Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!

Blaster of Justice posted:

No way a MSF will remove idiots from the streets. What really makes me sad is that the missing helmet didn't work out in this case.

Best Name-Post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

No way a MSF will remove idiots from the streets. What really makes me sad is that the missing helmet didn't work out in this case.

That was more a "I have no clue what the gently caress I'm doing on something with 2 wheels" kind of idiocy. The fixable with MSF kind. Foot down cornering, target fixation, etc.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Well the car in front of the camera has a Duval Co. license plate in Florida, so either this was in Jacksonville, FL, perhaps St. Augustine, or somewhere else in Florida that normally rents out scooters.

Living in the Keys for 20 years, I'd put my money on retarded tourists down in Key West. I've seen stupid crap like that way too much. It definitely looks like when she put her feet down that she probably throttled it at the same time.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
What would be an average going rate for a good condition 2003 Stella with approximately 3000 miles on it?

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Woofington posted:

What would be an average going rate for a good condition 2003 Stella with approximately 3000 miles on it?

Mine's an '04 with 3500 miles with a sito+ and I paid $2100. At the time I was looking, just a few months back, they were all around $1900~$2100 for a stock Stella.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

CubanRefugee posted:

Mine's an '04 with 3500 miles with a sito+ and I paid $2100. At the time I was looking, just a few months back, they were all around $1900~$2100 for a stock Stella.

The guy is saying that it is a stock stella, with a 2 stroke engine and manual transmission. Is this legit?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Woofington posted:

The guy is saying that it is a stock stella, with a 2 stroke engine and manual transmission. Is this legit?

That's what Stellas are: 2-stroke 150cc with four-speed twist-shift manual transmissions. It's essentially a Vespa PX150, which was introduced in 1978.

$2,000 for a stock one in good shape would probably be alright. Compare classifieds at https://www.stellaspeed.com and https://www.scoot.net to see what the going rate is. On an '03 I'd ask if he's had problems with the crank - they tended to fail on the early models, and '03 is as early as they get.

PhragHG
Mar 27, 2008

Don't stop Booz. Don't stop.
Anyone look at the Honda PCX? I'm thinking about replacing my car with a scooter once the lease is up and it looks like a decent alternative to the Blur but I know very little about scooters firsthand.

Only 125cc vs 220cc on the Blur, slightly cheaper at $3399 vs $3899, but I figure the Honda will have an edge in reliability (liquid cooled) and probably practicality.

I do live in California. I was wondering if the extra 100ccs to make sure my primary transportation is highway legal is worth it. My gut feeling is that I wouldn't want to be on an interstate in California without being surrounded by steel anyways.

Here's a picture in case anyone else is interested.

PhragHG fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 12, 2010

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Anyone know where I can buy a Mikuni VM 14SH carburetor, or at least parts for one? Google gives me no results in English (as I'm pretty sure they didn't sell the Love in any English-speaking countries). If there is a reasonable facsimile it may suffice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it spigot mount or flange mount? Your best bet may be replacing it with a more common carb of similar spec. Thankfully for you the VM series were all pretty similar.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Sorry I don't know what things are called. Please describe it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The mount of course refers to the side of the carb that mounts the carb to the engine.

A spigot mount is round and fits into a rubber sleeve or adapter like so:

A flange mount is oblong and has bolt holes in it, and is bolted directly to the engine, or a metal intake manifold, like so:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Of course, thanks for informing me. It is flange mounted.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Someone just posted this on ADV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXcM9evUpo

I bet that thing is a beast up to ~70mph*

*Vespas run extremely high ratios

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So you say the MP3 doesn't have enough wheels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ll26VmsWs]

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!
If they slap the 500cc MP3 body on that thing I would swim across the pond for that baby.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Synonamess Botch posted:

Of course, thanks for informing me. It is flange mounted.

Ok, whats the spacing between the flange bolt holes, center to center?

I'm guessing somewhere in the 50mm range?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
the Formula 125 I bought barely a month ago and have done less than a hundred miles on now has a centre stand with a snapped foot, a worn vario (ringing noise at idle), and a rubber hose hanging from underneath the chassis :(

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PhragHG posted:

Anyone look at the Honda PCX? I'm thinking about replacing my car with a scooter once the lease is up and it looks like a decent alternative to the Blur but I know very little about scooters firsthand.

