Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
How are there AD and ST:TNG megathreads but no Seinfeld thread? gently caress that poo poo.

If you've never seen Seinfeld I don't know what the gently caress but here's some Wikipedia stuff:

quote:

Seinfeld is an US television sitcom that originally aired on NBC from July 5, 1989, to May 14, 1998, lasting nine seasons, and is now in syndication. The eponymous series was created by Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, with the latter starring as a fictionalized version of himself. Set predominantly in an apartment block on Manhattan's Upper West Side (but shot mainly in Los Angeles), the show features a host of Jerry's friends and acquaintances, including George Costanza, Elaine Benes and Cosmo Kramer.

And some sample Youtubes.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WsKNvGeNKyE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WsKNvGeNKyE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0u8KUgUqprw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0u8KUgUqprw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If you have time please watch all the Seinfeld Extras short pieces on Youtube, they are from the DVD box sets and they are full of great behind the scenes stuff. Ok post quotes and discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

hall n oates mom posted:

People with no critical credentials whatsoever love saying this because it's populist and fronts a false aura of superiority while knowing they'll never be asked to qualitatively justify their reasoning. THere are no bad seasons of Seinfeld, and as a crazy fan who knows entire chunks of episodes by rote in dialogue and on-screen antics, several of my favortie episodes are in the final season (The Slicer, The Strike, The Frogger, The Dealership, The Merv Griffin Show).

You've probably seen it but everyone else search for Seinfeld Submarine Captain on youtube, it's a 3 part behind the scenes thing where all the writers/directors/producers talk about Jerry and they talk about Larry leaving and seasons 8 & 9 and it's awesome.

As a completely mental fan I have to admit some slight disappointment in the finale AT THE TIME but it has grown on me since and I feel like I get why that had to be the way it ended.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

sometimes when people ask me stuff I say "yeah that's right" in a monotone while squinting. I don't care if they get it, it entertains me and that's all that counts.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Oh I definitely have picked up a few of Jerry's mannerisms like this.

That is a Puddy-ism!

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

My favorites rare moments are when Elaine physically threatens George

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Bobfromsales posted:

My two favorite Episodes are by far The Pen and The Cheever Letters. Both of those episodes put the cast into a world that's so completely insane they make them look normal. In both stories the people involved are in worlds so isolated they don't even realize that the way they act is abnormal. Which is what Larry David's point was in the finale anyway, except this time about the main characters.

"When you come in the house, you wipe your wheels!!"

Kills me, every time.

I loving love how Jerry and George slowly back out of the room there, Jerry points to his watch and George is just talking nonsense, "Yes time is what he's indicating there" it kills me every time I watch it.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Anyone have the clip where Kramer's car fails to start at the end of the episode where they get lost in that parking lot? I understand that that scene was completely improved, since the car really did fail to start. You can see everyone visibly lose their poo poo when Kramer gets out of the car.

That's one of the best DVD extras. The entire shoot was really hard, they had to build the parking lot set from scratch, it was after midnight, etc. Just watch.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJI5kU-q4RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJI5kU-q4RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

Did Seinfeld invent the term "double dipping" a chip? It's the first place I ever heard it. that show was really a modern day Shakespeare with all the little contributions to language it made.

Seinfeld added so much to the pop culture vernacular. People would add poo poo to their vocabulary the day after the show aired, it was true water cooler tv.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I wish I had the kavorka...

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Also I've always had A Thing for for Julia/Elaine

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

It's bullshit that the Puerto Rican parade episode will never be aired in syndication

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

My bad on the Puerto Rican Day episode, I figured that embargo was forever, good to see it's airing again.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Tolwyn posted:

I think this is a show that myself and about a dozen of my friends grew up watching, and watch 10 seconds of an episode and instantly recognize which episode it is, and spew out numerous quotes from that episode. It was pretty much THE show to watch, it was on all the time, and it never got old seeing repeat episodes. I admit I am one of the people who bought the coffee table book series collection as soon as it came out, and don't regret it one bit. And yes, it does sit on my table and I regularly flip through it.

everything about Seinfeld is still in my vocabulary and always will be

close talker
high talker
low talker
sidler
re-gifter

etc

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

penis sandwich posted:

He took *blows on glasses twice* it. out.

I love how Jerry questions it but when she tells Kramer he just does his Kramer WHOOAHHH thing instantly

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

safety dan posted:

One time I was riding in an elevator and a girl came in. Of course I had to say that I was the guy who made those crop circles in England. She had no idea what I was talking about and got off like three floors later. I did not get her number.

Another time I asked a girl at a Starbucks I had gone into a lot (just to see her) if she dated immature men. She said no.

