Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I've had a ruckus (zoomer) for a few years and I really couldn't recommend them, not for the current asking price: €2350 when bought a few years go, €2700 now - same as the entry level motorcycle honda sell here (cbf 125 I think). It's just not worth it for a 50cc scooter, and in this case you KNOW you're paying through the nose for a steel frame and a tiny engine, because that's pretty much what the ruckus is.

Even after putting in a polini kit sans air filter I can barely get 35mph out of it on a regular basis. Don't buy one unless the aesthetic is really worth that much or you're determined you're going to be putting it sideways on a regular basis.

That said, someone tell me all about Italjet and put me off tracking down a Dragster/Formula. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Only 35mph, really? I rode an '04 Metro for a couple years, which has the same engine, and it consistently did 37-38 unmodified. And apparently they made little changes to that engine (in both the Metro and the Ruck) in '06 that yielded 43mph for most people.

But scooters are literally never a good deal compared to motorcycles. Not ever. You can always get more displacement for your dollar.

I've read that in the case of the Zoomer, the FI system it uses instead of carburettor is the reason they tend to be slower. The second thing is a surprise to me though; Apart from vespa/lml, I've always held the opposite perspective.

Still, even taking that into account, if prices for the Ruckus are equivalent to what the Zoomer is here, you simply don't get enough for the money to justify the cost.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

nobody has any opinion on the Dragster as per my last post? It's a mostly euro scooter, but I thought you lot would love it. It's like an Elite that lost a load of weight. I'm strongly considering getting one, but I'm having to weigh against reliability and parts issues that it's going to entail (and the difficulty of getting rid of the zoomer)

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

titanium posted:

My roommates nice Formula50

Click for high rez!

I didn't manage to get my hands on a dragster, but I've got a 125 version of one of these on the way. World's only twin-cylinder production scooter. It should be brilliant (until it breaks down, irreparably). It's such a shame Italjet were bought out and desecrated.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

open24hours posted:

Nah, the Honda Silverwing, Yamaha T-Max, Gilera GP800, and the Triumph Tigress all have twins. There are probably others I'm forgetting.

aww...but what about hub steering

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

I've been doing more reading on the F125 and, jesus loving christ, I didn't do enough research by half. These things are apparently worse to keep on the road than chinese trash. :(

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

the Formula 125 I bought barely a month ago and have done less than a hundred miles on now has a centre stand with a snapped foot, a worn vario (ringing noise at idle), and a rubber hose hanging from underneath the chassis :(

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

you will remain happy so long as you quickly come to accept you will never ever see the far end of that speedometer unless you cram a 150 honda clone engine into the frame.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

First: grats!!

Helmet-wise, it's personal choice, but I am a 100% believer in full-face helmets. A LOT of impacts happen in the face region. Color is up to you. White is pretty visible, but there are day-glo/hi-viz helmets that are even moreso. You can get a good FF helmet for under $100. Go to a dealership and try on a bunch until you find one that fits comfortably. The Bike Gear Thread here and information at https://www.webbikeworld.com can help guide a helmet purchase.

Use whatever gas Genuine recommends. Grade (as in octane) only matters if the engine requires it. If you put 92 in an engine that calls for 87, you won't see any benefit. If you put 87 in an engine that calls for 92, you can get pinging/predetonation and bad things can happen.

stuff personal choice. If you're not wearing full-face, you may as well not wear anything. That impact diagram in the old gear thread showed something like 30% likelihood of having your face taking a hit in a crash (more than any other region iirc). Plus bugs and cold and rain etc. There is literally no good reason to wear a brain bucket.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

200ST could do it well, without being an ugly as hell maxi-scooter :whatup:

probably don't have any dealers in america sorry

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Everyone post pics of their scooters:

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

€1200. It's the 125 version though. Still ridiculous given I could've gotten an F125 for half that if I'd gone further abroad, but it's so hard to find running ones that don't have something wrong with them, and this one was immaculate and also I had to have it

They're notoriously bad for breaking down. I hope your roomate's problem turns out to be something simple.