Only 125cc vs 220cc on the Blur, slightly cheaper at $3399 vs $3899, but I figure the Honda will have an edge in reliability (liquid cooled) and probably practicality.

I do live in California. I was wondering if the extra 100ccs to make sure my primary transportation is highway legal is worth it. My gut feeling is that I wouldn't want to be on an interstate in California without being surrounded by steel anyways.

That looks like a nice scoot, but with the used market like it is right now it'd be almost criminal not to buy pre-owned. As for displacement, it all comes down on how you think you're going to ride. If you plan on riding 3 times a week or more (or even every day), you'll need the size IMHO.

As a San Diego resident I can tell you that making highways a non-option makes getting around a shitload more difficult if you travel outside of a small radius around your home. I used to ride my 250cc SYM RV250 for a 30 mile one-way commute on the 5 every day, and although I wasn't riding in the fast lane I was keeping up with traffic (although some might consider me slightly more brave than others!).

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007

PhragHG posted:

I was under the impression that anything below 250cc wasn't highway legal in CA.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Phat_Albert posted:

Ok, whats the spacing between the flange bolt holes, center to center?

I'm guessing somewhere in the 50mm range?

Center to center the bolt holes are about 44mm. Here is a reference picture:

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

The intake side is 25mm. There is one fuel and one air line. The throttle cable goes straight in the top, and there is a large shaft which does nothing but hold the carb in place. I only know motorcycle carbs, this is the only scoot I've ever worked on, so I have no idea how normal any of this is.

PhragHG
Mar 27, 2008

Blinken posted:

I was under the impression that anything below 250cc wasn't highway legal in CA.

It turns out the Blur is delayed in California since it has to be specially certified by CARB. The paperwork was filed more than a year ago, but they're still in the process of validating it or something.

What an awesome state :downs:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Synonamess Botch posted:

Center to center the bolt holes are about 44mm. Here is a reference picture:

The intake side is 25mm. There is one fuel and one air line. The throttle cable goes straight in the top, and there is a large shaft which does nothing but hold the carb in place. I only know motorcycle carbs, this is the only scoot I've ever worked on, so I have no idea how normal any of this is.

The carb body itself looks weird, can we get a side shot from both sides?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Here is the intake side.

Bottom left is fuel, top left is air, and the middle is where the idle air screw is supposed to live.

And just for the full 360:

edit: and the spacing is closer to 45mm, I was measuring incorrectly.

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 15, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I can finally post in CA *cries*

I live in Bangkok, Thailand where traffic looks like this:

I got sick of being stuck in buses without air con or fans for hours so I decided to buy a bike. I've always had cars and/or motorcycles to get around so having just public transport to get around felt incredibly frustrating. A small scooter is the perfect way to fight the traffic. I had a look at a few second hand ones but they were all in horrible condition (owners just didn't give a poo poo). Then my girlfriend decided to just buy a brand new bike so here we go:

A Honda Wave 125i

The white stuff on the rear fender are from monks blessing the bike. This means I'll never crash! (or something)

I've had it for two days now and it's been raining quite a lot but I can't resist riding it. It has just passed 100km. Not exactly the kind of bike I wanted, but it's good enough. The manual is entirely in Thai but my Thai's not very good. I tried to find something about running in the engine. I take it pretty easy but rev her hard once or twice on every ride once the engine is warm. I'd like to do something about the looks but not sure what. Might buy a nicer exhaust pipe 'cause the stock one looks so ugh.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Seeing those sexy foreign scooters always makes me sad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its a Honda, drive it how you want, and it will break itself in. I wouldnt worry too much about it, especially since at 100KM all the important parts of the break in are done.

PhragHG
Mar 27, 2008

TLG James posted:

Seeing those sexy foreign scooters always makes me sad.

I wish Honda would bring the shamu scooter into the US. 250ccs.

Big enough for two, Honda reliability, enough power for the highway, and the storage space of a scooter vs a Ninja250.

PhragHG fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 18, 2010

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PhragHG posted:

I wish Honda would bring the shamu scooter into the US. 250ccs.

Big enough for two, Honda reliability, enough power for the highway, and the storage space of a scooter vs a Ninja250.

