Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
When I watched the show in its first run, I didn't pick up on it (either because it was week-to-week or my undeveloped teenage mind), but when I marathoned some episodes on DVD I realized I never noticed how much subtle continuity some of the older seasons had. Jerry calling George "Biff" (Loman) for a few episodes stands out in my mind, and there are other examples of them referring to events in a previous episode that I can't remember right now.

Another subtle gag I didn't pick up on until years later: In the episode where George goes to that family's apartment to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's to cheat in his book club and spills grape juice on their sofa, and Poppy pees on Jerry's couch. Elaine asks Jerry what he's going to do with the couch and Jerry says something like "Oh, George is taking it, he said he'll just flip the cushion over". I just always thought this was George being cheap -- it only hit me later that it was implied that he was going to replace that family's juice-stained couch with the pee-stained one.

Hell, I didn't notice until several repeat viewings later that the whole Kramer/Poppy pizza argument ("It's not a pizza until it comes out of the oven!"/"It's a pizza the minute you put your fists in the dough!") was an allegory for the abortion debate that was in that same episode.

From writing this post, apparently I was incredibly unobservant :doh: But that's what made Seinfeld great -- every episode had so many layers. Few sitcoms have pulled that off since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

reflir posted:

After all these years I still haven't figured out what rhymes with Dolores.

Clitoris, but only if you put the emphasis on the wrong syllable.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

explosivo posted:

I never caught this before, but in the episode "The Wizard" during the montage of Kramer campaigning the newspapers that fly on the screen mention L.D.

Haha, and the text of the article is just the "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" filler text. That's great.

Ah, the creative shortcuts that shows could take before HD came along.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Crw85HvIFs
"Geroge" the dramatic movie trailer.

It's funny how great it works out of context.

I wish they had called this "movie" "The Summer of George", because I can totally see that working as a title for that kind of sappy, feel-good, man-goes-through-life-altering-experience vibe that the trailer has. A big missed opportunity.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Dan a man posted:

I'm watching a rerun on TBS and I just realized that Mariska Hargitay from L&O SVU plays the woman who is trying out for Elaine's part and annoys George. How did I never notice that before?

What??

poo poo, I have to go watch that again now. I never noticed it either... but I don't think I've seen that episode since I started watching SVU seriously. For some reason I always seem to miss it when it's on the rerun rotation.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

mints posted:

I think it's supposed to be the same guy though, isn't he wearing a Jiffy Park shirt in both occasions?

hall n oates mom posted:

It is the same guy, I wasn't implying that either of them were recast. Simply changed jobs for a quick, precise gag.

This episode was just on MyNetworkTV and I noticed that since it's the same guy, there's a sign in the background indicating that he works at "Jiffy Dump" :v:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Oh, you hung up on my Nana? You told Nana to drop dead?!

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

the aftermath posted:

The "downtown" project that George had to complete was also never explained. Kind of drives me nuts.

Wasn't it "explained" in the sense that Wilhelm had forgotten to take his medication, so the project may have never really existed at all and it was just something he made up?

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of minor characters, who was that guy that was in a ton of episodes, usually as a background character. He was fairly tall, british accent, late 40's/early 50's, reddish blonde hair. I assume he was some crew member of the show that offered his services on-screen at times, but he's probably in the most episodes outside of the mains and LD.

It sounds like you're talking about Norman Brenner.

IIRC, they said on the DVD extras or commentaries somewhere that he was Michael Richards' stand-in on the show, and so he frequently showed up whenever they needed an extra.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Listen, Jerry doesn't wanna talk to you.

Nobody wants to talk to you, so why don't you just ... drop dead!

You told Nana to drop dead?!

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

hrpff posted:

I was bald.

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize what that was supposed to be until I saw the image name. They're making a Fairly OddParents live action movie, with Jason Alexander and Cheryl Hines?? :aaa:

I love that Jason is wearing a George plaid shirt there too.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Thenipwax posted:

How does Cheryl Hines just get hotter and hotter? She wouldn't even get a second look from me if she still looked like Season 1 of Curb, but now she's just getting better and better looking (much like Julia Louis Dreyfuss).

Part of Julia Louis-Dreyfus's problem in the early part of Seinfeld was those awful dresses they had her wearing, and with the longer curlier hair it made her look a little odd. Once they modernized her wardrobe it was a big change -- but of course she's aged incredibly well too, cuz she still looks hot today.

Jerry's wardrobe wasn't a whole lot better, in some of those early episodes where he was wearing a pink undershirt with a bright purple dress shirt over it :gonk:

At least Kramer's retro shirts were timeless.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Capt. Sticl posted:

Kramer discussing money scams are fantastic.

That one's good, and I love the similar scene from "The Package":

JERRY: So we're going to make the post office pay for my new stereo?

KRAMER: It's just a write-off for them.

JERRY: How is it a write-off?

