Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I've had a ruckus (zoomer) for a few years and I really couldn't recommend them, not for the current asking price: 2350 when bought a few years go, 2700 now - same as the entry level motorcycle honda sell here (cbf 125 I think). It's just not worth it for a 50cc scooter, and in this case you KNOW you're paying through the nose for a steel frame and a tiny engine, because that's pretty much what the ruckus is.

Even after putting in a polini kit sans air filter I can barely get 35mph out of it on a regular basis. Don't buy one unless the aesthetic is really worth that much or you're determined you're going to be putting it sideways on a regular basis.

That said, someone tell me all about Italjet and put me off tracking down a Dragster/Formula. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

yaay posted:

I've had a ruckus (zoomer) for a few years and I really couldn't recommend them, not for the current asking price: 2350 when bought a few years go, 2700 now - same as the entry level motorcycle honda sell here (cbf 125 I think). It's just not worth it for a 50cc scooter, and in this case you KNOW you're paying through the nose for a steel frame and a tiny engine, because that's pretty much what the ruckus is.

Even after putting in a polini kit sans air filter I can barely get 35mph out of it on a regular basis. Don't buy one unless the aesthetic is really worth that much or you're determined you're going to be putting it sideways on a regular basis.

That said, someone tell me all about Italjet and put me off tracking down a Dragster/Formula. :3:

Only 35mph, really? I rode an '04 Metro for a couple years, which has the same engine, and it consistently did 37-38 unmodified. And apparently they made little changes to that engine (in both the Metro and the Ruck) in '06 that yielded 43mph for most people.

But scooters are literally never a good deal compared to motorcycles. Not ever. You can always get more displacement for your dollar.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Only 35mph, really? I rode an '04 Metro for a couple years, which has the same engine, and it consistently did 37-38 unmodified. And apparently they made little changes to that engine (in both the Metro and the Ruck) in '06 that yielded 43mph for most people.

But scooters are literally never a good deal compared to motorcycles. Not ever. You can always get more displacement for your dollar.

I've read that in the case of the Zoomer, the FI system it uses instead of carburettor is the reason they tend to be slower. The second thing is a surprise to me though; Apart from vespa/lml, I've always held the opposite perspective.

Still, even taking that into account, if prices for the Ruckus are equivalent to what the Zoomer is here, you simply don't get enough for the money to justify the cost.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

So fortunately it's not listed in the OP under the online stores, but I just want to give my thumbs down for scooterloungeonline.com.

I ordered an oil syringe and keychain about a month ago. At first, I wasn't even sure if I placed the order, and thought maybe I just went through the motions but never submitted the order. There was no money charged to me, and no order confirmation via e-mail.

I was about to place an order for the same items (since I thought I never did it), and then I decided to just scour my local shops for the syringe, since the keychain was just a whim, it wasn't necessary.

Well 2 weeks go by, and I get a USPS.com electronic receipt e-mail, not that a package has been shipped, but that they've received *notice* that they'll be receiving a package for me. So it's not even with the postal service yet, they just went online and started the shipping process. That was 2 weeks ago, and there's still been no movement from USPS, and they still haven't even received my package to send it to me.

I've had no luck finding a stupid rear end oil syringe anywhere locally, so I'm just hanging tight for now to see if the order does actually get shipped. I figured NAPA, AutoZone, or Cycle Gear would have something like it since it seems like something they would carry, but the reps at NAPA and AutoZone looked at me like I was crazy. The rep at AutoZone even said, "I've never heard of an oil fill hole being placed vertically, that's crazy."

tl;dr - Don't order from ScooterLoungeonline.com, their service sucks, and they don't ship out your order for weeks.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CubanRefugee posted:

So fortunately it's not listed in the OP under the online stores, but I just want to give my thumbs down for scooterloungeonline.com.

I ordered an oil syringe and keychain about a month ago. At first, I wasn't even sure if I placed the order, and thought maybe I just went through the motions but never submitted the order. There was no money charged to me, and no order confirmation via e-mail.

I was about to place an order for the same items (since I thought I never did it), and then I decided to just scour my local shops for the syringe, since the keychain was just a whim, it wasn't necessary.

