Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Misc posted:

my '85 yamaha puts the rear brake on a right-side foot pedal, which i find quite comfy but i assume there's a reason they don't do that anymore.

As an 87 elite 150 owner I will say it makes bracing a bit awkward as there is no tank to grip with my legs.

Especially when stopping fast and trying to not lock the rear wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I think the reason why old Japanese scooters are like that is so that you can drive them with one hand.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Cached Money posted:

I think the reason why old Japanese scooters are like that is so that you can drive them with one hand.

Are you talking about.... uh... I'm trying to think of a vehicle-situated job that often requires one hand free. Mail delivery person? loving scooter hitman (scooter iai slash)? Is there something popular in Japan that would have made this preferable?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Smoking cigarettes man

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Honestly I find one handed riding terrifying. What if something unexpected happens and I need to take decisive action? I wouldn't want to brake or turn hard with just one hand on the bar. I'm sure you could learn how to do it with practice but I've never practices this so it might just end with me crashing.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Something Awful User Fretting About Decisive Action isn't the typical user most scooters were designed and built for

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Cached Money posted:

I think it’s just carryover from motorcycles and older manual scooters. It would have been a more familiar control scheme to most people.

My follow up baseless theory is that moving the rear brake to the handlebars freed up the floorboards for setting cargo.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Slide Hammer posted:

Are you talking about.... uh... I'm trying to think of a vehicle-situated job that often requires one hand free. Mail delivery person? loving scooter hitman (scooter iai slash)? Is there something popular in Japan that would have made this preferable?

What I heard is that it was for delivery men, so that they had a free hand for holding on to stuff. I think the same logic was applied to the Honda Super Cub as well (no clutch lever, but still has a foot brake).

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I used to get a cup of coffee and ride home with it in my hand

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hi pals,

Im a stupid idiot moron with a dumb face, and I can't figure out how to get the seat open on an old 1985 honda elite 150 I bought that's been sitting a couple years. I'm trying to drain the gas and charge the battery.

I'm in buttfuck nowhere so no videos, and I can't find an answer to save my life, user manual included.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

seat latch is on the tail end of the scooter, under the rear rack / helmet case

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would guess the latch is keyed as well?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

you'd guess correctly

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hey i forgot to say thanks, I didn't think with the battery dead the key would matter, live and learn!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Took my Royal Alloy on one of the twisty roads near here on a lark and did it at about the same speed on a 150 scooter as I do on my Bonneville T120.

Mostly because it couldn’t go any faster.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Geekboy posted:

Took my Royal Alloy on one of the twisty roads near here on a lark and did it at about the same speed on a 150 scooter as I do on my Bonneville T120.

Mostly because it couldn’t go any faster.

How do you like the royal alloy? The Genuine dealership here has some out and they looked neat.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I really love it. It’s a bit form over function since it doesn’t have any storage, but that gives you an excuse to put racks and cute bags and poo poo on it.

It’s a Chinese scooter and I know that brings all those reliability questions, but the warranty is good, I like my dealer (at this point we have a member of the household working there), and the only issue I ever had was with the trip odometer and they fixed without a problem.

Even with my peek behind the curtain at the shop, they’re not the scooters they complain about having to fix for weird reasons.

2500+ miles on mine. I still think it’s fun as hell and the only times it won’t start are when I’ve left the kickstand down or thought I flipped the kill switch, but didn’t.. It’d have more miles than that, but I am still in the honeymoon phase with my Bonneville.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

What up folks! I've been out of 2 wheeled stuff for about 10 years after I had my first kid. In the past, I used to ride old Vespas mainly (66 Smally, 67 GS, 79P, 03 Stella). My wife gave me the go ahead to get a new bike, so I've been looking to see what's out there. THe vintage stuff seems like it's dried up a lot, but I remember the GTs being hot poo poo for modern Vespas when they came out. I found a couple locally that look ok; are there any known issues or pitfalls with the mid 00's ones?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

you can't beat the european styling of a vespa, stella et al, but the market is still very friendly for vintage japanese scooters. or at least that's the case here in the midwest. if my yamaha was stolen today, i could have another just like it in my garage tomorrow for less than a grand.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, I meant more vintage Italian but wouldn't say no to an old Helix so I could cruise around like budget Akira.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone know the specs for a Royal Alloy 150 battery? Like basically can I just buy one off the shelf? There's one locally for a steal but needs a batt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A 12 volt battery that fits in the battery hole will work

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Raaaad, thanks. This thing legit has 315 miles on it and dude is *asking* 1800. Think I'm gonna jump on it.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
You will be cool, you will be a badass, and you'll be happy (until it breaks).

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/leesburg-honda-metruck-metropolitan/7661081707.html

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Raaaad, thanks. This thing legit has 315 miles on it and dude is *asking* 1800. Think I'm gonna jump on it.

I enjoy the poo poo out of mine, but I have been told that when you’re replacing the battery in them you can arc it super easy and you could fry the harness. Make sure they didn’t and that you don’t.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

T Zero posted:

You will be cool, you will be a badass, and you'll be happy (until it breaks).

