Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know a lot of people claim that seasons 8 and 9, aka the post-Larry David seasons, are inferior to the rest of the show, since things got a lot wackier after Larry left, but frankly I don't care and think that some of the series's funniest episodes are from that era.
People with no critical credentials whatsoever love saying this because it's populist and fronts a false aura of superiority while knowing they'll never be asked to qualitatively justify their reasoning. THere are no bad seasons of Seinfeld, and as a crazy fan who knows entire chunks of episodes by rote in dialogue and on-screen antics, several of my favortie episodes are in the final season (The Slicer, The Strike, The Frogger, The Dealership, The Merv Griffin Show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Tiny Fistpump posted:

As a completely mental fan I have to admit some slight disappointment in the finale AT THE TIME but it has grown on me since and I feel like I get why that had to be the way it ended.
I actually haven't seen those extras - I still have yet to own the entire series boxset because I've never had $300 floating around for it. It's been the solid #1 on my list, though. Thanks for the heads up on the extras, I'll savor them when I get around to it.

The finale actually was pretty lousy. One of the greatest parts about the CYE reunion season was that we had the whole cast out of character casually and unanimously slag off on Larry for writing it as he did. It was like canonical absolution a decade in the making! :roflolmao:

Tiny Fistpump posted:

sometimes when people ask me stuff I say "yeah that's right" in a monotone while squinting. I don't care if they get it, it entertains me and that's all that counts.
I deadpan "That's a shame." all the time. Have answered the phone with "Who is this?"

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 22, 2010

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

"That's a shame."

haljordan posted:

I keep waiting for one of my friends to call me in a completely frantic state with a long, drawn out tale of woe so I can calmly respond "Who is this?" with a poo poo-eating grin on my face.
Beat you both! :hehe:

Dr_Amazing posted:

The best part of that is how he starts banging the phone on the wall.
This actually happens 3 times total throughout the series. One of my favorite physical gags.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

McSpanky posted:

Also when George gets comeuppance on Elaine. I can only recall this happening explicitly once, when Elaine becomes George and George becomes successful, but it had to happen some other time?
You're very probably thinking of "The Opposite" in S5, which is one of my all-time favorite episodes. A variation of this same theme occurs in "The Abstinence" in S8 as well, where George finds a sexual dryspell greatly increases his intellect while the same circumstance has the inverse effect on Elaine.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't even remember the context of the clip but I can't stop laughing at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJnE-uiJvo
'The Susie' - Another favorite. To anyone who doesn't watch too closely; the death of an imaginary person created by Elaine is a heavy load to bear in exactly the same way as Susan's death was to George. She closes out the episode with a spinning dolly shot and an anguished scream of "SUUUUUSE", just like George did the same with "KHAAAAAAN" in 'The Foundation'.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

GigaPeon posted:

I want to say that's an episode of the Drew Carey show...
I'm pretty sure that's a deadpan troll because he gets literally every detail wrong.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

JethroMcB posted:

Don't forget George's far more anguished "TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIX!" It's the only candy with the cookie crunch!
I didn't, I mentioned earlier that 'The Dealership' is one of my choice eps. It doesn't actually link thematically to the other two, it's just hilarious.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

kolby posted:

One of my favorite/random lines was, "Whoa, that's a lot of potatoes!" Am I forgetting the episode where they explain the potato man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFZIj96LwY
Kramer stumbling into the potato man's apartment after he gets shocked via an electrical outlet is in "The Slicer". In a previous episode it's mentioned that Elaine's floor always smells like potatoes, but it's never particularly explained in either episode iirc.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Slvbarek posted:

It wasn't a previous episode. It gets mentioned towards the beginning, but I don't remember the context.
Are you sure? I feel confident it was foreshadowed at least once. On the other hand, we do hardly ever see the Elaine's apartment set throughout the series.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ehud posted:

It's the same episode.

Elaine: You remember that next door neighbor of mine, the apartment that always smells like potatoes?

Jerry: Your whole building smells like potatoes.
Of course I know it's mentioned within "The Slicer" before Kramer's tumble (it's one of my top eps, bacdafukup), but I had recalled it being mentioned in passing before (Elaine askes "remember", so it's certainly plausible).