Well 2 weeks go by, and I get a USPS.com electronic receipt e-mail, not that a package has been shipped, but that they've received *notice* that they'll be receiving a package for me. So it's not even with the postal service yet, they just went online and started the shipping process. That was 2 weeks ago, and there's still been no movement from USPS, and they still haven't even received my package to send it to me.

I've had no luck finding a stupid rear end oil syringe anywhere locally, so I'm just hanging tight for now to see if the order does actually get shipped. I figured NAPA, AutoZone, or Cycle Gear would have something like it since it seems like something they would carry, but the reps at NAPA and AutoZone looked at me like I was crazy. The rep at AutoZone even said, "I've never heard of an oil fill hole being placed vertically, that's crazy."

tl;dr - Don't order from ScooterLoungeonline.com, their service sucks, and they don't ship out your order for weeks.

Sucks about that website; have you tried calling or anything? Do they even have numbers listed?

How much fluid do you need to move? A lot of Stella people use those restaurant-type refillable ketchup bottles, you can find them at any housewares-type place for $4

yaay posted:

I've read that in the case of the Zoomer, the FI system it uses instead of carburettor is the reason they tend to be slower. The second thing is a surprise to me though; Apart from vespa/lml, I've always held the opposite perspective.

Still, even taking that into account, if prices for the Ruckus are equivalent to what the Zoomer is here, you simply don't get enough for the money to justify the cost.

Both the Ruckus and the Metro here still use carbs, though looking at Honda's website the Ruckus apparently gets a 15mm carb while the Metro gets an 18mm carb. Interesting.

The price gap has also grown a lot between them, with the Ruck now $2499 and the Metro $2049. When my mom bought her Metro in '04, it was ~$1800 MSRP, and the Ruck was only about $200 more. Weird that the price gap grew so much, I guess they're capitalizing on the niche styling/following the Ruck has now.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 12, 2010

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.
So I bought a used 2005 stella about a week ago, and I've been riding it all over the place. Spent about $2k all told after all the taxes and licensing and stuff since I got it at a dealer. It has a sito plus exhaust, brand new tires, bakes, battery and fuel gauge sensor.

The thing runs perfectly. If I pull the choke out about halfway, it will start immediately, and it idles smooth right away, even in the morning. It has plenty of power, even for some of the steeper hills in Seattle. I was riding all over Magnolia (one of the more hilly neighborhoods) the other day and was easily accelerating up all the hills.

I'm sure I'll have some negative things to say about it in the future, but for now, I'm having a lot of fun.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Sucks about that website; have you tried calling or anything? Do they even have numbers listed?

How much fluid do you need to move? A lot of Stella people use those restaurant-type refillable ketchup bottles, you can find them at any housewares-type place for $4

I ended up calling shortly after I posted, and it was some guy who sounded like he was running the place out of his basement. He said, "Oh crap, sorry man, I'll send it out today." He kept avoiding the question of "Why has it taken so long to even process everything?"

So we'll see if the USPS info gets updated today... I'm a bit sketched out by it, so if he/they does come through, I think I'll be changing my debit card number with my bank.

The syringe is just for an oil change in the gearbox. It's not much, if I recall correctly, it's approx 250ml. I've read about condiment bottle trick, and if this whole order doesn't pan out, I'm definitely going that route.

NotJoe posted:

So I bought a used 2005 stella about a week ago, and I've been riding it all over the place.

A whole week?! Make with the pictures already!

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 12, 2010

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

CubanRefugee posted:

I figured NAPA, AutoZone, or Cycle Gear would have something like it since it seems like something they would carry, but the reps at NAPA and AutoZone looked at me like I was crazy. The rep at AutoZone even said, "I've never heard of an oil fill hole being placed vertically, that's crazy."

