There are, however, certainly jokes that stem from cultural Judaism and I am perpetually curious about how people who may not be as familiar with that perspective digest the show, and take in those sorts of jokes.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

You know that scene where Jerry goes to a Catholic Church and he has no idea what the hell anything is about and casually uses Holy Water to clean his hands? That's about as much as I know about Jewish customs* and I thought the show was hilarious and never felt like any part of the show was going over my head or referencing something I didn't understand. Larry David did a drat good job of making sure that the show was genuinely funny on its own merits.

* you guys go to Temple on Fridays and.... uhhh... you can't eat pork, right? That's about all I know.

I couldn't agree more. I've just heard it used so many times when people don't like the show. My roommate in college insisted that the only reason I didn't like a Tyler Perry show and he didn't like Seinfeld is that we just came from different backgrounds and we didn't understand the opposing sensibilities of humor. It's not that I ever agreed with that sentiment, but I do recognize that the shows come from two different places. They also, however, have a veritable chasm separating the two of them as far as writing quality goes. So yeah, I've still been curious, but I tend to dissect and analyze humor far too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Vietnamwees posted:

Look, The Narrator, my rods & cones are all screwed up!

Hey, look! A dime!