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/leesburg-honda-metruck-metropolitan/7661081707.html

Yeah I kinda love that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ruckopolitan :colbert:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Geekboy posted:

I enjoy the poo poo out of mine, but I have been told that when you’re replacing the battery in them you can arc it super easy and you could fry the harness. Make sure they didn’t and that you don’t.

How would you even do that? Hitting the terminals on the body I guess?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’ve never had to gently caress with the battery, so I really don’t know. The main mechanic at the shop where our partner works has just seen it happen often enough to mention it.

This could be a case of a very specific dumbass not learning from the first time they did something, but if I can share something that could help a fellow goon I’m gonna.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Geekboy posted:

I’ve never had to gently caress with the battery, so I really don’t know. The main mechanic at the shop where our partner works has just seen it happen often enough to mention it.

This could be a case of a very specific dumbass not learning from the first time they did something, but if I can share something that could help a fellow goon I’m gonna.

Of course! Very much appreciated. Weather and the remnants of a hurricane conspired against me yesterday so I wasn’t able to pick it up. Maybe today depending.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

How would you even do that? Hitting the terminals on the body I guess?

This and not having the habit of detaching the negative/ground first which makes it impossible to do that.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Has anyone bought an NIU scooter? How are they? They seem interesting.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Richard Bong posted:

Has anyone bought an NIU scooter? How are they? They seem interesting.

I bought an electric NIU - you can look for my posts in this thread and the electric scooter thread about it - but long story short it was factory recalled within three months of me purchasing it, dealer bought it back because NIU didn’t have a solution, and I bought a gas SYM and never looked back. My understanding is they eventually figured out how to fix it but by then it had been months since the recall. IIRC the issues (plural!) involved sudden loss of power while driving and a tendency for the rear end to shake itself apart.

The electric was fun but hoo boy it was Chinese-manufactured as all hell. Can’t speak for the gas models but it didn’t leave me with a great impression of the brand. Genuine, the US distributor, at least did right by me and my dealer.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

csammis posted:

I bought an electric NIU - you can look for my posts in this thread and the electric scooter thread about it - but long story short it was factory recalled within three months of me purchasing it, dealer bought it back because NIU didn’t have a solution, and I bought a gas SYM and never looked back. My understanding is they eventually figured out how to fix it but by then it had been months since the recall. IIRC the issues (plural!) involved sudden loss of power while driving and a tendency for the rear end to shake itself apart.

The electric was fun but hoo boy it was Chinese-manufactured as all hell. Can’t speak for the gas models but it didn’t leave me with a great impression of the brand. Genuine, the US distributor, at least did right by me and my dealer.

Well that’s unfortunate.

It seems like the electric scooters aren’t really there yet in the cost/performance category yet.

I’d like an electric, but my options seem to be NIU which apparently has the classic Chinese QC issues. Basically it might be bulletproof or it might be permanently broken, but you don’t know which one you’re getting.

Or

Vespa which is $8k for a 125cc equivalent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This guy delivers Uber eats on an electric scooter and seems to have good luck with his. Anyone ever heard of NIU?

https://niu.uk.com/nqi-gts-cargo/

https://youtu.be/1mAM8V6u6VA?si=1ODndaRcbiEgfyVf

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Anyone ever heard of NIU?

Yes, see the three posts before yours

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Our partner who works in a scooter/Royal Enfield dealer and used to own a bicycle shop for a decade (closed because he was tired, not because he "failed") is that the electric scooters are great! But they're expensive and you get way more scooter for way less money going gas. The price ratio just isn't even close yet.

It seems to still be in the "paid too much early adopter" stage.

For now, cheap gas scooters or an ebike are probably the most economical options. I think it's kind of hard to tell when the tipping point will happen unless it's forced because the existing options are so cheap and easy to make.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

csammis posted:

Yes, see the three posts before yours

I am very good at reading and reading comprehension

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
A cursory googling says Shanghai banned gas scooters outright in 2016 for air quality reasons and I would assume a bunch of other Chinese cities are the same, so probably there's a lot of mature designs over there that work great but never go on export. I once saw a clip somewhere from Hong Kong maybe where they had a system for swappable scooter batteries, it looked neat. I don't think China would be a wonderful place to live and I've never been there, but they seem to take scooting pretty seriously as a country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have ridden NIU scooters a bunch since they are the rent-by-the-hour option here. I had the “sudden power loss” happen to me, but I was at a stop. I didn’t know it happened since no engine sound. I picked my feet up when the light turned green and nearly fell over. My toilet paper fell off the floor board. Truly a disaster.

Invalido posted:

I once saw a clip somewhere from Hong Kong maybe where they had a system for swappable scooter batteries, it looked neat.

At least some of the NIU models have this. The rental ones are kind of terrible honestly, but I wonder if that’s because they’re rentals? An electric scooter makes sense to me, but they’re still way too expensive.