Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Well it's *best* to take a rider's training course like the MSF or, since you're near Portland, Team Oregon.

But yeah you really shouldn't take to the open road without getting some practice in, but rider's training will be incredibly helpful.

And grats on the Stella, these things are super fuckin' fun. Register over at https://www.stellaspeed.com and familiarize yourself with the maintenance/tuning FAQs, because you'll probably need them.

Thanks! Yeah, I actually signed up with stellaspeed yesterday once my wife and I decided that it was a definite go on the Stella. We're both signing up for the MSF, but looks like I'll need to call to find out what the deal is because their site isn't listing any classes upcoming in Oregon. After looking, I also had no idea that they had a specific scooter course, that's pretty awesome. Never heard of Team Oregon, but we'll check their classes out too.

Last time I rode a scooter was back when I was about 14 (30 now), and it was an automatic, so I'm looking forward to learning and having some fun weekend trips.

edit: Just noticed your edit. The $4550 one has: 177cc Pinasco top-end kit, 24mm Dellorto carburetor, Mazzi crankshaft, Cosa banded clutch, SIP wide tire kit, JL performance pipe, custom porting, 35-watt Halogen light upgrade kit, the front chrome luggage rack, and an Ancilotti style seat. I have no idea on the exhaust on the '06 yet. The shop I'm getting it from just received it the same day so they didn't have a chance to get a fact sheet printed out for it, and I didn't think at the time to ask. I was just too excited at the prospect of taking it home.

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CubanRefugee posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I actually signed up with stellaspeed yesterday once my wife and I decided that it was a definite go on the Stella. We're both signing up for the MSF, but looks like I'll need to call to find out what the deal is because their site isn't listing any classes upcoming in Oregon. After looking, I also had no idea that they had a specific scooter course, that's pretty awesome. Never heard of Team Oregon, but we'll check their classes out too.

Last time I rode a scooter was back when I was about 14 (30 now), and it was an automatic, so I'm looking forward to learning and having some fun weekend trips.

edit: Just noticed your edit. The $4550 one has: 177cc Pinasco top-end kit, 24mm Dellorto carburetor, Mazzi crankshaft, Cosa banded clutch, SIP wide tire kit, JL performance pipe, custom porting, 35-watt Halogen light upgrade kit. I have no idea on the exhaust on the '06 yet. The shop I'm getting it from just received it the same day so they didn't have a chance to get a fact sheet printed out for it, and I didn't think at the time to ask. I was just too excited at the prospect of taking it home.

Some states just run their own stuff instead of MSF, and I think Oregon is one of them. From what I've heard a lot of the state-run curricula are better than the MSF's, including Team Oregon and Idaho STAR.

I'm not sure what MSF does for their scooter program, but on a Stella I'd skip it in favor of the basic rider training anyway. I imagine a lot of what's cut out for the scooter program is clutching and shifting, which you need on the Stella.

e: just noticed your e:, lol. So you're buying from P Town Scooters? I just checked their site and the $4550 bike matches. Nice little shop, I've been in a couple times. You're in a great city for scootering, Portland has a big, active community. I haven't made it to a rally there, but someday. Whatever exhaust is on your Stella-to-be (probably a Sito+), ask if it has the stock air filter or not. If you look on StellaSpeed for discussion of "de-blueing" (or P200 air filter) and "Bald John jetting," I'd suggest doing those if they haven't been done already. Cheap, easy, and good power to be had, especially in conjunction with exhaust.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 24, 2010

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Picked up my Stella today and oh lord is it awesome. It's actually an '04 and it does indeed have a Sito+. Not sure on the air filter, but I'll have to check that out soon.

Here's a few pictures:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Mint is my 2nd favorite Stella color, after avocado, good choice.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So why would I want a stella over say a vespa? Also, its an honor to have named this thread.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Senator Woofington posted:

So why would I want a stella over say a vespa? Also, its an honor to have named this thread.

I feel like this requires backstory, even though it probably doesn't.

In the 1980s Vespa was selling scooters like the PX150 and P200 in America and things were bad, so they abandoned the USA. When they came back in the early '00s they were only selling modern scooters, so the last time you could get a shifter scooter was sometime in the '90s or something when Bajaj stopped making the Chetak (itself a Vespa PX150 clone of sorts, but four-stroke).

In the '80s LML in India partnered with Piaggio to build the PX150 for the Indian market; in '99 Piaggio wanted to stop making it so LML bought out their share of the factory and kept going. So in '03 ScooterWorks/Genuine Scooters started importing the LML Star 150 and selling it as the Genuine Stella, and it was the only shifter bike you could buy new. So that's why people bought it.

