Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I don't know but I want to put it on the bottom of the belly pan when i get my next trackbike, so when I'm leaned over in a corner you can read it :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can host images for free on https://www.waffleimages.com. Only works on SA :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd rock the poo poo out of that, even if all that's left of the previous rider is some woman's footwear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The third wheel won't help like you think it will, the bikes don't hold themselves up. The wheels tilt, so the bike still leans like a regular scooter when you're riding. There is a lever that locks the wheels, but it's not the sort of thing you do at every stoplight, more like to park.

quote:

The control layout of the Piaggio MP3 is a little different than other scooters because it includes a front end lock. On the right side control there is a button to lock the front end when at a stop. The mechanism only engages at very low speeds (near to stopping) and when the butterfly valve is closed and the engine is running below 3000 RPMs. With the mechanism engaged, one can sit at a stop with out having one's feet on the ground. The mechanism can be disengaged with the switch OR it will automatically disengage once the scooter is moving at low speeds. The factory specifications say that the auto-disengage kicks in at 9 MPH, but it seemed to me to happen at even lower speeds.

If you wanted to use it, it seems like you could use it at every stop light. I'd just put my foot down because fiddling with a switch every time seems like a bit of a pain. The 500 should easily be capable of freeway speeds.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Of all the different kinds of people that ride, one group in particular never wave back at me on the road. Hardcore Harley 1% riders with vests and chaps? Nope. Squids on brand new CB1000RR's with shorts and flip flops? Nope. 70 year old grandpas on Goldwings? Nope.

It's these drat scooter riders. Not a single one waves back to me. I don't know if they're just plain dumb newbs, if they think I'm mocking them, or if they're just retardedly elite. I ride a clapped out 1994 CBR painted flat black, so it's not like I look particularly high and mighty.

Use the newb wave for scooters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloT-TahbiQ#t=0m45s
:haw:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Melicious posted:

In other news, I drove to work the other day and then unexpectedly ended up needing to trade vehicles with my boyfriend. This meant that I rode the scooter home wearing my boyfriend's jacket and helmet over a knee-length chiffon dress and heels. It was... cold. And I'm glad I didn't crash.

This is standard attire for scoot riders in santa barbara. Minus the jacket. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

No way a MSF will remove idiots from the streets. What really makes me sad is that the missing helmet didn't work out in this case.

That was more a "I have no clue what the gently caress I'm doing on something with 2 wheels" kind of idiocy. The fixable with MSF kind. Foot down cornering, target fixation, etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is it a security torx? You can pick up a set of them for around 10$ at your local autoshop.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Could also just be loose battery terminals! Sometimes they don't get tightened down properly and some jarring will knock them loose.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Water and cold will definitely reduce the effectiveness of brakes until they get up to temperature. Ride careful until you know how much braking power you have and how much traction you have. If you'd like to warm them up quicker, lightly dragging the brake while you're cruising along will help bring them up to temp as soon as possible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frunksock posted:

Thank you .. I'm more looking for background / recommendations on electric bicycles rather than electric motorcycles, though -- i.e., something that can do like 15mph with a 15 mile range that I can pick up easily.

My experience with electrics is that they're heavy and the batteries don't last nearly long enough, so you end up huffing it up hills anyways because you've drained the batteries.

I'd probably say you're better off with a normal bicycle and some saddlebags with a change of clothes. If it was a shorter commute, then a high end electric bike might be able to make it all the way there, but for 15 miles I don't think you're going to have much luck, especially if you have a bunch of hills.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frunksock posted:

It's about a 10 mile round-trip commute, I just said 15 to have a little leeway. But yeah, it's San Francisco, and I live in the highest part of the city and work at sea level, so it's not the distance so much as it's the elevation changes that has me looking at e-bikes.

I've been reading a lot about them since I posted, and the ones I've been looking at (Sanyo, Karkhoff, and OHM) all seem to be able to do at least 20 miles and that's at maximum assist with hills and what not. I think 5-10 miles even with San Francisco hills should be reliably doable. They also don't seem crazy heavy .. 45 - 55lb. The only thing really giving me pause at this point is the cost, which I can afford, but still, it's a lot of money. There's a shop here that does test rides of a couple of the bigger-name models, so I think that's my next step.

Which ones do you have experience with?

Only some of the older ones, the E-Go and one that my parents have that I can't recall the name of.

