Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

CubanRefugee posted:

I'd be absolutely down for a ride! I'm making my first 'real' trip tomorrow coming from up on the hill in Lake Oswego to eastside off of 48th and Halsey. The lovely part is that I'm doing it at about 7:30am to be there at 8:30am for work.

I'm in Portland too and will be moving back into the city again shortly (I am out hwy 30 right now) and would be down to ride. I went on a ride with the "ruckstars" last week that was pretty fun. Coming from my vino 125 GOD drat is the Honda Ruckus a slow bike.

They were a fun group to ride with, it's almost making me consider getting one of these slow rear end Rucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Phat_Albert posted:

In WI its not even worth messing with the DMV, as they're notoriously impossible to get a title out of.

I dont know if IL is the same, but if it is, this is your best bet: http://www.its-titles.com/

I've used them a few times, and they work great. Tacks a fairly significant cost onto your purchase price though.

Hm, alright, thanks. Anybody else have experience doing this through the DMV in IL?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Quantumfate posted:

alright I need to admit defeat, I can't get my scooter to run right. the engine doesn't seem shot, the air filter is clean, the carburetor is spotless, there isn't a leak with the fuel line, the auto-choke isn't off, the wiring is good. What happens is my scooter will be riding along, and then sputter out while it's going.

Can anyone help me out?

I really need some help with this, I love my scooter and it's my primary mode of transportation. This one has been better to me than my old one was, the old one was a piece of poo poo. I'm pretty mechanically adept, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is. The battery is non-essential to the running of the scooter and the running of the scooter is the problem. SO it's not the battery. The vacuum lines are tight, so there's no leak there. The carburetor, as I said, is spotless, it looks almost factory. Air filter isn't clogged. When I try to kickstart my scooter it won't always work, and when it does work I can get it running for a bit before it cuts out on me The spark on the plug is white, as it should be. and when my scooter doesn't start up by kickstarting it, I can tell that it's sparking, and the odometer lights and some of the basic electric systems will almost start up, and then dim back down when it fails to kick over.

I need to get this thing fixed, and relatively quickly, I rely on it for transportation so getting it up and running fast is a priority. And no, I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Quantumfate posted:

I need to get this thing fixed, and relatively quickly, I rely on it for transportation so getting it up and running fast is a priority. And no, I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic.

Mind telling us what it is?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Right, sorry, 150 cc gy6 engine.

EDIT: 4-stroke

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 10, 2010

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Quantumfate posted:

Scooter problems

Bad kill switch?

I had somewhat the same issue as you when I first got my Stella, and it turned out that my kill switch was stuck, even though it didn't appear to be. A bit of wd40, and some wiggling around loosened things up so that it stopped sticking.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

if it's a kill switch it would just kill the engine, it wouldn't be almost firing. I should double check for airleaks, make sure everything is sealed tight, check the auto-choke, and the fuel lines again. I want to say it's a fuel problem... but fuel does get to the carburetor. Could still be fuel problems I guess of fuel not consistently getting tot he carburetor, but enough might be getting in to fill it. hmm

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Blah, on my way to work a couple of hours ago, and my poor Stella sputtered and died. I look down to make sure I didn't do something stupid like forget to turn the petcock on or turn the choke off, and I'm draining fuel out on the engine side like crazy.

I didn't have enough time to take the cowl off and take a look to see what happened, so I just took my wifes motorcycle to work.

Here's hoping the fuel line just popped off from the ridiculously huge speed bumps we have in our apartment parking lot.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I installed a new spark plug in my Vino 125 last week. It is amazing how much better one of those iradium plugs work. It used to take me 15 seconds of cranking to get my vino started if I had not ridden it in the last 2 weeks, now its' about 2-3 seconds.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My friends and I have a pretty good crew of scooter owners here in the Twin Cities. Mostly Zuma 50cc guys with pipes with a few other cool scoots tossed in. The other day we went 1/2 a block past a "road closed" sign and managed to all get tickets.

My buddys nice Rattler

My roommates nice Formula50

Click for high rez!

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

titanium posted:

My roommates nice Formula50

Click for high rez!

I didn't manage to get my hands on a dragster, but I've got a 125 version of one of these on the way. World's only twin-cylinder production scooter. It should be brilliant (until it breaks down, irreparably). It's such a shame Italjet were bought out and desecrated.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

yaay posted:

World's only twin-cylinder production scooter.

