Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Not surprisingly we have Jerry 20 years later doing his best to squander his considerable reserve of public goodwill and inadvertently shifting more post-mortem credit for all the brilliance of Seinfeld to Larry David who is still actively producing radical comedy in the year of our lord 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

LividLiquid posted:

Siding with Jay Leno and making The Marriage Ref.
Those, plus his contemporary acts have been incredibly unfunny. Doesn't stop him from wallowing in the legacy and charging like 500 bucks a seat, anyway.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

HateTheInternet posted:

Hey kids, what's the deal with homework? You're not working on your home!

boooooo...
According to popular wisdom that's pretty much exemplary of his recent acts in a nutshell. :stare:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Flobbster posted:

Here's something we can all argue about : Are the new Seinfeld scenes in Curb to be considered part of Seinfeld canon?
Uh, absolutely 100%. The basis of an entire scene was the whole cast ripping on how lousy the finale was.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

George: "I got greedy. Flew too close to the sun on Wings of Pastrami..."

Jerry: "Yeah, THAT'S what you did."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"The iToilet...And I invented it!!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

neoboman posted:

My sentiment exactly. If those people did watch the show, they clearly never got the point, that much is obvious. I'd get off on hearing all the trendy people who just watched the finale to be part of the event complain about it, if it weren't for the fact that the popular opinion still seems to be that the finale was subpar. As Larry said through George once: "I'm not going to dumb it down for some bonehead mass audience!"
My enduring problem with that it was too wink-wink nudge-nudgey and precious for its own good and it ended up coming off as a crass "remember that?", classic cornball sitcom gimmicks I'd liked to have believed the brand was above. I'm all for righteous condemnation of some legendarily awful protagonists - not when it isn't anywhere near as funny as anything that came before it, however.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

bruckner posted:

Vegavetavitamin and the conveyor belt are cultural staples the way everybody has heard "say hello to my big friend" but haven't all necessarily seen scarface
Such as yourself?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Konec Hry posted:

I always thought it was so surreal that they actually thought this hairstyle looked WORSE than his regular
It did, he looked like a 5 year old in the 50s.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Quick, take a time machine back to the 1993 set and be sure to tell them they were making their jokes all wrong!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

They do that with a bunch of sounds/dialogue in the last 2 seasons.

"MANDELBAUM! MANDELBAUM! MANDELBAUM!"
*sausage-making polka*
*Newman's scream of terror from driving through an inferno*
"Really one for the books!"

Just to name a few.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ganon posted:

So I recently noticed that George mentions an Ostrich Burger in two different episodes. Now I'm hoping I see it come up in another one.
No, that's it. It's outstanding how he's ignored soundly both times.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That was Jerry's cantankerous old charge with the haitian caretaker and the record collection. George's old guy was the decrepit mastermind from the saw movies.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

neoboman posted:

The caretaker was from Senegal (wild, wild stuff) and Tobin Bell played the record store owner, not George's old man.
"Well, you know, the important thing is that you learned something."
"No I didn't."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

He had to take a huge dump and her bathroom was like, right in her living room.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

I find pastrami to be the most erotic of the dried, cured meats.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Here's a GIF that no one's asked for that's one of my favorite little moments. At Festivus dinner in "The Strike", where Kramer unexpectedly invites Gwen Twoface and in the process stymies Jerry. He exclaims "It's a Festivus miracle!!" to which Jerry immediately responds by shooting silent, furious eyedaggers across the table, which startle Kramer visibly. I would enjoy this small, lesser-seen sequence of events in portable image format!

Oh and while you're there, get Kramer's *frrrtt beep-boppa vrrrt* Out there!

