Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Oh yeah the ruckus doesn't come with a toolkit, which is odd because it's not a lot.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Thanks for the responses! As mentioned, no tools on the ruck. The trail 125 I debated on before this does come with tools, though. Also good point on the food/wipes. I usually have that stuff on my person anyway. I am a nervous man.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I got a leather tool roll I didn't hate from Etsy and a cheap tool kit from Cycle Gear and put what I thought was useful in there.

knuthgrush posted:

I am a nervous man.

Honestly, riding anything on two wheels is a huge help in that arena for me. I have to pay attention to everything that's going on, so my brain can't be inventing new things to be anxious about.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
I carry a small kit made out of a Wera Bicycle Set with the tire levers ditched, a few of the bits swapped out (including adding a 1/4in hex adapter), a 10mm socket tucked above the ratchet, a flat roll of duck tape, some zip ties, and an assortment of fuses and glue lined shrink solder connectors in the mesh pouch. I also carry a Gerber MP600 multitool for the pliers/saw/knife. It's enough to take apart the majority of the bike and fix most things, it's also nice to have around for non-bike uses as well.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I know the talk is about motorcycle style scooters itt but does anyone have knowledge on escooters? I'm looking to make a purchase soon. I figured this and the EV thread might be a place to start.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Karma Comedian posted:

I know the talk is about motorcycle style scooters itt but does anyone have knowledge on escooters? I'm looking to make a purchase soon. I figured this and the EV thread might be a place to start.

afaik Ninebot is the most solid brand, but also the priciest.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Karma Comedian posted:

Like a stand-up scooter? Someone made a thread.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Well I snagged this kit online so I can pick it over for emergency scoot tools. I figure that plus a can of fix-a-flat and a sparkplug socket with some fuses ought to do it for the hard goods. Gloves, wipes, etc are another thing entirely.

Ended up paying the extra $6 in shipping because I'm sick as fuuuuuuck so I couldn't go to the store. Still a good price for some disposable hazard fraught tools I can use in a bind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I got recommended a video on YouTube by a guy called Lab Coat Paul and he's a dork who takes scooters to bits and now I want one.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

re: e scooters. i have a couple of ninebots and they’re as good as they get and i would still pick a ruckus or vespa of any vintage over a e-scooter any day of the week.

e-scoots are alright. but they’re not
built to last and you kinda have to be a nerd or live in a huge city that has the one repair shop if you want to get service. a 10 year old vespa will out last any e-scoot

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Yeah they're cheap garbage, awful build quality

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Saw someone on a Royal Alloy Facebook group asking about the availability of a trike conversion kit and I just needed to share that with other people who would appreciate how dumb that question is.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have tentatively been tasked with buying a scooter for other people to ride - I spend part of summers in a loose and changing collective of extended family members, and most of the adults aren't licenced to ride anything bigger than a 45km/h EU class 1 moped (which you are allowed to operate on a car licence). The location is great for scooting around at moderate speeds though with plenty of destinations within range, and I think everyone would enjoy it and probably not kill themselves in the process. I know nothing about mopeds, but I'd be the one wrenching on it when it doesn't work. I'm thinking I should stay clear of China scooters and get something used but well taken care of, preferably a bit scuffed in the plastic to bring the price down a bit, preferably a Japanese brand. 4-stroke for sure, fuel injection a bonus. I don't like the idea of tiny wheels and I think under seat storage seems nifty, but these are just expressions of my uniformed prejudice of these things. The market is huge, there are brands I've never heard of, but most brands available on the used market seem to be either Chinese, European or some kind of mixture of the two. There's the odd Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki for sale though. Any guidance would be appreciated to point me in the right direction.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Invalido posted:

I have tentatively been tasked with buying a scooter for other people to ride - I spend part of summers in a loose and changing collective of extended family members, and most of the adults aren't licenced to ride anything bigger than a 45km/h EU class 1 moped (which you are allowed to operate on a car licence). The location is great for scooting around at moderate speeds though with plenty of destinations within range, and I think everyone would enjoy it and probably not kill themselves in the process. I know nothing about mopeds, but I'd be the one wrenching on it when it doesn't work. I'm thinking I should stay clear of China scooters and get something used but well taken care of, preferably a bit scuffed in the plastic to bring the price down a bit, preferably a Japanese brand. 4-stroke for sure, fuel injection a bonus. I don't like the idea of tiny wheels and I think under seat storage seems nifty, but these are just expressions of my uniformed prejudice of these things. The market is huge, there are brands I've never heard of, but most brands available on the used market seem to be either Chinese, European or some kind of mixture of the two. There's the odd Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki for sale though. Any guidance would be appreciated to point me in the right direction.