Walmart has a syringe called the Mix Master/Meister(?) for doing 2-cycle fuel mixes. The side opposite the ratios has mL and oz. markings, plus it includes a small vinyl tube. Used it to do the gear oil on an Aprilia SportCity (fill at the dipstick) and a Kymco Super8 150 (fill from a vertical hole). Worked great on both other than only having a 50mL capacity, so it was a bit tedious on the 250mL capacity Aprilia.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
haha for the gear oil on my buddy i just used a turkey baster

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum
Just fitted a new (old stock) exhaust to my Lambretta today, its a 42mm AF clubman with a Volkswagen pipe welded to the end, and its ridiculously loud. I recorded a video of it but it really doesn't do the noise justice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGm5u9CB54M

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

A friend of mine purchased a 03 Bergman 400 today and didn't feel comfortable riding it back the 70 miles to her house today. My experience is mainly on a KLR 650, but I have to admit I was impressed with the Bergman. It had that familiar single cylinder thump and some nice power in it. I was a little tall for the seating position, but otherwise I had a great ride :D

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Darth Llama posted:

...and didn't feel comfortable riding it back the 70 miles to her house today.
This is something I will never understand.
Not being comfortable riding something 70 miles when you intend on riding it 700 or 7000 miles.

A) Wait until after your training course (or whatever) to pick it up.
B) Ride the 70 miles at a pace you're comfortable with, on a route you're comfortable with. Yes, it will take longer than if you just ask your friend Darth Llama to do it for you, but on the one hand, that's part of the adventure - and on the other, riding it for 2.5 hours at 35 MPH (with breaks) will give you the big chunk of seat time to *get* comfortable with your new purchase in a way that 15x 10 minute trips to the store never will.

Of course, you've got to keep in mind that I'm the guy that flew to DFW to pick up a bike that was definitely *not* in pristine condition (though it had been mechanically gone through pretty thoroughly) and rode it 700+ miles home 14 days after passing the MSF. I may not be the shiniest example to point to.

I like the Burgman line - especially the 650, which will apparently do close to 120 MPH. =)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 14, 2010

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I was looking for a scooter last month, but encountered some unplanned expenses.
I need a hobby so I want to buy something that needs fixing. Im looking at this.
I dont know anything about scooters so any advice would be helpfull. Thanks.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/1841699584.html

Just how much trouble am i getting myself into here...

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 14, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the motor isnt completely blown or something crazy like that, it wont be a big deal to fix. The FA50's are very simple machines, and dead on reliable when they're working right.

It is your standard 50cc Japanese scooter from the 80's, so its going to be reliable, and do about 25mph all day long.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
im gonna go look at it in an hour, anything i should look out for? Best way to unclog a fuel line in one of these?
The seller is a girl that doesnt know too much about mechanical stuff so i hope that this is a steal.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 14, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its probably not the fuel line thats clogged, unless she dumped dirt in the tank or something. Chances are the carb has a little fleck of poo poo in one of the jets, or the plug is fouled or something.

One oddity about them is that you have to be applying the brakes in order to kick start it. I thought the kickstarter was broken on mine when I bought it (but for $20 I couldnt complain).

Really there isnt much to go wrong on them, so just look for signs of obvious abuse, and try to feel her out for the obvious stuff (does she keep the oil tank topped up, etc), and thats about it.

EDIT: Rereading the CL ad, the manual is an ebay reproduction, so dont let her leverage you on that if you try to wheel'n'deal.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 14, 2010

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Jabs posted:

This is something I will never understand.
Not being comfortable riding something 70 miles when you intend on riding it 700 or 7000 miles.

A) Wait until after your training course (or whatever) to pick it up.
B) Ride the 70 miles at a pace you're comfortable with, on a route you're comfortable with. Yes, it will take longer than if you just ask your friend Darth Llama to do it for you, but on the one hand, that's part of the adventure - and on the other, riding it for 2.5 hours at 35 MPH (with breaks) will give you the big chunk of seat time to *get* comfortable with your new purchase in a way that 15x 10 minute trips to the store never will.

Of course, you've got to keep in mind that I'm the guy that flew to DFW to pick up a bike that was definitely *not* in pristine condition (though it had been mechanically gone through pretty thoroughly) and rode it 700+ miles home 14 days after passing the MSF. I may not be the shiniest example to point to.

I like the Burgman line - especially the 650, which will apparently do close to 120 MPH. =)

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I had a long ride as my first ride after buying a Rebel as my first bike. It took about 3 times as long as it normally would, but I got there finally.