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 3, 2011

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Konec Hry posted:

Yesssss! One in a million shot, doc.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Pretty much just terrible reality gameshows for fat north american sadsacks.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

safety dan posted:

I haven't had a decent sandwich in thirteen years!
"Can it cut that thin?"
"Oh, I've cut slices so thin, I couldn't even see them."
"Then how did you know you cut it?"
"Well - I guess I just assumed..."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Alhazred posted:

That's the episode where Elaine dreams that she's in bed with George, Jerry and Kramer isn't it? I like how it's implied that the only reason Elaine hangs out with them is because she hates her other friends slightly more than she hates Jerry and co.
Yes, that's the opening scene that's trimmed down in syndication. The latter isn't really true though - she's simply a man's woman!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Loving Life Partner posted:

He looks like a Peanuts character!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Maarak posted:

Highly recommend checking out Lord of Illusions if you like that actor. He plays a completely different role, but with some of the same irreverence that later K-uuuuuger has.
Daniel Van Bargen was pretty drat good in Malcolm in the Middle while it was still watchable, as much as that means. Didn't even have to look that up. :kiddo:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"ALRIGHT! EVERYBODY OUT OF THE CHUNNEL!!"

I have selected...Agent Zero?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

slax0r posted:

How is Agent Zero NOT among those? The way the nice man on the MovieFone asks me if it's really the movie I want to see just piques my curiosity.
Part of the joke was that Agent Zero wasn't necessarily a real movie, just indicative Kramer's utter inability to recognize dialtones by ear despite attempting to mimic moviefone programming. A-Z is just one of the most extreme, zany guesses possible.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Secks posted:

:wtf: on Yahoo sports:

"Seinfeld Inspires Texas Rangers' Lineup"
Obnoxious middle aged slob host inspires bat assault to own face & gut.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

OnlyJuanMon posted:

But anyways, I had my absolute MIND blow the other day watching an episode. Has anyone ever pointed out that the entire geometry of Jerry's apt. makes no sense at all? The main door, the kitchen is slanted backwards about 30 degrees, yet every exterior hallway shot, the hall is straight. The hallway would have to bend to go around the kitchen.
Yes. The bicycle really ties it all together.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Bulbous Goiter posted:

Did you know that Maroon Golf has actually appeared in an episode nearly 2 seasons prior to the Puerto Rican Day episode of season 9?

Discuss.
Mario Joyner is a comedian friend of Jerry's irl.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

wa27 posted:

"I don't know about you, but I'm getting a hankering for some Doublemint gum!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

potee posted:

I never get tired of this scene of gif. "The Strike" is great because it automatically shits on any would-be armchair critic who tries to haughtily imply that the final season wasn't any good. It's far from the the only S9 episode that does so, too.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Chexoid posted:

It's so weird when I hear someone say they've never seen an episode of Seinfeld. No one at my university knows about it. No one. Canada is so lame.
This isn't a Canada problem, it's a "whatever backwoods hickburg you live in" problem.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

jojoinnit posted:

I love that bit because even when George actually wins for once and he's about to get away with it his pride is too much to stop him from blabbing.
I love that bit because "The Slicer" is one of my favorite all time episodes and anyone who bags on the last two seasons for being too wacky is an enemy of good times.

"THAT'S A LOTTA POTATOES!!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Spicy mustard, you are HOT TONIGHT!!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

jojoinnit posted:

George always has a certain level of reasonable point, that's what makes it so great. You can always see where hes coming from, but if you identify with his point; you're George.
That's not inherently true. Each of his qualms weren't always as invalid as the last. It's a lot more defensible to, say, claim priority for backing into a parallel park than it is to eat a discarded eclair out of the trash. See also Larry David's trials in any given episode of of CYE. They come in degrees of legitimacy!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

jojoinnit posted:

I disagree! You can make the claim that its not literally trash if it wasn't touching trash and had only been there for a very short time. You shouldn't but you can. Georges schtick isn't that he's clearly wrong, it's his reasons for fighting tooth and nail for what he's done that makes him George. It's that selfishness and his capacity for rationalising that makes George our Georgieboy.
My juxtaposition was made to demonstrate than not all of George's battles are equally ludicrous and indefensibly self-serving. It's beside the point that he always bends over backwards to make the twisted logic meet in his own head in a feverish attempt to get his way.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Of course! Absolute zero!

Yamma hamma, it's FRIGHT NIGHT!