Here are some suggestions:
Piaggio Liberty (big wheels)
Kymco Agility (also big wheels)
Other Kymco 4 strokes
Yamaha Aerox/Neos 4
Piaggio Zip 4 stroke model
PGO Big Max 4 stroke

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Peugeot kisbee is also an option. I've got one for commuting to work. It's slow as balls but so it every other 45kph scooter.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
There is a white Peugot Kisbee for sale for a grand even, 2014 model, 6000km on the odo. Some scratched plastic and a cracked headlight. It's right across town and then some, but I might shoot the seller a message and get a feel for it. If it's on the original tires those are probably hockey pucks by now, for example. What about belts, how long can they be expected to last? I'm not afraid of replacing these things but parts costs money and needs to be part of the economic considerations.

There's also a Piaggio Liberty with a busted front fairing for $850, also right across town but closer than the Kisbee, 15000km on the odo. The seller states that it's been maintained by the book, so that's at least something.

That damage looks a bit much even for me, but if there are replacement parts available it's a candidate I guess. I guess that windscreen can be removed - this thing will probably only see use in fair weather, but you never know I guess.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Invalido posted:

There is a white Peugot Kisbee for sale for a grand even, 2014 model, 6000km on the odo. Some scratched plastic and a cracked headlight. It's right across town and then some, but I might shoot the seller a message and get a feel for it. If it's on the original tires those are probably hockey pucks by now, for example. What about belts, how long can they be expected to last? I'm not afraid of replacing these things but parts costs money and needs to be part of the economic considerations.

There's also a Piaggio Liberty with a busted front fairing for $850, also right across town but closer than the Kisbee, 15000km on the odo. The seller states that it's been maintained by the book, so that's at least something.

That damage looks a bit much even for me, but if there are replacement parts available it's a candidate I guess. I guess that windscreen can be removed - this thing will probably only see use in fair weather, but you never know I guess.

As long as there's no structural damage that Piaggio is probably an easy repair. New fairings are usually pretty cheap.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I chatted a bit with the piaggio seller, he seems eager for me to buy it, but I don't think a replacement fairing is easy or cheap to find, nor does he have the broken pieces left from the attempted theft he says is the reason for the damage.

What about this Honda Vision NCS50 from 2012 with 23 000 km on the clock? Seller asks €1000.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Invalido posted:

I chatted a bit with the piaggio seller, he seems eager for me to buy it, but I don't think a replacement fairing is easy or cheap to find, nor does he have the broken pieces left from the attempted theft he says is the reason for the damage.

What about this Honda Vision NCS50 from 2012 with 23 000 km on the clock? Seller asks €1000.

Honda is always solid, go for it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'll contact the seller and ask for some more more details. I'm leaving town for the extended jesus-weekend but if it's still for sale next week I might go look at it. If it comes to that, is there anything in particular that's scooter specific I should look into or test the function of other than obvious stuff that would be true for any motor vehicle?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Not really. Check brakes, tires, lights, indicators, etc. Does it start easily using both the electrical starter and the kick starter (if it has one)?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Ok, good. I watched a video of a guy in a labcoat sorting out the clutch and variator on a China scooter, so I think I understand how those are supposed to work and how to test them. The seller seems ok over text messaging, he's gonna look for date codes on the tires for me. There's a decent chance I'll end up buying this thing.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Is there a go-to repository for scooter service manuals? I'm riding a Sym Fiddle 4 200i that just got out of the dealer for basic service and threw a check engine light on the way home :rolleyes: Taking it to the dealer is a pain in the rear end for multiple reasons and I'd like to be able to work on it myself. It's my daily commuter so I can't really put it up on a lift for weeks on end while I screw around bolting and unbolting which is why I'm seeking out a service manual.

Google is utterly failing me. It seems that the English speaking world has barely even heard of this scooter much less has resources on it. I'd be totally fine with a Chinese version of the manual if I could just find it in the first place.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

yummycheese posted:

re: e scooters. i have a couple of ninebots and they’re as good as they get and i would still pick a ruckus or vespa of any vintage over a e-scooter any day of the week.

e-scoots are alright. but they’re not
built to last and you kinda have to be a nerd or live in a huge city that has the one repair shop if you want to get service. a 10 year old vespa will out last any e-scoot

Speaking of which, my electric Vespa has been in the shop for like 2 months trying to fix a service banner (which seems entirely cosmetic), even the legitimate Vespa dealership can’t seem to figure out how to fix the drat thing :/

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Got to give this electric conversion old Vespa a spin.

