Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I always loved this show just because of how Jerry and the gang straight up laughed in each other's faces when a personal tragedy/loss occurred. Its like there was zero compassion at all amongst the four of them. Glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Arturo Ui posted:

Which came to a climax when Susan died. Elaine's "I'm so...sorry?" is hilarious as is Kramer meta-pondering the strangeness of Susan's death ("Well that's weird...")

Haha yeah it seemed like Elaine was confused as to whether she should mock George or offer her condolences. That's a hosed up group dynamic right there.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I keep waiting for one of my friends to call me in a completely frantic state with a long, drawn out tale of woe so I can calmly respond "Who is this?" with a poo poo-eating grin on my face.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

The best part of that is how he starts banging the phone on the wall.

I've always loved how George always tries to tell one little lie to get out of doing something and it will end up snowballing into this giant thing that he has to try and hide. If only he could ever admit the first lie.

Also I've heard there's a superman joke in every single show. I knows there's a lot but is there really that many?

His epic fake house in the Hamptons. "ALRIGHT, YOU WANNA GET NUTS?! LET'S GET NUTS!!!!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tiny Fistpump posted:

My favorites rare moments are when Elaine physically threatens George

Like in "The Little Kicks" where George is out on a date with Anna. I love seeing him retract in fear when Elaine moves towards him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

hall n oates mom posted:

You're very probably thinking of "The Opposite" in S5, which is one of my all-time favorite episodes. A variation of this same theme occurs in "The Abstinence" in S8 as well, where George finds a sexual dryspell greatly increases his intellect while the same circumstance has the inverse effect on Elaine.

I haven't had sex for a week and I don't know no Portugese.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

After Jerry pretend-smothers George in the hospital after his "heart attack"...."Elaine....what are YOU doing here?"

Haha and George calls him a jerkoff.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

Big Stein wants an eggplant calzone!

I'd like to think that real-life Big Stein was even more insane in his prime than Larry David's version.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't even remember the context of the clip but I can't stop laughing at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJnE-uiJvo

This was a weird show growing up because pretty much 100% of any names dropped were people I had never heard of. There's a lot of stuff that's much funnier when I rewatch it.

That's the episode where he was trying to avoid his girlfriend so she couldn't break up with him. Then Kramer ends up doing it for her at some fancy restaurant.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

hall n oates mom posted:

'The Susie' - Another favorite. To anyone who doesn't watch too closely; the death of an imaginary person created by Elaine is a heavy load to bear in exactly the same way as Susan's death was to George. She closes out the episode with a spinning dolly shot and an anguished scream of "SUUUUUSE", just like George did the same with "KHAAAAAAN" in 'The Foundation'.

"Not only that, but I broke his thumbs!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bobfromsales posted:

My two favorite Episodes are by far The Pen and The Cheever Letters. Both of those episodes put the cast into a world that's so completely insane they make them look normal. In both stories the people involved are in worlds so isolated they don't even realize that the way they act is abnormal. Which is what Larry David's point was in the finale anyway, except this time about the main characters.

"When you come in the house, you wipe your wheels!!"

Kills me, every time.

"Who's John?! Who's John?!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

What about after George finds out Susan's parents are starting a foundation in her name based on what Jerry said during the funeral (which he just ripped off from Wrath of Khan).

"That's it...." *squirts mustard into Jerry's coffee and stirs it* "...that's the line that ruined my life."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

And then he gets beat up because he didn't give the scholarship to the kid who then joins the Van Buren Boys.

Edit: Nd speaking of watching it with parents...I was watching the one where Jerry tries to do the roommate switch, and George comes up with the menage a trois. I had to ask my parents what that was cause I was too young to know yet.

Haha but first he tries to take Mrs. Seinfeld's purse and fails miserably.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Watching this on Youtube now, man, Jason Alexander is just so on top of that character all the time. I love when he talks about George in the third person.

Edit: He's so loving intense, I love it.

"Before we go any further, I just want to point out how disturbing it is that you equate biting into a large block of cheese with some kind of bachelor paradise."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

"For I am Constanza...Lord of the Idiots."

"You're all winners!"

"...However, a new contender emerges."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Parachute posted:

"I'm the exterminator"

"That's... what we used to call him in high school, the exterminator. He's a linebacker. Oh, did we have some wild times."

"Hey, Sugar Ray Leonard can eat here for free anytime!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

safety dan posted:

Before Seinfeld, muffin tops weren't a thing. I could go buy a muffin top at Atlanta Bread Company right now. That's lasting impact. I'll tell you right now the ABC doesn't make them the "right" way, but I hear it's prohibitively difficult to get rid of the stumps.

They need to hire a cleaner.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

I loved Jerry's explanation of why it showed up at the end of his "Cry, Cry Again" bootleg. "So you cry, and when you see the dancer, you cry again."

When it comes to celebrity appearances, I always liked a then-relatively unknown Brian Posehn's 2-line appearance as another member of the disease actor troop from Kramer and Mickey's gonorrhea storyline.

"The surgeon left a sponge in me." :smith:

Reading the script for that episode, I forgot just how many great lines there are. It may be one of my favorite episodes.

George: I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip.