But, she asked and I did her a favor. Hell, I got the chance to ride a bike I never would have otherwise.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
My first ride was 70 miles back from the shop in Plymouth down over the bridge onto Cape Cod. It was great. I just bought a scooter. I wanted to ride ride ride and the route was back roads, towns, everything. By the time I got home I felt really confident on it.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

So I've tried asking in the StellaSpeed tuning forums, but apparently they don't like to answer "easy" questions, and only answer things that require huge technical responses. :(

There's a guy in town selling a Polini 177cc Cylinder kit and Spaco 26/26 carb for about $170 total, new in box, for a Stella. Does anyone here have any experience replacing your cylinder/carb, and how difficult is it? (I think) I'm fairly competent when it comes to this kind of crap, but I've never done that kind of an upgrade before. If it's something that there's tons of room for error and fouling all kinds of poo poo up, then I'd rather just pay my local shop for the labor.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

CubanRefugee posted:

So I've tried asking in the StellaSpeed tuning forums, but apparently they don't like to answer "easy" questions, and only answer things that require huge technical responses. :(

There's a guy in town selling a Polini 177cc Cylinder kit and Spaco 26/26 carb for about $170 total, new in box, for a Stella. Does anyone here have any experience replacing your cylinder/carb, and how difficult is it? (I think) I'm fairly competent when it comes to this kind of crap, but I've never done that kind of an upgrade before. If it's something that there's tons of room for error and fouling all kinds of poo poo up, then I'd rather just pay my local shop for the labor.

You can actually change your piston/cylinder without removing the engine but it's a little tricky because you have to take out the studs for clearance - I replaced my holed piston on my P200E this way. The carb is pretty simple, just remember where all the parts go and don't forget to reattach all the bits and hoses before running. You'll probably want a new exhaust too if you don't already have one.

My recommendation would be to make it a nice winter project (assuming you live in a place with winter) if you want to take it all apart just in case you realize that you bit off more than you can chew. Why not find some local vintage scooterists to help you out? They probably have all the funky special tools you may need as well.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

cheesebot posted:

My recommendation would be to make it a nice winter project

Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks! That definitely does sound like a better idea than trying to fit it in over the course of a long weekend or something. Hopefully one of these days I'll actually make some scooter friends around town. The big scooter club (Oregon Scooter Club) appears to be geared more towards big 250cc+ touring scooters, and not so much on the vintage scoots.

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe
Honda Metro or Yamaha Vino? Anybody got pros or cons? The Vino is a bit more to my liking stylewise, but i can get a new metro for around $250 cheaper and I am most keen on reliability not performance. I like the Kymco "Like" the most in appearance but it is hard to find a good deal on one where I live. Literally none of the dealers here will let you test drive so can anyone tell me which is smoother? Peppiness isnt that big a deal for me since I plan on just cruising around the neighborhood.

DJ Sizzle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 29, 2010

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Are you just looking at the 49 cc versions?

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008
It sounds like the the Honda Metro would be your best bet. As a general rule, the four-stroke in the Metro tends to be more reliable and lasts longer than two-stroke in the Vino.

The only drawback is that you have to change the oil in the Metro on a regular basis but you won't have to worry it not starting from a fouled spark plug like you would on a Vino.

As for smoothness, I would assume the Metro would be smoother but I don't know for sure as I haven't ridden either.

The Kymco Like is a two-stroke "like" the Vino but I'm pretty sure they have a four-stroke version on its way. They have it for sale in Taiwan already.

E: Ignore most of what I said. My information is woefully outdated.

Aguirre fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 1, 2010

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Are you just looking at the 49 cc versions?

Yes, I am not worried about speed at all, I just want something fun and cheap on gas to cruise the neighborhood and run errands.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Aguirre posted:

It sounds like the the Honda Metro would be your best bet. As a general rule, the four-stroke in the Metro tends to be more reliable and lasts longer than two-stroke in the Vino.

The only drawback is that you have to change the oil in the Metro on a regular basis but you won't have to worry it not starting from a fouled spark plug like you would on a Vino.

As for smoothness, I would assume the Metro would be smoother but I don't know for sure as I haven't ridden either.

The Kymco Like is a two-stroke "like" the Vino but I'm pretty sure they have a four-stroke version on its way. They have it for sale in Taiwan already.

The new Vinos are 4t - they call them the "Vino Classic" now instead of just the Vino 50, which were 2t. This has been the case for a few years.

Honestly I doubt you'll find any appreciable difference.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Phat_Albert posted:

cream

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...EHZ592X2KK8DV1H

I saw this in the shops today, big glossy photos of wide open flat slides, looks right up your alley.