In '04-'05 Vespa started selling PX150s again, but only for that brief time, and they were expensive compared to the Stellas - and remember, Stellas are made in a Piaggio-built PX150 factory, so they're very very similar.

New PX150s were/are nicer than comparable-year Stellas. Piaggio had higher standards, so stuff like Stella's notorious crank failures didn't happen. They also had nicer details: better seats, higher quality rubber on grommets, better paint.

But, again, expensive in comparison - by more than a grand at the time. So people kept buying Stellas... and then Vespa stopped the PX150 again and now Stella's the only option.

If you're on the used market, your options for a PX150-type bike are this: Stellas, '05 PX150s, and '80s PX150s (and 200s).

'05 PX150s will be the nicest of the bunch, but if you manage to find one for sale it'll be big money because now people think they're collector's items. You'll pay a lot for the "historical significance" and the luxury of better paint, seats, speedometer, etc.

Stellas will be really easy to find and not expensive and potentially low-mileage and are still nice. For a couple years they were notorious for cranks failing, but that got fixed and things are groovy now, mostly... new bikes suffer build-quality issues like failing speedometer pinion gears and loose bolts, but nothing catastrophic.

'80s Vespas will have all the fun of dealing with a 20-something year old bike and won't be nicer than a later Stella.

So I guess somewhere in there I answered your question, I think. Goddamn this got long.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 27, 2010

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1764659979.html

Whaaaaaat I want one.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Stoic Commie posted:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1764659979.html

Whaaaaaat I want one.

Oh man. I am so tempted to have my mom pick that up for me... she lives super close.

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!
New thread! :toot:

We had the first big ride in Nashville today and of course it started raining on the way home.

drat I love my scooter!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Ampersand-e posted:

drat I love my scooter!

Hell yeah!

Taken Sunday. About 2 minutes before the sky's opened up a torrential rain, and I had to stash the camera/get out the rain poncho on the quick. Let me tell you, riding down a mountain on a beat to poo poo scooter with the rain soaking you through and through, trying to dodge road debris, and navigate hair-pin turns leaves a lot to be desired.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Has anyone tried the new Stellas (The 4T ones)? I'm on the shorter end of the height chart and was curious as to how they held out.

I am taking an MSF course soon, but I'm looking over my options and going to meet dealers/sit on the scooters as well (Also to keep my eyes open if a good vintage or used deal comes along).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I went to a Stella (4T) launch party in California, since this will be first time the Stella will be sold here. I sat on it and then went on a rally with the store owner riding the new Stella. It's nice, but it really is about the same quality as a Bajaj in my opinion, and paying $4k+ out the door for that option is a painful proposition these days, especially when REALLY nice scooters/bikes can be had for next to nothing on the used market. It was very peppy though and apparently has ridiculously (honestly, unbelievably) high mileage.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I picked this thing

up for 81 bucks at a flea market. it's a Honda Lead NH 80 from 83 (known as honda Aero 80 in the US) it's pretty nice.

oh, and it also runs after two days of giving it a full service.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Frobbe posted:

I picked this thing

up for 81 bucks at a flea market. it's a Honda Lead NH 80 from 83 (known as honda Aero 80 in the US) it's pretty nice.

oh, and it also runs after two days of giving it a full service.

gently caress you. I'm so jealous... ugh.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Frobbe posted:

I picked this thing

looks like katamari damacy: the scooter

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

eviljelly posted:

gently caress you. I'm so jealous... ugh.

to alleviate any jealousness i'm gonna say that due to laws around here, it's probably illegal for my to actually drive the drat thing around, as it's bought in germany and i live in Denmark. Right now i am waiting on papers from the PO so i can go ask someone at the motor office about it.

it's a hoot to ride though, it gets my heavy rear end around at 65-70 km/h :)

Edit: when i went through the electrical system (to fix a faulty right blinker) i found a spare 12v lead. said lead was placed rather handily above the "glove" compartment next to the steering column, would it be insanity to mount a 12 outtake on it so i can charge my phone while i ride and do other neat stuff?

is what i want to mount, once i figure out the polarity on it, plus find a way to hook up the appropriate fuses!