Not like those rock musicians with their complicated shoes!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

"Oh by the way I'm not getting married tell mom bye"

*rips phone cord out of wall*

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

*Newman reveals blown up photograph of the large black man from the photo shop, half nude*

George: "OH MY GOD!"

By far, my favorite of George's "oh my gods"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I like how terrifying Elaine's father was at the restaurant in "The Jacket". The part where George comes up with a really lovely lie to try and get out of dinner and Jerry goes "Oh yeah, that'd work....he'd clunk our heads together like Moe."

edit: Haha here's the exchange:

JERRY: How are we going to get out of it?
GEORGE: We'll say we're frightened and we have to go home.
JERRY: Yeah, that's good. He'd clunk our heads together like Moe.
GEORGE: I don't know. Just start scratching. Tell him you have the crabs. He was in the military. He'll understand that.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 1, 2010

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Cheeseball IV posted:

It must be comforting to know you'll be going straight to hell at no more than three miles an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_xmQhe-Fg

"Mr. Tomasulu picked the wrong man to fire because he was fake handicapped!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

explosivo posted:

Any time someone mentions somebody named Tony I think of Seinfeld.

Hunky To-nay!

Just step off George!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on? You haven't even been to see the doctor. If your gonna put a balm on, let a doctor put a balm on.

This is the most public yet of my many humiliations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ChickenMedium posted:

Yeah, there were a poo poo ton of Jerry's stand-up comic buddies that guest-starred on Seinfeld.

Larry Miller (doorman) was also on a bunch of Law & Order episodes.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

"AND THEN HE JUMPS OUT OF THE AIRPLANE AND AS HE'S FALLING HE'S SHOOTING BACK AT IT!!!!"

Just don't talk about it around George's dad...HE LIKES TO GO IN FRESH.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

NeuroticErotica posted:

Perfect.

"THIS IS A CARTOON!"

"You've lost a lot of hair."

"That's what they tell me!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

I gotta say that I found those books (think they were the Letters from a Nut series) far inferior to the similar Idiot Letters books, particularly the first one.

The best Idiot Letter is the one he wrote to Exxon-Mobil regarding their ad featuring a giant eagle. "WHAT IF IT GETS LOOSE?!!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The episode where Jerry goes and heckles Toby in her office (causing her to lose her pinkie toe) is so goddamned good, not just because of Kramer's retelling of the bus story, but also when Jerry is talking to the prop comic. The exchange goes something like this:

quote:

JERRY: So, I went down to the magazine, I pleaded with him to come and see me again, finally he agreed to come down tonight, and he's going to write another article.

RONNIE: I heard you went down to somebody's office and heckled them?

JERRY: drat right! We've been lapdogs long enough!

RONNIE: How could you do that? I mean, everybody's talking about it.

JERRY: Well, it's about time one of us drew a line in the sand.

RONNIE: Jerry, you're like Rosa Parks. You opened the door for all of us. I can't wait till the next time someone heckles me.

JERRY: Yeah, well, won't be long.

The fact that he says "Yeah, well, won't be long" directly to the guy's face, loud enough to be heard cracks me up every time I hear it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

"Not only that, but I broke his thumbs too!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bobfromsales posted:

Because you know that Larry David's life is constantly spent thinking of excuses to get out of situations.

See, I don't think there IS any thinking. Its whatever pops into his brain first. "Uhhhhh......Soda! Need soda! See ya later!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me of Susan asking Elaine if she and George are having an affair and Elaine just bursts out laughing and won't stop for ages.

I wonder who punches harder: Susan or Marisa Tomei.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Monsignor Martinez posted:

I enjoy how nothing about that job was ever explained the entire episode, just like when Kramer took on an office job and packed his briefcase with crackers.

"It's almost as if you have no formal business training whatsoever."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Karl Rove posted:

KKKramer .gifs

"Can we get ice cream after? Please? PLEASEEEEEEE?!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

stratdax posted:

My theory as to why Kramer is well-off is because he's a trust fund baby. That would also explain why he's so eccentric.

My buddy thinks that one of Kramer's crazy inventions paid off big time at some point before the show started.

The periscope for your car would've made him billions alone I bet.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

How about his speech on Little Jerry?

"Yah, yah! You see in Little Jerry Seinfeld the unlimited future you once had. Now, just because Jerry Seinfeld is a has-been, don't make Little Jerry Seinfeld a never-was!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

"Kramer, you can't live down here. This is where people come to die!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ProfessorGroove posted:

Of all the side characters Jackie Chiles Has to be my favorite. The funniest one though is when he's suing the tobacco company because Kramer aged 50 years in a few days, the greatest of Jackie's public humiliations.

I remember when they had the clip show episode and they showed the filming of the scene where Kramer's face is all hosed up because of the tobacco smoke. I wonder how many takes it took for Jerry to say "your face looks like an old catcher's mitt" without cracking up. They showed him doing it at least 4 times.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Also, the outtakes of Elaine trying to get through her scene with George's father in the police station.

"I could drop you like a bag of dirt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

edit: gently caress, beaten.

OK then, FIRESTORM.

Remember when they had the helicopter land on top of that car...