Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
"Hey, neighbor!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

got dat wmd posted:

The last two seasons are def. a low point
Fairweather fans love saying this but never, ever have the juice to back it up. There was nothing wrong with late-period Seinfeld. I'm as big a fan as anyone and a shitload of my favorite eps are in that interval. You have to know what to appreciate.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Neither is hijacking a nazi limo, killing ancient matriarchs by dissing their toy ponies, turning purple from Tor's homeopathic medicine, foiling a lawsuit with some off-brand balm, or a linen closet packed with Today sponges. Seinfeld was never realistic as a ground rule, that's one of the resons it owns so loving much.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

So? It's a character-based comedy, and those character never strayed. 180 episodes of ingenious plotting without more than one or two near story retreads is no small feat. It was certainly handled with much more grace than the Simpsons desperately resorted to in its autumn years, and cartoons don't carry the burden of natural limitations that live action multi-camera shows do.

Fun fact: The Simpsons' 180th episode was the universally maligned "The Principal and the Pauper", aka the 'Armin Tamzarian Story'. Like fuckin' clockwork. :roflolmao:

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 22, 2010

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

Also, we had a family BBQ on the weekend and someone mixed up the garbage bag full of pre-packaged snacks with the garbage-garbage bag. So I now have 3-4 bags of potato chips that came out of the garbage.

I'm eating them without shame.

God Bless Larry David.
That's different though, because bags of chips and similar vaccuum packaging verify their purity by virtue of bag integrity. George's eclair was sitting on an open wrapper, but had a bite out of the opposite end.

I think the real question is who throws out a whole eclair after one bite? What a monster.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

He looks like a frog.
I think he meant the driver of the big rig that callously plowed through the Frogger without even slowing.

Schlomo actually appears earlier in "The Muffin Tops" in one of Kramer's reality tours. The unhelpful parking lot attendant from "The Wig Master" shows up to as a dump supervisor. He also looks like the Indian Jon Stewart.

"Can't do it."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It is the same guy, I wasn't implying that either of them were recast. Simply changed jobs for a quick, precise gag.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

There's 4 or 5 times throughout the series where Newman segues into an increasingly agitated tirade about a peeve in his life and someone (Jerry, Kramer, postal employee of superior rank) has to jolt him out of it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Dean Jones: "…Mending chicken wire, high tea with a Mr. Newman."
Kramer: "I know it sounds pretty glamorous, but it’s business as usual at Kramerica."

"I'm just so glad it's back!!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

OldSenileGuy posted:

The 'Here Lies Fiwer' img isn't going to come true?!
Let's not jump the gun, you've seen their posts. :xd:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I gotta say "The Cartoon" is one of my very few disliked episodes. kathy griffin in a major guest role? NO THANKS. The one bright spot being Kramer's rant about George's attraction to the lady Jerry.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"I didn't know you could wake up from a coma!"
"I didn't know it was possible to not know that."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"It's a Farbman!"

mojo1701a posted:

Oh, and don't forget Bob Cobb, Alec Berg, Sal Bass, and FDR.
Alec Berg was actually a staffer they named the character in honor of. He didn't die or anything, though.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

My favorite line in those rambling yarns was about how he sent addict Zack to Burma "in search of low-cost missiles".

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

THERE I FIXED IT posted:

Was it missiles? I always heard "whistles", which slayed me.
I prefer missiles because it's so wildly improbable it fits perfectly into Peterman's unhinged brand of ribald eccentricity.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Everyone in the world knew that except for you.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

the aftermath posted:

I'm sure you do

This is one of my favorite bits from the show, it's a complete random throw away that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot, which makes it even funnier:

"I think that ginger ale at the coffee shop is just Coke and Sprite mixed together. How can I prove it? Damnit, I can't. Damnit."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zouOHqy8unI
It's just one of those perfect George moments.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Many of you may have seen this already, but at around 2:20, Frank Caliendo does some fantastic impressions of Jerry, George, and especially Kramer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYP3jhqUC3I
This is terrible.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Tough luck, chinless!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

explosivo posted:

GET IT BACK!
Ahaha, I love that scene so much.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I aso can't figure out what's under the cake. Closest thing I can think of is that maybe they're sticks of butter from the butter shave, but that doesn't make much sense. Did he use that much?
He sure did. I managed to figure it out.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

HateTheInternet posted:

The only other sitcom that really did this at the time was Married With Children. While I respect that part of Married With Children, I never really fully understood its appeal v:shobon:v
Married With Children's comedic intent wasn't too different from the films of John Waters.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

BrainMeats posted:

Seinfeld had no problem with things you'd never seen on television before, so yeah it could be seen as sexual just because everyone else was afraid of the topic. The reference that still surprises me regarding their adult themes making it onto network television:

"Reversed positions?"