KRAMER: They just write it off.

JERRY: Write it off what?

KRAMER: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.

JERRY: You don't even know what a write-off is.

KRAMER: Do you?

JERRY: No, I don't.

KRAMER: But they do and they're the ones writing it off!

Flobbster fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 7, 2010

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Evil Agita posted:

Someone make this game, text only is fine.

> inventory
You pull your wallet -- an organizer, a secretary, and a friend -- out of your back pocket. It contains:
* Money, both American and Irish
* A card good for a free 'Save the Tiger' poster at any Orlando-area Exxon
* A packet of Sweet & Low
* A receipt for a vibrating recliner
* A piece of hard candy
[50 other items could not be displayed. Press Space to view them or Esc to cancel.]

> take guitar lesson stub
You gently tear the phone number offering free guitar lessons from the flyer and squeeze it into your wallet.

> put away wallet
You place the wallet back in your back pocket and sit down.

*crunch*

You have lost the piece of hard candy.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's not right at all. The crunch happened just after he was displaying the wallet at the diner, and after he took the free guitar lesson stub the wallet exploded, causing him to lose, among other things, the receipt for the chair.

It's an interactive text adventure, I can do things in whatever order I want! :argh:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Chicolini posted:

Are those Charles Nelson Reilly glasses still popular with old retired men or does Larry David just love them? Because he has Shelly Berman playing his dad wearing the same exact ones on Curb, too:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

This Monday, a huge tragedy befell southwest Virginia.

My local MyNetworkTV subchannel used to air an hour of Seinfeld from 6-7 every weekday evening. But I turned on the TV a few days ago and how did they decide to ring in the new fall season? By replacing it with an hour of Tyler Perry's House of Payne :gonk:

Despite my custom title, that's like replacing filet mignon with a steaming pile of shallow and predictable feces.

9/13/2010 NEVER FORGET :911:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Nah, the kid offered up that he wanted to be a city planner, then he and Wink(I know it's not 'Wink') ripped on architects in front of George.

The dumbest guy in my fraternity became an architect!

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can someone help me remember the start of this quote? I want to say one of Jerry's girlfriends asked him if he ever did XYZ, or wanted to do it, and he responds:

"No...because it's so stupid."

I just love his simple and dead-sure-of-himself delivery, but I can't remember what is so stupid.

Jerry: "I can't believe we're going dancing."
Girlfriend: "You don't go that often?"
Jerry: "No, because it's so stupid."

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Well, George did make (and subsequently lose) millions from an iPhone app. And Jerry has a healthy hatred for "the Blackberry people."

When I was watching that season of Curb and got to the last few episodes, the iPhone references gave me such an awkward anachronistic feeling. I guess that's expected when we haven't been able to see the characters evolve in the interim, and Seinfeld wasn't a show that usually had the latest technology of the day play a major role in the plot of an episode. (But I could be forgetting a couple.)

I would kill for George's app though, no lie.

Here's something we can all argue about : Are the new Seinfeld scenes in Curb to be considered part of Seinfeld canon?

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

Bobfromsales posted:

Sienfeld was always a product of it's time. Current events and pop culture were a constant source of stories and jokes. Get the DVDs and turn on the Notes about Nothing to realize just how often those kind of things actually come up.

Yes, current events and pop culture were obviously a big deal, but what I was referring to was technology in particular. I'm having trouble remembering times when the "latest hot gadget" was the plot point in an episode. My memory could be clouded by the passing years, but it's not like the Wizard personal organizer or the label maker were the thing to own when a plot centered around them.

Then again, watching the show over a decade later means I wouldn't recognize the references as new for the time it was filmed.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

The only thing that didn't work for me completely was Amanda. Cheryl's actress actually would have actually been perfect for the role, because although she's beautiful, she's got an unconventional look to her that fits with the cast of the show. The replacement girl just looked too much like a supermodel. George was rich enough at the time, I guess, that he could date upward.

Have you seen the show Seinfeld? :colbert: I tease, but we're talking about a guy who went out on a date with Marisa Tomei, and could have had a second date if it hadn't been for that whole pesky "being engaged" thing.

But yes, Cheryl Hines is way hotter than the actress who ended up playing George's ex-wife anyway.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

One percent? You can kiss one percent of my rear end!

I love the scenes in "The Serenity Now" where Frank runs his computer sales contest just like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross, something that went completely over my head when I saw the original airing as a teenager.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't forget Flaming Globes of Zigmund, and the lawyer with a cape.

And one of the Greenpeace guys on the raft with the head of NBC.

vv Watching that clip, I never noticed it before: as the Greenpeace guy, is Larry supposed to be doing a terrible Scottish accent?

Flobbster fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

It's a Twix! They're ALL Twix! It was a setup! A setup, I tell ya, and you've robbed it! You've all SCREWED ME AGAIN!

TWIIIIIIIIIIIIX!!!