Nah, the Honda Silverwing, Yamaha T-Max, Gilera GP800, and the Triumph Tigress all have twins. There are probably others I'm forgetting.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

open24hours posted:

There are probably others I'm forgetting.

The Rumi Formichino of course.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Quantumfate posted:

Stuff about scooter not working

Still not working, still too poor to fix it, still in dire need here. I'm normally pretty good with mechanics, but I have -no idea- what's wrong here.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

open24hours posted:

Nah, the Honda Silverwing, Yamaha T-Max, Gilera GP800, and the Triumph Tigress all have twins. There are probably others I'm forgetting.

aww...but what about hub steering

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

I've been doing more reading on the F125 and, jesus loving christ, I didn't do enough research by half. These things are apparently worse to keep on the road than chinese trash. :(

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't buy a Kymco Super 8 150 in the next couple days?

(Also, should I buy my helmets from the dealer or elsewhere? Anything else I should/should not buy?)

EDIT: Anyone here in Philly Metro be interested in an '02 Zuma as a project bike? Was going to be a trade-in but...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clockworx posted:

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't buy a Kymco Super 8 150 in the next couple days?

(Also, should I buy my helmets from the dealer or elsewhere? Anything else I should/should not buy?)

EDIT: Anyone here in Philly Metro be interested in an '02 Zuma as a project bike? Was going to be a trade-in but...

I think the Super 8s are neat, and you should buy at the dealer if you like them. Scooter industry is in the shitter right now and good dealers need all the help they can get. You certainly want to try helmets on in person to make sure the shape fits your head.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I think the Super 8s are neat, and you should buy at the dealer if you like them. Scooter industry is in the shitter right now and good dealers need all the help they can get. You certainly want to try helmets on in person to make sure the shape fits your head.

I'm actually a bit annoyed. The season is near the end here, and they don't want to come down on price at all. I'm not trying to take them to the cleaners or anything, but they still refuse to budge on price, when I know other dealers around the country are offering discounts (but it's not exactly convenient to go pick up a scooter a few hundred miles away the same way as with a car)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clockworx posted:

I'm actually a bit annoyed. The season is near the end here, and they don't want to come down on price at all. I'm not trying to take them to the cleaners or anything, but they still refuse to budge on price, when I know other dealers around the country are offering discounts (but it's not exactly convenient to go pick up a scooter a few hundred miles away the same way as with a car)

There's very little dealer markup on scooters, so unless Kymco is offering incentives the dealer really doesn't have much to work with - it's not worth making a deal to make a sale when you're working with a $300 margin. Other scooter companies like Genuine are currently offering/about to offer significant incentives, taking the hit in price so their dealers don't have to.

Perhaps you can get them to swing a discount on gear, leniency on the freight/setup charges, or coupons for future service? But I'm not good at this I paid full price for my first scooter and only got a deal on my second scooter because they were going out of business (though I'm pretty sure he was more generous with me since he knew me and had nothing to lose anyway)

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

There's very little dealer markup on scooters, so unless Kymco is offering incentives the dealer really doesn't have much to work with - it's not worth making a deal to make a sale when you're working with a $300 margin. Other scooter companies like Genuine are currently offering/about to offer significant incentives, taking the hit in price so their dealers don't have to.

Perhaps you can get them to swing a discount on gear, leniency on the freight/setup charges, or coupons for future service? But I'm not good at this I paid full price for my first scooter and only got a deal on my second scooter because they were going out of business (though I'm pretty sure he was more generous with me since he knew me and had nothing to lose anyway)

This is a very slightly used '09, actually, that (without going into further detail ), I would guess they got a pretty sweet deal on. I just saw this post:

http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=2302.0

and if he is to be believed, is getting a better deal on a new '09 than my dealer wants for their used one. The dealer also adds in about $300 in fees over MSRP on their new scoots, so we're not just talking about their "initial" margin.

I guess it just seems to me that some dealers are complaining about the horrible spot that the downturn has put them into, and then turn around and act like the downturn has never happened and they're doing you a favor selling a scooter.

I put out requests for quotes for a bunch of other local dealers, I guess I'll see what they come back with.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clockworx posted:

This is a very slightly used '09, actually, that (without going into further detail ), I would guess they got a pretty sweet deal on. I just saw this post:

http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=2302.0

and if he is to be believed, is getting a better deal on a new '09 than my dealer wants for their used one. The dealer also adds in about $300 in fees over MSRP on their new scoots, so we're not just talking about their "initial" margin.