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 9, 2010

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

I went to a Stella (4T) launch party in California, since this will be first time the Stella will be sold here. I sat on it and then went on a rally with the store owner riding the new Stella. It's nice, but it really is about the same quality as a Bajaj in my opinion, and paying $4k+ out the door for that option is a painful proposition these days, especially when REALLY nice scooters/bikes can be had for next to nothing on the used market. It was very peppy though and apparently has ridiculously (honestly, unbelievably) high mileage.

Oh thanks! I've been trying to talk to local dealers and sit on scooters before I take my MSF so I know which bikes and/or scooters I can potentially ride on without tipping over when I stop. The Buddy and Stella do look really nice.

(As does that neat red Honda just above).

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Aerofallosov posted:

Has anyone tried the new Stellas (The 4T ones)? I'm on the shorter end of the height chart and was curious as to how they held out.

I am taking an MSF course soon, but I'm looking over my options and going to meet dealers/sit on the scooters as well (Also to keep my eyes open if a good vintage or used deal comes along).

How short are you? I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam (probably 29 if I were honest with myself), and I cannot flatfoot my Stella. It's pretty tall. At stops I tilt to the left and hold it up with my left leg, keeping it stopped with my right foot on the brake.

There are lots of aftermarket seats that'll shorten it a bit (most around $100-130) and be more comfortable, and probably aftermarket suspension that'll also be better and shorter ($80-300?).

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Aerofallosov posted:

Oh thanks! I've been trying to talk to local dealers and sit on scooters before I take my MSF so I know which bikes and/or scooters I can potentially ride on without tipping over when I stop. The Buddy and Stella do look really nice.

(As does that neat red Honda just above).

Are you taking a scooter only course? The honda rebels or other cruisers that the courses have are usually pretty short. The seat height looks a lot shorter than most scooters.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I am 4'11". I was expecting to have a harder time with the vespa, but I was only about 3-4 inches short or so in regular shoes with the kickstand up. Either the Vespa is little or I have a weirdly long inseam.

And nah, they have motorcycles/scooters both at the course. I don't mind investing in some aftermarket work, either (It struck me as silly to go crazy with things, but it also seems unwise to skimp needlessly). I am also lucky to be close to the Austin area and there's a few good shops around here I can check in on.

Thank you for the advice, and huh! I didn't know you could do that to the suspension. That'll be good to know too.

Hadra
Dec 20, 2004
OWW.... logic hurts.
I bought a Beluga!

1986 Yamaha Beluga CV80 (known as the Riva in the US)

Click here for the full 2016x1344 image.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Aerofallosov posted:

I am 4'11". I was expecting to have a harder time with the vespa, but I was only about 3-4 inches short or so in regular shoes with the kickstand up. Either the Vespa is little or I have a weirdly long inseam.

And nah, they have motorcycles/scooters both at the course. I don't mind investing in some aftermarket work, either (It struck me as silly to go crazy with things, but it also seems unwise to skimp needlessly). I am also lucky to be close to the Austin area and there's a few good shops around here I can check in on.

Thank you for the advice, and huh! I didn't know you could do that to the suspension. That'll be good to know too.

You should buy a Vespa smallframe! Like a Primavera 125. They are little and awesome and can be very fast. If you're down for buying vintage and all the tinkering that'll come with it, that is.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Fixed the last bits on the Honda Lead today (new bolts on the carb, the old thread had been stripped completely)

what really amazed me is how a 27 year old scooter has only done 3770 kilometers.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Of all the different kinds of people that ride, one group in particular never wave back at me on the road. Hardcore Harley 1% riders with vests and chaps? Nope. Squids on brand new CB1000RR's with shorts and flip flops? Nope. 70 year old grandpas on Goldwings? Nope.

It's these drat scooter riders. Not a single one waves back to me. I don't know if they're just plain dumb newbs, if they think I'm mocking them, or if they're just retardedly elite. I ride a clapped out 1994 CBR painted flat black, so it's not like I look particularly high and mighty.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Of all the different kinds of people that ride, one group in particular never wave back at me on the road. Hardcore Harley 1% riders with vests and chaps? Nope. Squids on brand new CB1000RR's with shorts and flip flops? Nope. 70 year old grandpas on Goldwings? Nope.

It's these drat scooter riders. Not a single one waves back to me. I don't know if they're just plain dumb newbs, if they think I'm mocking them, or if they're just retardedly elite. I ride a clapped out 1994 CBR painted flat black, so it's not like I look particularly high and mighty.