"Yeah you know. Head to toe."

"So what. Your genitals are still lined up."

"No, because I slept with my back to him."

":aaa:"
Last line should be :raise:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"Can't do it." - jiffypark/jiffydump supervisor who looks like a Mediterranean Jon Stewart.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

HateTheInternet posted:

Conversely, having off-the-wall action sound-effects during George's viewing of Home Alone cracks me up every time. Ah well.
Always loved that detail because I projected it as taking the piss out of big, stupid hollywood blockbusters and simultaneously belittling George's taste in entertainment.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Max22 posted:

-- You don't like the movie?

-- I HATE IT!!
One of Elaine's rare ultimate explosions. Classic.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

User-Friendly posted:

I forgot how much of an rear end in a top hat Jerry was in "The Bookstore." George tries so hard to get rid of the book, and Jerry just sort of cuts him off at the knees every time, then he rats him out knowing full well that the bookstore intends to prosecute.

And this is right after he gets mad at Kramer for being willing to turn Jerry in if he killed anyone.
"If somebody betrays me, I never forget."

J E RR Y H E ll O

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Hope you don't think you aren't the 400th person to post that. Not even the best quality! You have no hand.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Hank Morgan posted:

Giddy-up!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Cage posted:

The way he decides to just keep going and how happy it makes his Mentor just kills me.
"Have you tried this stuff?"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Cage posted:

"We meet at last. I admire your skills...Mr. Peanut."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ishamael posted:

It isn't a crotch grab, it is a funny hand movement to emphasize what he is saying, Captain PBF.
No, the steering wheel definitely makes a lot more sense, even if Stiller does it out of place.

procrasturbate posted:

I just wanted to share the one Seinfeld blooper that never fails to crack me up. The more times I watch it, the funnier it gets. George's attempt at doing his line is just priceless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_93zbK-ZUO0&feature=related&t=3m24s

Good thinking Cougar!
Bloopers of "The Strike". Excellent. Are these all on the DVDs?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

I'd like to think Shawn Ryan saw Chicklis' Seinfeld character and modeled Vic after him.
Why on earth? His role was one of the Unemployed Commish (both literally and figuratively at the time).

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

T. Finn posted:

I love this scene so much because Jerry has a mouthful of coffee cake and is also smirking when he delivers the line, and he holds it out at arms length and sort of showcases it, while Newman is slavering over it.
Don't forget its superior decendant from "The Package".

"Pretty hot under these lights, eh Seinfeld? Pretty...Hot!"
"Actually, I'm quite comfortable."
*sweating, eying Jerry's can of root beer* "C-can I have a sip?"
"No."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

dxt posted:

Can'tstantya!

my local fox station plays the wide screen versions but not in HD :argh:
There are no HD Seinfeld masters, unless you count the CYE episode for some reason. The ones that appear to be higher res are actually just vertically letterboxed, which means they're in fact worse than the original broadcasts because you lose significant visual data.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Berkeloid posted:

Here's some comparison shots I made years ago to demonstrate the difference between the 4:3 and 16:9 versions:

I don't think that horizontal gain is anywhere near worth the vertical loss. It makes a lot of scenes really claustrophobic.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 11, 2010

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The outtake runs too long and it's got the reflexive upturned palm so I don't think it's as good for pacing, but man is that chug ever impressive.

JethroMcB posted:

Jerry: I didn't sleep with her!
George: Because of society, right?
He'd certainly need to be rid of his parents to be happy as well.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

bruckner posted:

The funneist thing I've been thinking about recently is george offering the susan ross scholarship to a young aspiring architect with a solid 2.0 GPA. George chooses him instantly when he tries lying about being a chess player.
"Right in the meaty part of the curve - Not showin' off, not fallin' behind!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Hank Morgan posted:

It reminds me of that episode where he had to wear the thick glasses for some reason. What episode was that?
"The Gum"

"POP! PAAAAHP!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I'd imagine most here would contend that it's one of the very few that skates just fine with audience noise. They certainly accommodated it quite effectively in terms of beats and timing, but it was no small effort. Like those stories about how you can trace a timeline over a few early seasons by the progressively more boisterous laughter whenever Kramer enters the apartment to the apex where the audience had to be cautioned to knock it down a few notches from then on.

I mean, it's also a huge help that Seinfeld was consistently hilarious for nearly its entire run.