I guess it just seems to me that some dealers are complaining about the horrible spot that the downturn has put them into, and then turn around and act like the downturn has never happened and they're doing you a favor selling a scooter.

I put out requests for quotes for a bunch of other local dealers, I guess I'll see what they come back with.

I don't think it's that they're greedy and don't want to work with you, it's that in many times they feel like they can't. The aging new scooters on their floor are likely costing them money at this point and they want to try to make a least a little bit on the used ones. I'd bet you could work a pretty darn good deal on a new one, maybe even good enough to make that worth your while.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Radbot posted:

I don't think it's that they're greedy and don't want to work with you, it's that in many times they feel like they can't. The aging new scooters on their floor are likely costing them money at this point and they want to try to make a least a little bit on the used ones. I'd bet you could work a pretty darn good deal on a new one, maybe even good enough to make that worth your while.

Well, this one was bought from them by someone, who apparently never rode it (under 100 miles), and then had to move, so he sold it back to them. So they've already made their money on it, probably bought it back pretty cheap, and get to make money on it again a second time. I really have a hard time thinking of a more ideal situation for a dealer. But again, I'm not trying to kill them, just trying to walk away from the deal feeling satisfied that I didn't ridiculously overpay.

I guess I'll see what happens when the quotes from the other dealers come back.

EDIT: Oh, how I love dealerships.

:j: : Hi, I'm calling from __________, you submitted a request for a quote online?!
:) : Yes, I did.
:j: : Great, it looks like you're only about 40 minutes away, when can you come in to talk number?!?!
:mad: : Umm...I submitted a request for a quote so I wouldn't have to drive 40 minutes just to find out.
:j: : Oh, well we don't do that over the phone!
:rant: : Well then maybe the button on your website that says "Request a quote" should say "Set up an appointment".

(Note: Obviously, I only thought of the last line after hanging up, so I never got to say it)

clockworx fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 26, 2010

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
I'm a scooter owner! :woop::circlefap::toot:

I need to pick up a helmet and lock tomorrow....any recommendations? I was planning on getting

1) HJC full face modular helmet (I've read that non-modulars are slightly safer, but my riding will be around town at low speeds so I'm hoping to not face a catastrophic issue where it makes a difference)

2) The owner showed me a noose lock or a regular lock. Still not sure about which one to do there.

3) Gloves?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Congratulations on your purchase! :)

clockworx posted:

I've read that non-modulars are slightly safer, but my riding will be around town at low speeds so I'm hoping to not face a catastrophic issue where it makes a difference

The biggest downside to modulars these days is weight.They're tested using the same method as non-modulars and seem to do pretty well.

Although I don't think I've ever seen a modular get 5 stars in the SHARP test, 4 seems to be the best they can do, so I guess they're marginally less safe. FWIW some of the best-selling full-face helmets score 3 or 4 stars and they still seem to work just fine saving people's noggins v:shobon:v

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
2strokebuzz has a pretty depressing article about the state of the scooter industry. It isn't good.

http://2strokebuzz.com/2010/08/20/scooter-superstore-and-the-beginning-of-the-end

I guess unless gas prices go up, people want their cars too much.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

2strokebuzz has a pretty depressing article about the state of the scooter industry. It isn't good.

http://2strokebuzz.com/2010/08/20/scooter-superstore-and-the-beginning-of-the-end

On the bright side, we're probably about due for another SUV boom.

:barf:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the US scooter market for you, in general we only care about them when gas prices are too high to drive the Excursion.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

TLG James posted:

The Scooter Scoop's take on the matter is good, too. He used to work for SYM.

It really is a shame, but anyone who thought about this for more than a minute realized what was going to happen. Scooters sold like hotcakes to people that didn't fully realize the sacrifices and risks associated with riding* v. driving and then parked their bikes the moment they had their first close call, had to carry something bigger than they could fit under the seat, or gas dropped back below $4. Not even counting the people that bought $600 China Specials and had them break down two weeks later.

I'm glad the lovely quick-buck dealers are closing, but it breaks my heart that a lot of honest, fully-invested real scooter dealerships have to shut down because we're in the bust cycle.