Seinfeld lines do not work in real life, at least they haven't so far. :(

Have you tried reaching out and just sampling the fabric of her dress? It worked once in two attempts on the show.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I love that whenever Jerry was called upon to do a job he was usually pretty good at it. He was TOO good as a postman, he was the best movie bootlegger ever, etc. He was a poo poo doorman though.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

The best thing about Newman and Puddy is that they never originally intended for or wrote these characters to be so funny, it's just that as soon as Wayne Knight and Patrick Warburton auditioned for them Jerry & Larry knew it was perfect and they just went with it

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

"There she is...Miss Amer-"
"Oh shut the *car horn* up"

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

got dat wmd posted:

I bought the complete series about a month ago and have been going through it with the Notes About Nothing on since I've seen every episode at least a hundred times when it was on and in syndication. The amount of effort they put into the trivia track is amazing. You also learn a lot of useless trivia about nothing from it as well (like verbose details on the origin of cereal and a TRAGIC play by play of Game Six :()!

I still can't get over how dark The Opera is. Elaine almost gets raped/murdered but saved by binaca. The awkward laughter from the studio audience only makes it more dark. Larry Charles really has a sick mind and his episodes really stick out. Infact I think I've never seen that particular ep in syndication, ever.

My favourite line exchange is still "I'm allergic to coconut. / I'm not. / A nickle!"

haha The Opera was on last night and I was thinking the exact same thing. Crazy Joe Davola wasn't that funny, he was loving scary.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Jerry, Joe Davola. *Pbt.* *Pbt.* *Pbt.* I have a hair on my tongue; I can't get it off. You know how much I hate that? 'Course you do, you put it there. I know what you said about me, Seinfeld. I know you badmouthed me to the execs at NBC, put the kibosh on my deal. Now I'm going to put the kibosh on you. You know I've kiboshed before, and I will kibosh again.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

They had to stop the audience from going nuts when Kramer makes his appearance because it was distracting. Listen for it, it happens in earlier seasons but then disappears in later ones.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Larry gives his incident some closure in the 7th season of Curb along with making it very funny

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

George is correct, you never go in head first

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Is the "LUPUS? IS IT LUPUS?" official count at 3? That was my favorite little thing, that George's most terrifying illness fear was lupus.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Atticus Finch posted:

George's dad is the only character ever where you can type his lines IN ALL CAPS and you hear it in his voice exactly. Gotta love Jerry Stiller.

YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

FRANK: I had an affair with a Korean woman.

ELAINE: Uh, Mr. Costanza, I …

FRANK: No, I feel I need to unburden myself. I loved her very deeply. But the clash of cultures was too much. Her family would not accept me.

ELAINE: Mr. Costanza, I, …

FRANK: Maybe it was because I refused to take off my shoes. Again, the foot odour problem. Her father would look at me and say, " eno enoa juang ". Which means, "this guy - this is not my kind of guy".

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Talk about Seinfeld or get kiboshed.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

atlas futon posted:

PULP CAN MOVE BABY

Any time a grapefruit enters my field of vision I scream this out loud irl

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Relayer posted:

I just laughed for like three straight minutes at Elaine's "Lookit... it's not Suse, alright? It's Susie.. my name- is SU-SIE". Her angry\manic outbursts are always so good. The whole concept of that episode is one of the best examples of the late season surreal humor.

YOU'RE BALD

I Will Never Stop Loving Elaine Marie Benes

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is that the one where Puddy is just going to stare at the seat in front of him the whole time and it really bugs Elaine?

Yes, and it's on the blooper reel because Patrick Warburton's face is just so loving funny when he puts it on like that. Reminder that Puddy was never cast to behave like that, Larry & Jerry saw him make that face before the cameras rolled and they pissed themselves laughing. The show was special because of things like that, it was blessed by the tv gods. Jerry Stiller and Wayne Knight are the other major examples of this.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

1.0: Affi
1.0: Aardark
1.0: DoYouHasaRabbit

These guys...These are not my kinda guys...

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

The Couch is on tonight and man can Jerry be pure evil sometimes. As soon as Elaine tells him not to buy Piccino's pizza because the dude contributes to anti-abortion groups you see the light go on and Jerry proceeds to troll his own dinner by provoking Elaine to cause a scene with Poppie and then ends her relationship with a perfect guy. And he loving LOVES it.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Titleist reveal please

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Macaluso posted:

So I'm still working my way through all the seasons, and I'm at season 8 right now. I just saw the episode "The Bizarro Jerry".

That may be one of my most favorite episodes of the show. I especially liked the dedication of building an entire mirrored version of Jerry's apartment.

Yes this is when some would have you believe the show had gone downhill. Imagine a scoff so loud it breaks windows.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

She scooped the niblets?

That's what was so vexing!

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Terrible Horse posted:

He does a similar one at the Cuban embassy to the mysterious woman with sunglasses. Both are like the best Kramer moment possible.

My all time fave Kramer reaction is his response to "He took it out." That's probably one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. jerry just can't wrap his head around the idea.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

I like DeSoto

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Is there a pinkish hue?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

You will show me the Stooges?