Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Watching this on Youtube now, man, Jason Alexander is just so on top of that character all the time. I love when he talks about George in the third person.

Edit: He's so loving intense, I love it.

haljordan posted:

"Before we go any further, I just want to point out how disturbing it is that you equate biting into a large block of cheese with some kind of bachelor paradise."

George: (inhales deeply) I tell you, Jerry, I'm feeling something. Something I haven't felt in a long time.

Jerry: Pride?

George: No. Autonomy, complete and total autonomy.

Jerry: Well, you're your own boss now.

George: I wanna go to a tractor pull.

Jerry: Go ahead.

George: I am staying out all night!

Jerry: Who's stopping you?

George: I wanna bite into a big hunk of cheese, just bite into it like it's an apple.

Jerry: ...Whatever.

One of my favorite/random lines was, "Whoa, that's a lot of potatoes!" Am I forgetting the episode where they explain the potato man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFZIj96LwY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

AKA Driver posted:

This episode fires on all cylinders for me. Kramer driving past E, Jerry dealing with Elaine and Puddy (Hey, Koko. That monkey's alright. High Five,), and the candy lineup.

It really is a great episode and I love how in his description to Puddy, George includes that the guy is a liar. And everything else is funny too.

JERRY: (Threatening tone) So, listen, Puddy. When we first started this deal, I thought things were gonna be different. Now, if you want to play hard ball, I got my friend, George, here, and he can play pretty hard.. ball. George, vein it up.

GEORGE: Alright, Puddy, listen, and listen good: I need to know the name of that mechanic that walks around here. Big guy, a liar. Short name. Sam? Moe? Sol?!

JERRY: George! Can we focus on the car, here?

JERRY: (Pleading) George, could you help me, please?

GEORGE: (Standing up) Yes. This is wrong!

JERRY: Sing it, sister!

GEORGE: Just because a candy bar fails to fall from its perch..!

JERRY: Uhhh..

GEORGE: ..does not imply transfer of ownership. Moe, Sol, or… Lem is not gonna get away with this!

Also, his solution:

GEORGE: All I want is my seventy-five cents back, an apology, and for him to be fired!

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

kaworu posted:

One thing I can't help but notice in all these clips is the laugh track, it's just so unbelievable awful. It's honestly shocking how used to those I was on basically every single comedy show in the '90s, while now they are (blessedly) very rare. Really distracting when it almost overwhelms the dialogue to the point where you can barely hear it.

I think there is a lot more genuine laughter than laugh track. On the "Seinfeld: Extras" thing they talked about how they set up bleachers outside during "The Parking Space" to get genuine audience reaction. I'm also reminded of Baba Booey saying he was in the audience for "The Junior Mint" but I don't think he commented on a laugh track. Obviously it's there sometimes, but not to the point that it bothers me.

Somewhat related: If anyone can find the clip where George is trying to get a death certificate at the funeral in "The Implant," it's the most clear version of Jerry laughing behind the camera I have ever heard. Here's the dialog so if that episode comes on, listen for it.

FATHER JESSUP: This is my third wake this month. It never gets any easier.

GEORGE (loading up his plate with sandwiches): Well, losing a loved is, uh...I mean, forget about it. <Starts wolfing down the sandwiches.>

FATHER JESSUP: You seem to be of great comfort to Betsy, we're very appreciative.

GEORGE: Oh - comfort, schmomfort. Listen, Father, can I ask you a question? In a terrible time like this...who would I get the death certificate from?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Ok, let's debate it here. Who was right in "The Parking Space?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0v42Gz5EH4

Debate for George: He was parallel parking.
Debate for Mike: George was taking too long, and Mike started parking first.

Here's the conversation:

quote:

Elaine (pointing backwards): Oh George, there's a space right there!

George (putting the car in reverse): Oh beautiful! Look at that, the dream
space right in front of Jerry's building. Huh? Dreams can come true, what did
I tell you?

Elaine: You didn't even have to take it out to dinner.

They share a laugh.

George: Alright, now you're gonna see some parallel parking. (spitting into
his hands and rubbing them together) How I wish you could make a living
parallel parking. (turning around in his seat) It's all geometry, knowing all
the angles, when to make that first turn and then when to swing it back in,
that's the key.

Elaine: Will you just park it already?

George: There's nothing I can even impart to you, that's the sad thing. It's
so inborn, I can't pass it on. (begins backing into the space) Look at this
guy. Are you crazy, what are you doing?! Hey! Hey, you're stealing my space!

Elaine: George, wait, you don't know who this guy is, people kill for a parking
space in this city.

George: No no no, he's not getting away with this.

Elaine: George?

George gets out of the car to confront the other driver.

George: Hey, what are you doing?

Mike: I think I'm parking my car.

George: You can't do that, you can't just sneak in from the back like that.