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

penis sandwich posted:

A few years ago at my first job, I was in a rush to get together a whole crapload of pages for a book right before a meeting -- basically, I had to get 10 copies of this book printed -- and the printer had hosed up and didn't collate the pages. So I had stacks of pages in my cubicle, and I was sitting on the floor trying to sift my way through all of this stuff, and one of the editors walked by, took one look at the papers and at how frustrated I was, and said to me, "And you want to be my latex salesman," then walked away.
You got burned in style!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I could really use an animated gif of Kramer's restless sleep from "The Millennium". Such a classic.

"Jerry...*flips to other side of pillow* Newman...*faces upward* Two thousand...*bolts upriright, screaming* NEWMANIUM!!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I forgot to include "The Bookstore" in my previous lists. Probably the #1 ep for Uncle Leo action.

UNCLE LEO: (Leo has "Jerry" written on the fingers his right hand, and "Hello" written on his left. He's doing pull-ups) Jerry...Hello...Jerry...Hello! JERRY. *Turns, yelling out* Answer that drat phone!!

(Scene cuts to Jerry, who is just now waking up to the phone's ringing. He answers it)

JERRY: Hello!?
ELAINE: Hey, it's me.
JERRY: Uncle Leo?!
ELAINE: Oh, that's nice.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Tiny Fistpump posted:

It's bullshit that the Puerto Rican parade episode will never be aired in syndication
It has been. As far as I know there was a moratorium that was on it for a while but eventually it chilled out. I've seen it on TV like 5 times.

They may have all been Canadian channels, though. :roflolmao:

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's one of the very best episodes. It seems different from other episodes. More 'Epic,' I guess, I'd call it. I guess the staff of season nine must've wanted a big send-off before Larry showed back up for the finale.
I wouldn't rank it anywhere near the top 50, but the alter-ego apartment showdown is quite fantastic.

Nothing bad ever happened to cedric & bob, the faggy thugs. :ssj:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

George's dark green jacket with the flat collar is in his wardrobe pretty much the entire series. It's pretty neat.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

You forgot DEATH BLOW

Kramer: "Death Blow: When someone tries to blow you up, not because of who you are, but for different reasons altogether!"

"You have selected...Agent Zero?"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Vertical Lime posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjj5d2WW4MQ&feature=related

That reminds me, we never saw Bob Sacamano.
You never see Lomaz, either.

JERRY: "You sure have a lot of friends. How come I never see any of these people?"
KRAMER: "They want to know why they never see you."

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 28, 2010

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

If you wanted to give actual due, you would do well to recognize Tom Pepper as played by character actor Larry Hankin!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

the aftermath posted:

It wasn't him, I could've sworn it was though.
I see no way it wasn't him. it's not as though he has a clone. IMDB's/tv.com's episode listings don't include the junkyard man credit. Did you check the opening credit roll (where he should be for having so many lines) and the closing credits?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

got dat wmd posted:

I bought the complete series about a month ago and have been going through it with the Notes About Nothing on since I've seen every episode at least a hundred times when it was on and in syndication. The amount of effort they put into the trivia track is amazing. You also learn a lot of useless trivia about nothing from it as well (like verbose details on the origin of cereal and a TRAGIC play by play of Game Six :()!

I still can't get over how dark The Opera is. Elaine almost gets raped/murdered but saved by binaca. The awkward laughter from the studio audience only makes it more dark. Larry Charles really has a sick mind and his episodes really stick out. Infact I think I've never seen that particular ep in syndication, ever.

My favourite line exchange is still "I'm allergic to coconut. / I'm not. / A nickle!"
I can hardly wait to absorb all those from the box set or youtube. I've seen so many endless via syndication too.

The Opera does play on tv, but you may not have seen it because not every channel actually plays in production order for whatever reason.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No one will play Seinfeld Scene-it with me because it's inherently unfair for them as it is. Those DVD extras will grant me unimaginable trivia power.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

I don't mind the laugh tracks at all apart from one thing; at some point in season 5, they had to specifically instruct the audience not to go all apeshit when/if Kramer enters Jerry's apartment because it kept (understandably) throwing Richards off when the audience would cheer for a good 10-15 seconds while the cast were just standing there, waiting for a break so they could say their lines. In the earlier seasons it gets pretty annoying to watch.
That's actually one of my favorite foibles from seasons 2-5, watching Kramer's stock as a beloved character rise incrementally, episode to episode.