Hilariously overpowered for its size with straight garbage drum brakes. Terrifying, tbh.

10/10 don’t change a thing you’re perfect

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I bought the little Honda scooter!

Apart from my XL helmet with a protruding bluetooth blister not fitting under the seat, everything about it seemed just fine. Just scuffed up enough to not be too nice for its intended purpose, but mechanically and electrically it seemed in great shape, very little rust. Quiet and not smelly once warmed up, like I wanted. I came there by motorcycle, already overdressed for a test ride (which was way more fun than I had expected!) so I'll have to go back by public transit tomorrow and ride it home along the back streets. Looking forward to more scooting at 45 km/h :)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I went on a problem free 2 hour 85 km scoot today, bringing this little nugget to its summer home along the back roads. Mom really likes it, took it for a spin and talks about riding to various places for the fun of it. Looks like this might become a success!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Hell yeah on both counts (vespa+honda).

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

i put a trailtech tach on my ruckus a few weeks ago and it's been running great. it's kind of weird that it's on all the time but i love it so far. it'll make it really easy to adjust the idle speed when that bit of service comes around.

has anyone tried the trail tech vapor gauge? that seems really enticing due to the fuel gauge.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
So the weirdest thing about scooting when you're used to motorcycling is braking IMO. Having a brake in the left hand is no big deal, I'm used to that from bicycling. What I have to remind myself of repeatedly and therefore practice more is the bracing from the feet rather than knees/inner thighs to arrest my upper body from moving forward. It just feels so wrong, but it works well enough and it's the only way I can avoid loading up the bars a bunch with my hands.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Invalido posted:

So the weirdest thing about scooting when you're used to motorcycling is braking IMO. Having a brake in the left hand is no big deal, I'm used to that from bicycling. What I have to remind myself of repeatedly and therefore practice more is the bracing from the feet rather than knees/inner thighs to arrest my upper body from moving forward. It just feels so wrong, but it works well enough and it's the only way I can avoid loading up the bars a bunch with my hands.

Something similar that annoys me is that most bicycles have the front brake lever to the left.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Cached Money posted:

Something similar that annoys me is that most bicycles have the front brake lever to the left.

When I started riding motos I changed the brakes over on all my bikes so the front is on the right. Honestly I think it caused me more confusion than it avoided, having to un-learn decades of ingrained muscle memory, also every pedal bike I borrow is backwards now. I heard or read somewhere that some countries put bicycle brakes front-right like is good and proper but I don't know the truth of it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Invalido posted:

When I started riding motos I changed the brakes over on all my bikes so the front is on the right. Honestly I think it caused me more confusion than it avoided, having to un-learn decades of ingrained muscle memory, also every pedal bike I borrow is backwards now. I heard or read somewhere that some countries put bicycle brakes front-right like is good and proper but I don't know the truth of it.

On my last bicycle I moved the brake lever over to the right, it makes more sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Invalido posted:

I heard or read somewhere that some countries put bicycle brakes front-right like is good and proper but I don't know the truth of it.

as usual this is a USA vs rest of the world thing.

rest of the world puts the front brake lever on the right, because it's the most effective brake so you should control it with your dominant hand.

USA puts the front brake lever on the left, because it's the layer dan lever and you should only be grabbing it in an emergency and if it were on the right probably someone would sue you.

(i swap my bikes over and put the front on the right)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Sweden isn't part of the rest of the world in that case, cause all bicycles sold here is front brake on the left hand.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Invalido posted:

Sweden isn't part of the rest of the world in that case, cause all bicycles sold here is front brake on the left hand.

Yeah, I'm Swedish too and that's the way they always are.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

rest of the world puts the front brake lever on the right, because it's the most effective brake so you should control it with your dominant hand.

Sagebrush posted:

(i swap my bikes over and put the front on the right)

I hope you feel embarrassed about this

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Sagebrush posted:

USA puts the front brake lever on the left

What the gently caress

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

my '85 yamaha puts the rear brake on a right-side foot pedal, which i find quite comfy but i assume there's a reason they don't do that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not dead yet posted:

I hope you feel embarrassed about this

Why? I prefer it this way