I think surprisingly little of the scooter and motorcycle crowd overlap. Of my two buddies that ride scooters, they are hilariously oblivious to the ways of the motorcycle world (as I would imagine most motorcyclists are to the scooter world). They actually asked me why people on bikes were waving at them, or more accurately "pointing at the ground". They also dont get why motorcyclists sometimes ride one-handed, since they spend all their time frequently starting and stopping on twitchy scooters.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phat_Albert posted:

I think surprisingly little of the scooter and motorcycle crowd overlap. Of my two buddies that ride scooters, they are hilariously oblivious to the ways of the motorcycle world (as I would imagine most motorcyclists are to the scooter world). They actually asked me why people on bikes were waving at them, or more accurately "pointing at the ground". They also dont get why motorcyclists sometimes ride one-handed, since they spend all their time frequently starting and stopping on twitchy scooters.

Yep. As a member of a scooter club I can confirm that very few scooterists also ride motorcycles, the exception being vintage Vespa riders (who often also ride vintage Triumphs and the like).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Use the newb wave for scooters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloT-TahbiQ#t=0m45s
:haw:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

There seems to be a big "waving" culture for motorcyclists, but not for scooterists/mopedders. I don't know what the deal is, exactly.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Wow, I never even thought about the fact that at my height I might not be able to ride certain scooters. I only have the Metropolitan right now, and as someone else in this thread noted after I posted a photo of me on it, it looks huge when I'm on it. Guess a Stella will not be in my future!

Z3n posted:

Use the newb wave for scooters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloT-TahbiQ#t=0m45s
:haw:

Oh man, I totally do that. And scooter drivers around here rarely even respond to it.

In other news, I drove to work the other day and then unexpectedly ended up needing to trade vehicles with my boyfriend. This meant that I rode the scooter home wearing my boyfriend's jacket and helmet over a knee-length chiffon dress and heels. It was... cold. And I'm glad I didn't crash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Melicious posted:

In other news, I drove to work the other day and then unexpectedly ended up needing to trade vehicles with my boyfriend. This meant that I rode the scooter home wearing my boyfriend's jacket and helmet over a knee-length chiffon dress and heels. It was... cold. And I'm glad I didn't crash.

This is standard attire for scoot riders in santa barbara. Minus the jacket. :(

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Z3n posted:

This is standard attire for scoot riders in santa barbara. Minus the jacket. :(

Yeah honestly I see a lot of poo poo like that here in Chicago, too. Only we don't have helmet laws, so they usually don't have a helmet either!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

A lot of them are just plain dumb newbs. I'd say at least 40%, maybe more, of the people I see on scooters are clearly new or are clearly riding just because it's cheap transportation, and are either unaware of, or wholly disinterested in, any camaraderie.

People on name-brand scooters, especially classics, generally wave to other scooterists. But there is also definitely a disconnect between scooterists and motorcyclists.

I don't always throw a wave to motorcyclists but I always return a wave, and I almost always wave to scooterists even when they're on Chinese bikes and unlikely to return it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't wave to people on my scooter anymore than I wave to people in my car. What the hell.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I waved to someone on a ruckus today, and he did the snap-and-point thing back. I would like to formally offer this up for use by all scooterists as your Main Wave™

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I tried waving at motorcyclists but they never waved back so I just decided they were all cunts and ignore them now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

I waved to someone on a ruckus today, and he did the snap-and-point thing back. I would like to formally offer this up for use by all scooterists as your Main Wave™

Snap to finger-gun should be the default wave for anything.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

open24hours posted:

I tried waving at motorcyclists but they never waved back so I just decided they were all cunts and ignore them now.

Depends on who you wave to. It happens to other bikers too. I have an old CB750, and the harliest of harley riders tend to just scowl when I wave. Some people are going to be dicks no matter what.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
aw man.

to anyone jealous of my neat scooter purchase, i've now had to sell it (although with a slight profit) due to laws here not making it eligible to be registered as an actual scooter, but instead it has to be titled as a motorcycle. i can't afford that :(

i'm flipping it for around 250 USD, but that's after i spent about a 100 fixing it up and making it road ready. oh well.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Frobbe posted:

aw man.

to anyone jealous of my neat scooter purchase, i've now had to sell it (although with a slight profit) due to laws here not making it eligible to be registered as an actual scooter, but instead it has to be titled as a motorcycle. i can't afford that :(

i'm flipping it for around 250 USD, but that's after i spent about a 100 fixing it up and making it road ready. oh well.

Where do you live and can I buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I live on the danish/german border, most likely far away from anyone in here interested in getting the scooter.

it's technically already sold, too. as a friend has offered to take it off my hands for 250 USD, but he'll have the money at the 1st.