Mike: I'm not sneaking. I didn't even know you were parking, you were just
sitting there three spaces up.

George: Well if you didn't think I was parking, why did you put it in head
first?

Mike: Well that's the way I park. Anyway, you didn't start backing in until I
pulled in.

George: I was in the middle of a conversation.

My problem is that the space is huge, and parallel parking isn't even necessary. Elaine is the one who notices the spot, so in my mind George would have missed it anyway. George gives a little speech before he pulls into the spot so he's taking longer than necessary. Now, if the other guy came up on George, fully aware that George was backing up, then I side with George. Larry says George is right but going from what he said earlier, I think he only says that to cause further debate. I dunno, what do you guys think?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

neoboman posted:

I would say the backwards episode is up there (or down there).

That episode had one of my favorite George/Jerry moments.

GEORGE: Not me! Him! His fault! He betrayed me!
JERRY: (Pleading) George, I'm sorry..
GEORGE: You can stuff your sorries in a sack, Mister!
JERRY: I don't know what that means.

Also, when George is pissed and walks up to Jerry during the flight.

GEORGE: Hello, friend. Enjoying the flight?

JERRY: Coach to India - The only way to go.

GEORGE: Good one. Very funny. You're very funny, Jerry. That's what I always tell people. (Yelling out) Jerry Seinfeld's a funny guy!

JERRY: You all right?

GEORGE: Of course I'm all right. I'm here with my girl. Nina. And what better way to pass the time than gabbing with my best friend.. with whom there are no secrets. (Flashes two intertwined fingers) Like this. Since the fourth grade.

JERRY: Hey, didn't I beat you up in the fourth grade?

GEORGE: Funny guy! (Points to Jerry) Right here!

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Stuntman Mike posted:

The Serenity Now episode is on now. Beyond that bit, I'd forgotten all about Jerry's subplot.

"What's this salty discharge?"

"You're...crying."

"I...I care?! This is horrible!"

I love what makes Jerry snap out of it.

George: So, that's it. All of my darkest fears, and everything I'm capable of. That's me.
Jerry: Yikes. Well, good luck with aaaall that.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

And with Brad's help we'll get that chicken!

I think his name was Darren, right? It's a great line regardless.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

hrpff posted:

I always enjoy when they make fun of Jerry's routine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZF1SJW7JFw

It's been posted a couple time but this is probably my favorite Seinfeld scene ever and it has George and Jerry busting balls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YoliGLJT2Y

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Stuntman Mike posted:

Fair enough, but I have heard that the guy's a jerk in real life. Maybe for him it comes with the territory of being extremely rich.

Where did you hear that? Do you have any examples? I'm sure everyone has heard that some random celebrity is a jerk. I'm not saying you're wrong, unless you just heard it from a friend.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
The only heartfelt ending I can remember was at the end of "The Trip II." Kramer says he staying in L.A. and it's a bummer but then at the end he walks into Jerry's apartment and Jerry lights up because he's so happy to have him back.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Kevyn posted:

Do? Hey, I'm doing what I do. You know, I've always done what I do. I'm doing what I do the way I've always done it and the way I'll always do it.

Kramer, what the hell are you talking about?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Tiny Fistpump posted:

"This guy...this is not my kinda guy"

If we're focusing on single lines that one has to be in my top 5

Don't think I've seen a youtube of that posted yet. It really is one of the top 5 lines ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inANd0iiY-s#t=2m43s

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Pretty hot under these lights, eh Seinfeld?

Actually I'm quite comfortable.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
George: It's like going to the bathroom in front of a lot of people and not caring.
Jerry: ...It's not like that at all.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Hi, Mr. Pitt! Is Elaine there?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Can anyone find me the clip where Elaine walks in with her comic of a Pig at a Complaint Department? Where Jerry and Kramer give their own ideas. I can't seem to find it on youtube.

My girlfriend tells the worst jokes and I'm always reminded of Jerry saying, "I get it" and she shoots back with, "DO YOU?!"

Edit- Nevermind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-h3spBAgI

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Since everyone in this thread shares my taste in humor, I was hoping it might bleed over into film. Is, "The English Patient" actually any good? I've always avoided watching it based on the fact that Elaine hates it. Now I want to watch it for that same reason to see if I agree. Who was right about the movie in that episode?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Todd GACK

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Her father would look at me and say, "Eno enoa juang," which means, "This guy...this is not my kind of guy."

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
JERRY: So eventually these people came and, somebody, gave him mouth-to-mouth.

ELAINE: He could have died

JERRY: Yeah, it was a gamble.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Yeah, yeah. Well, I guess I started losing it when I was about twenty-eight...right around the time I made my FIRST million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Great. Uh, you know what? Why don't you put it in the car so I don't toss it in that dumpster?