Seinfeld is one of the only sitcoms ever that doesn't suffer from its laughtrack. They play with the timing extremely well.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The laugh factory incident broke my heart :smith:
It didn't bother me at all. A lot of people bought into the ridiculous media frenzy (this was when tmz was still fledgling) and misconstrued the entire incident as a premeditated tirade against an entire race. In fact, he was going off on one guy and his friend who wouldn't shut their loud talking up during his comedy set. The serious approach he takes with performance not surprisingly lead to some intensely focused rage, but he was merely going off on that one guy as hard as he could.

The atonement in Curb S7 is fantastic because he literally explains it all in one line: "If only there were a...horrible name that I could call you that would make you as angry as I am!!". Losing his poo poo in public is a definite PR blackeye, but the slackjawed populist ignorance of anyone who tried paint him as some kind of david duke for it is far more offensive.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZde2tEK1Y

Watch the whole drat thing, anyway. It's beyond worth it if you're in this thread in the first place!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

safety dan posted:

But Jerry says "one year late" and it should be "one year early", as 2000 comes before the "true millennium" 2001. And thus, not as lame.
It seems confusing at first but what Jerry is actually saying is that by Newman's booking of the "millennial" NYE, he's set up for 2001, but all the real parties would be occuring on December 31st, 1999.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Cromulent posted:

I know he's said it a few times, but I think the first one is from "The Apology." George is referring to Stanky Hanky's refusal to apologize for the sweater/stretched neck hole comment and his further insults.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eaUXkicnXQ

I feel like he also says it in the Pureto Rican Day episode, about the laser-pointer guy, but it's been a while since I've seen that one.
Nah, it was all in "The Apology", he says it in some form twice though.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That's generally true for older machines, but the truly unbelievable part of that scenario is that Mario's pizza would experience completely uninterrupted power for over 12 years.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WoG posted:

Since both shows only exist in one boy's dream, I think we have to overlook small incongruities.
No, really, don't even start with this corn-rear end bullshit.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That poo poo confuses real-life actors with fictional characters. Such subpar hypothetical reaching isn't worth dwelling upon, much less derailing The Seinfeld Thread about.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Considering it was from memory, he did do a pretty drat good job.

I loving love "The Slicer". George torpedoes his entire elaborate coverup scheme as a matter of pride in mere seconds, and it doesn't make one difference.

"THAT'S WHAT THEY TELL ME!!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

ChickenMedium posted:

That lead me to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6AzFj6TF-U&feature=related which either I never saw or just forgot, but it absolutely killed me.
It's the cold open to "The Bookstore" which is a great ep.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That same sentiment is echoed in "The Muffin Tops" regarding his Peterman Reality Tour.

Jerry: "The last thing this guy is qualified to give a tour of is reality!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

:cawg: Ahaha, :iceburn:

One of my favorite scenes remembered yesterday: In "The Wink" when George is trying to cajole Kramer to get the Yankee Birthday Card returned and pries his eyes open while shouting "GET IT BACK!!!" in his patented outburst tone.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"The Susie" is also a direct mirror of "The Foundation". Elaine endures the same turmoil and strife George did at the hands of Susan's memory. Susie dies as well. Love that ep.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I imagined it would've grossed even more in royalties. It's the stuff of a syndication legend. Not that there's anything wrong with generating 3 billion dollars for doing nothing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"The Tape" from Season 3.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I always adored that scene. You can't script incidental physical comedy like that.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I love the badge-ripping bit because you can see Jerry fighting so hard not to flub the scene. That was probably their 6th take or something.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"The Strike" when everyone is gathered at Frank's Festivus table and two-face Gwen shows up unexpectedly, catching Jerry in what she thinks is a date with Elaine who looks awful because of the bagel steambath earlier. Kramer loudly proclaims "Another Festivus Miracle!" and Jerry immediately shoots him the most malicious eye-daggers he ever brings out in the series, to which Kramer recoils in fear. It's outstanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xi9kgnvjQE#t=2m05s Low quality, but the only copy of the clip I could find. :xd:

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

BlackJosh posted:

That lead me to this, which reminded me how much I love the Serenity Now episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxkDsccylAk&feature=related

"Hoochie mama! Hoochie maaamaaaa!!"
Watching a traumatized Kramer rock placidly back and forth in the chair outside his screen door while muttering "serenity now" is a grand culmination of his plot in that episode, about which everything is grand. Simply seeing him to be wrestled to the ground by a barrage of silly string while George is asleep at the hose switch, paralyzed in fear at Jerry's touchy feely advance is unimitable.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 22, 2010