Plus now that hybrids are more common even fewer people will be going to scooters. The people that had cars with good mileage probably weren't buying scooters for gas reasons anyway, it was just the SUV drivers. Now the SUV drivers are trading for hybrids that aren't as terrifying on America roads and it's all goin' to hell

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMAI26FPeyM

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 27, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"OH MY GOD IM SORRY IM SORRY :qq:"
*totally normal voice four nanoseconds later*
"yeah, im good"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phat_Albert posted:

"OH MY GOD IM SORRY IM SORRY :qq:"
*totally normal voice four nanoseconds later*
"yeah, im good"

Is riding just something some people "get" and others don't to some degree? Both my girlfriend and I both got through our noob phase without ever crashing or dropping our bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Radbot posted:

Is riding just something some people "get" and others don't to some degree? Both my girlfriend and I both got through our noob phase without ever crashing or dropping our bikes.

Yeah, its all in your level of preparedness and calmness. I've seen more than one total noob get on a bike, and just lock up, holding the throttle steady when they should be off it, locking their arms when they should be steering.

These are generally the people you have to shout "BRAKES!!! BRAKES!!! at before they snap out of it and still wad it up regardless.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
I don't even get what is going on there. She just plowed through a turn at a diagonal?

Errr, on second viewing it looks like she was fine starting the turn and lost balance (and maybe accelerated at the same time?)

clockworx fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 27, 2010

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
I'm not sure if these qualify at scooters per se but yesterday my girlfriend and I took out the old Honda CT90s for some terrifying trail (read: rock pile) riding out at Wrentham State Forest ( http://mappery.com/Wrentham-State-Forest-trail-map ). It was quite a workout and I have no injuries to report except a few bruises and a bent front rack. drat these things are awesome fun!

(pay no attention to that DRZ behind the curtain)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats awesome, you dont see enough trail-90's, period, let alone out on trails.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Ok looking for some advice on scooter purchase.

I'm currently planning to buy a scooter sometime this winter (I swear used prices go down so hard during the winter) and I'm finding the more research I do the less sure I am of what I want.

A little background I used to drive a vino 50 when I got out of highschool and i really want to get back into it again. I definitely want something with more power, but I'm not really looking for heavy freeway use but I do need to jump on and off it every now and then.

I'm looking for something in the 200cc range. I really love vespa styling and brand, but as long as the same "style" is there I'm not LOCKED into the vespa brand. Cheaper is better, so I don't mind used.

Right now I'm looking at the Kymco Like, as my local dealer has them in stock. Part of me wants to pony up the cash and go to a vespa however, I'm not really sure what the pros and cons of either would be between a kymco or vespa at the moment. other than the metal vs. plastic of course. help!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Coldrice posted:

Ok looking for some advice on scooter purchase.

I'm currently planning to buy a scooter sometime this winter (I swear used prices go down so hard during the winter) and I'm finding the more research I do the less sure I am of what I want.

A little background I used to drive a vino 50 when I got out of highschool and i really want to get back into it again. I definitely want something with more power, but I'm not really looking for heavy freeway use but I do need to jump on and off it every now and then.

I'm looking for something in the 200cc range. I really love vespa styling and brand, but as long as the same "style" is there I'm not LOCKED into the vespa brand. Cheaper is better, so I don't mind used.

Right now I'm looking at the Kymco Like, as my local dealer has them in stock. Part of me wants to pony up the cash and go to a vespa however, I'm not really sure what the pros and cons of either would be between a kymco or vespa at the moment. other than the metal vs. plastic of course. help!

If you like the Like 125 you might also look at the SYM Fiddle 125, just to throw another wrench in your cogs.

But both are 125s, aren't they? Really the only bike I can think of with Vespa styling that's 200cc is the Vespa GT200. If you want 200cc and a Vespa, why not just buy a 200cc Vespa? Especially since you're okay shopping used I bet you can get a great condition GT200 for a price comparable to what a new Like would cost.

And then you'd never look wistfully at the real Vespatistas rolling by, thinking, "What if?"

e: there are 2 GT200s in Seattle right now for $2750 ('05) and $3000 ('07), just buy a Vespa.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 29, 2010

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you're worried about other brands not being as good of vehicles as Vespas are, don't worry about it as Genuine/PGO, SYM, Kymco, Honda, Yamaha, etc. all make scooters that are just as good if not better. If you're doing it for the look or lifestyle, even just a little bit, just get the Vespa as you're going to want it eventually.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

This is why everyone needs the MSF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

TLG James posted:

This is why everyone needs the MSF.

No way a MSF will remove idiots from the streets. What really makes me sad is that the missing helmet didn't work out in this case.