[edit for content:

]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 1, 2010

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm sure some of you scooterists already know, but Carter Brother's (SYM's US distributor) warehouse burned down in an apparent arson, so there are literally zero spare parts for any SYM scooter in the US right now. Apparently some dealers can import parts by way of Canada right now, but the word on the street is to not buy a SYM unless you can get a good deal. It's a shame too, since I own one and really enjoy it!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Radbot posted:

I'm sure some of you scooterists already know, but Carter Brother's (SYM's US distributor) warehouse burned down in an apparent arson, so there are literally zero spare parts for any SYM scooter in the US right now. Apparently some dealers can import parts by way of Canada right now, but the word on the street is to not buy a SYM unless you can get a good deal. It's a shame too, since I own one and really enjoy it!

Yeah 2sb and The Scooter Scoop (a former Carter employee) have covered it. A shame, SYM is one of the best "off-brand" makers.

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe
Well guys I just bought an 06 Vino in great shape for $700 bucks locally, drat good deal! I have a few questions as it didn't come with the owners manual, what type of gas am I putting in this baby? No oil mixing right? Also the previous owner was around 350 lbs but the bike only has 1200 miles on it, do you think the extra weight could have hosed something up on it? Apparently the guys normal size son was the one who rode it mostly before college. Anyone know where I can get an owners manual that won't cost and arm and a leg?

Anything in particular any Vino owners got out there for me? This thing is a blast so far and I am super happy with the looks and performance.

DJ Sizzle fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 2, 2010

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

I need a price check on a scooter and also what people might think would be entailed in fixing this.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/1875829383.html

I really like how this looks but considering it isn't running and is missing a few parts, I was thinking of asking this guy if he would take $300 - $350

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

nobody has any opinion on the Dragster as per my last post? It's a mostly euro scooter, but I thought you lot would love it. It's like an Elite that lost a load of weight. I'm strongly considering getting one, but I'm having to weigh against reliability and parts issues that it's going to entail (and the difficulty of getting rid of the zoomer)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

DJ Sizzle posted:

Well guys I just bought an 06 Vino in great shape for $700 bucks locally, drat good deal! I have a few questions as it didn't come with the owners manual, what type of gas am I putting in this baby? No oil mixing right? Also the previous owner was around 350 lbs but the bike only has 1200 miles on it, do you think the extra weight could have hosed something up on it? Apparently the guys normal size son was the one who rode it mostly before college. Anyone know where I can get an owners manual that won't cost and arm and a leg?

Anything in particular any Vino owners got out there for me? This thing is a blast so far and I am super happy with the looks and performance.

Only thing the extra weight could've done would've been to maybe mess up the suspension, but I doubt it. 350lbs probably isn't too far above the rated capacity and even if he road it all 1200 miles I'm sure everything is fine.

You can find owner's and service manuals for free download here: http://scootertime.net/
In fact, here it is: http://scootertime.net/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=922 You'll need to register an account, but this is a pretty great site for Yamaha scooters so you'd want to anyway.

As for oil, an '06 should be a four-stroke, so you'll just need to do periodic oil changes like in a car. I bet the engine doesn't take more than a quart at a time. Don't forget to occasionally change the gear oil in the final drive, too - the above-linked service manual should have instructions on how to do both. Enjoy the new scooter!

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!

yaay posted:

nobody has any opinion on the Dragster as per my last post? It's a mostly euro scooter, but I thought you lot would love it. It's like an Elite that lost a load of weight. I'm strongly considering getting one, but I'm having to weigh against reliability and parts issues that it's going to entail (and the difficulty of getting rid of the zoomer)

I would go for that Sexy Italijet! No matter how practical 50cc may be for you now, you will eventually crave more speed. And as far as worrying about motorcycle licensing, it looks to be about the same size as my Ruckus and i have gotten out of a ticket because I told the cop that it was under 50cc. Really, unless the cop rides a scooter, they aren't going to know.

Ampersand-e fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 3, 2010

Captain Crunk
Jun 19, 2005
Lurking for 2 years...
Well, I went on a ride with a friend around my apartment parking lot last night on her 150CC something-or-other. Even with two people on it and extremely slow speeds it was a freaking blast.