Why would they import something that directly competes with the Reflex?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Because they don't sell the Reflex anymore?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

open24hours posted:

Because they don't sell the Reflex anymore?

drat, didn't even realize. Then I completely agree! However, there are so many high quality 250cc scooters that are going for dirt cheap right now (SYM, Kymco) that I doubt Honda wants to get involved in selling theirs at a price that would compare.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TKgPcBKXgU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Those MINIs look pretty cute but I can't help but see SYM Mios and Kymco Sentos in them, which in turn means they look like Metropolitans and Vino 50s. It's the headlight/front blinkers. The rest is good.

The smart escooter looks more unique:

But I still think I'd take the MINI, assuming specs are comparable. Not that I'd buy either - you'll have to pry my blue 2stroke smoke from my cold dead hands (and blackened lungs).

Hell for Leather actually had a pretty great writeup on the MINI-E and what it might mean the other day:

quote:

Of course, a widespread network of bright, friendly dealers who don’t think women are shopping for their husbands, that can offer easy financing, represent an already very well-known and well-liked brand and aren’t located in dingy out-of-town industrial parks combined with an enormous marketing budget and the halo effect of a decade’s worth of good products and good marketing all combine to create what could be the 800lbs guerilla in a room full of tiny, unknown electric scooter makers. If we were a Japanese or Italian company thinking about bringing an electric scooter to western markets, we’d be afraid, very afraid.

And we can't forget that MINI is BMW and BMW makes great bikes... sure, Motorrad and the cars operate pretty differently but there's no reason they can't reach across and make the MINI-E BMW Motorrad's Cooper.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 26, 2010

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm all for anything that will make scooters more popular. Hopefully it will see production.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

open24hours posted:

I'm all for anything that will make scooters more popular. Hopefully it will see production.

Absolutely. Even though scooters (and bicycles) are relatively popular here, the amount of people who only ever drive their cars around town carrying no passengers nor anything heavier than a handbag is ridiculous.

Make scooters cool instead of a last resort when you're too poor to get a car and inner-city traffic will breathe a giant sigh of relief.

Our local government is dead-set on the bicycle being the only future inner-city mode of transport apart from public transport, but but you either get to work sweaty or late because you had to wait for the bus. Scooters solve that problem, and e-scooters are even better.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm digging the black and army greenish mini scooter.

Do you have to have an ipod to use it? Sorry officer, I left my ipod touch at home, I couldn't see how fast I was going.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 26, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

e-scooters are even better.

Not really, considering how we produce energy today, and how effective it's transported and how effective it's stored in the vehicle.

That e-vehicles are green is a really persistent myth, but reality shows a 20-30% higher CO2 imprint compared to equally effective gasoline vehicles.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not really, considering how we produce energy today, and how effective it's transported and how effective it's stored in the vehicle.

That e-vehicles are green is a really persistent myth, but reality shows a 20-30% higher CO2 imprint compared to equally effective gasoline vehicles.

But electric vehicles have one big advantage, a unified energy infrastructure. Electricity is electricity, you can move to a windmill-, nuclear- or geothermal-powered supply and it won't impact people one bit apart from reduced overall pollution, and it's much easier to put emission controls on a few big immobile powerplants than millions and millions of cars, bikes and scooters.

Pollution from mining the materials for batteries is by far the biggest problem right now, but I have great faith in zinc-air and similar technologies which are less dirty than lithium-based batteries.

With biofuels you either have to design the vehicle specifically for it or convert engines that were rigorously designed for the octane rating, lubricity, energy content and solvent properties of gasoline to use ethanol, which is a completely different beast in almost all regards.

Both paths are tough, but I think the electric-based one will win out. Either way, the more electric vehicles replace internal combustion vehicles, the more gas there'll be left for the rest of us :)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

Either way, the more electric vehicles replace internal combustion vehicles, the more gas there'll be left for the rest of us :)

That's why I designed your new petcock lever to break in a week or two. I need a metric fuckton of gas for my new V6 ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Well I went down to one of the local scooter shops in Boston and they talked me out of putting money down on a 4T Stella. Trying out their 2T stella and the $2.7K price tag sold me so I have to finish paying that off in a few weeks.

Holy crap driving at 2T Stella with a sidecar is just about as awesome and horrible as you would think. ( An orange 2T Stella with sidecar is their "company car" which I test drove on a side street next to the dealership.)

I haven't driven something with two wheels that wasn't a motorcyle since I was a kid so the twist shift was really strange but I liked it all the same. I can't wait to pick it up in a few weeks. The avocado color just called out to me. I can't wait to waste a few winter months tooling it up.

Tupac shot Cobain fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 27, 2010