Dammit, I knew I would like these things - I loved the cheap, slow, and electric scooter someone else I knew had as well as the dirt bike I once rode.

Being in Portland, OR (seems pretty common in this thread- we should ride sometime) there is a miserable winter. I live in an apartment and don't really have access to covered storage. I have a carport, but then the old Cadillac would be out in the rain and it tends to leak. What should I do? Cover it and hope for the best? Scotch guard all my clothes, put Rain-X on my helmet and ride anyways?

I already have 3 cars at this place, and I would need to sell one. I've never done that before, but I'll google it and do okay I'm sure. Still nervous about it!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

yaay posted:

I think they're awesome (and from what I hear, crazy fast in 180cc/tuned trim) but they are goddamn rare here in the States so all I know is "awesome, no parts, sketchy reliability, but awesome."

Captain Crunk posted:

Well, I went on a ride with a friend around my apartment parking lot last night on her 150CC something-or-other. Even with two people on it and extremely slow speeds it was a freaking blast.

Dammit, I knew I would like these things - I loved the cheap, slow, and electric scooter someone else I knew had as well as the dirt bike I once rode.

Being in Portland, OR (seems pretty common in this thread- we should ride sometime) there is a miserable winter. I live in an apartment and don't really have access to covered storage. I have a carport, but then the old Cadillac would be out in the rain and it tends to leak. What should I do? Cover it and hope for the best? Scotch guard all my clothes, put Rain-X on my helmet and ride anyways?

I already have 3 cars at this place, and I would need to sell one. I've never done that before, but I'll google it and do okay I'm sure. Still nervous about it!

For parking, remember, scooters are like 2' wide. Depending on how huge your Cadillac is compared to the carport you can probably fit the scooter under there in front of or behind the car, parked across the spot rather than lengthways, if that makes sense. If not, $40 gets you a good waterproof cover, and scooters are pretty waterproof anyway so even if you parked it outside, in rain, forever, it'll probably be fine.

Riding in rain/cold isn't a big deal, either. If you're doing slower (<40mph) shorter (<30 minutes) rides it's pretty easy to dress for cold. Waterproof proper riding gear isn't that expensive, or you can just go to REI and get some polyurethane overclothes that'll keep you completely dry.

I was living in Bellingham, WA, which I think is slightly colder/rainier than Portland, and I rode year-round. When it's below freezing I take the car because I fear ice, but for grocery runs and the like I kept scootering for the most part.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Captain Crunk posted:

Being in Portland, OR (seems pretty common in this thread- we should ride sometime

I'd be absolutely down for a ride! I'm making my first 'real' trip tomorrow coming from up on the hill in Lake Oswego to eastside off of 48th and Halsey. The lovely part is that I'm doing it at about 7:30am to be there at 8:30am for work.

Anyone in the area have recommendations on which bridge to go over? I'm slightly nervous about taking my first steel grated bridge.

Edit: Ended up going over Hawthorne in the morning, and then Morrison on the way back home. I don't know why I was so nervous, steel gratings are a breeze.

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 5, 2010

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Anybody have experience getting a title for a scooter? I've been dying to get an '84 Honda Gyro for awhile and found a pretty great one for an awesome price, but of course the title is long gone. Scooter's in WI, I'm in IL and have no idea if this is gonna be worth it to go through the process of titling it. Thoughts?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

alright I need to admit defeat, I can't get my scooter to run right. the engine doesn't seem shot, the air filter is clean, the carburetor is spotless, there isn't a leak with the fuel line, the auto-choke isn't off, the wiring is good. What happens is my scooter will be riding along, and then sputter out while it's going.

Can anyone help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Melicious posted:

Anybody have experience getting a title for a scooter? I've been dying to get an '84 Honda Gyro for awhile and found a pretty great one for an awesome price, but of course the title is long gone. Scooter's in WI, I'm in IL and have no idea if this is gonna be worth it to go through the process of titling it. Thoughts?

In WI its not even worth messing with the DMV, as they're notoriously impossible to get a title out of.

I dont know if IL is the same, but if it is, this is your best bet: http://www.its-titles.com/

I've used them a few times, and they work great. Tacks a fairly significant cost onto your purchase price though.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 8, 2010