I'm used to road bike weights, so 45-55 pounds seems really heavy to me. I also find them sort of uncomfortable, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I'm sort of naturally biased against them. It's quite possible that the technology has advanced significantly since the ones I've ridden. A decent length test ride will tell you for sure if it'll work for you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trident posted:

Picked up my Kymco Super8 150 yesterday. It was 44 degrees. Freaking cold ride home. But let me tell you, there is a world of difference between this and my old Ruckus. I was always defending how the Ruckus was a real motor vehicle, but now I really feel like it was just a toy that gave me a bad first impression of riding. On the Ruck I was always crawling up hills, barely getting up to 38-40mph on flat straightaways, it made me nervous in traffic. The Super8 is amazing. I can get up to 45 in seconds. I can cruise around at 50 with ease. I can climb hills and still be accelerating when it gets to 45. And the stability is amazing. A+ would buy again.

Congrats on the bike! If you can, though, ride a full size motorcycle..it's the same sort of step up from a scooter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trident posted:

I surely will, when CVT motorcycles are in the same price range as manuals. For now I will continue to enjoy my leisurely scoot through woods and past lakes 22 miles of back roads to and from work each day.

That sounds like an awesome commute, like it was made for a scoot.

On this note, I have a question for the scooter crowd:

How do gripshift scooters work? Is it like a clutchless dirtbike or something else entirely?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh I was wondering how much Skier paid :shobon:

I do recall them being surprisingly expensive though!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

its like lava posted:

I let a german dude ride my MP3 last night, he said it was more fun than he had on his ducati.

=V

I really, really want to try riding one of those. Seems like they'd just be so fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Went to Moto-Scoot Milwaukees rally this weekend, and it was awesome. No dickwaving at all, which is a refreshing change from the bike meets I've been to.

I feel like I should get into scooters just to avoid unwanted dickwaving contests.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

^ If I was an rear end, I would emptyquote that poo poo so you-know-who could see/comment on it. :twisted:

Oh come on he's all about the dickwaving contests.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd probably give installation a try at least. If it adds more top end, great, if not, it's pretty easy to swap back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

bjobjoli posted:

I've got a pressing issue here...

I was looking to buy my first scooter (a Yamaha Majesty 400, for those who are curious) and found a pretty good deal: $1500 for a practically brand new one, 5k miles and never dropped.The catch? The guy is located in Montana and wants to ship it over here. Fishy right? The anti-catch? He's a Master Sergeant in the air force who has records online of his identity, so I'm sure he is who he says he is. Moreover, he's offering to ship it over to me in CA on a military cargo plane/truck.

He's also offering to do the transaction through Ebay, but as far as I know, you can only set up auctions there and not a private transaction like he's offering.

I think my eagerness for this bike may be clouding my judgment, but I may go through with it in a few days. My pressing concern is, why would he sell it here and not locally?

Thoughts?

Because he's a scammer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

What happens if you lean an mp3 over far enough to lift the outside wheel? Is that even possible?

My guess is it starts understeering/pushing the front as the scoot doesn't enough traction once the second wheel goes away, so it pushes until the second wheel touches down again, regains traction, and basically just understeers like crazy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Huh, I would think it would just wash out and go down at that point.

I don't think they can really "wash out" because there's so much contact patch on the front end. Plus it's a trike so while the front can get way out of line, it's not going to increase lean angle in any meaningful way.

I'd love to play around with one and see just how stupid you have to get to crash one. Sadly, I haven't found anyone who's willing to loan me an MP3 yet to act like a hooligan on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Maybe we're on different wavelengths here.

The MP3 is the one with three wheels that actually does lean like a bike, right?

If so, say you're turning right, and leaning right, after a certain lean angle, the left tire should lift up, leaving you severely leaned over on a tire thats right of center.

Which in my mind would make it wash out, but who knows.

Hrm, you're right...I assumed that because it has 2 wheels in the front, it'd try and lift the inside wheel like a car, but that doesn't really make sense when you're adding lean angle. So maybe it would wash out? I don't know.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

An observer posted:

All that money you spend on parachute accounts to tug on your own dick could be used for advanced MSF lessons, or maybe a track day. So you could, you know, learn how to turn.

He doesn't need to learn to turn...he needs to learn to twist the throttle better so he doesn't lose to civics on the freeway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That pipe is so adorable. If it drinks it's milk one day it might grow up to be a works yoshimura pipe :3:

Scoot looks good too!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I saw the WPC stuff before but didn't realize it was that good. Curious to see if you notice any major differences with the WPC coating after assembly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There's no pressure on that side of the MC so as long as it's watertight you're good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

On a lark, I just signed up to get started with these guys http://www.scootnetworks.com/

after riding around today and seeing a bunch of little red scooters lined up like a bikeshare station. That's basically what it is -- electric scooter rentals that work like bike rentals or zipcars, with a flexible sharing strategy where you sign one out with your iPhone then just park them at a station anywhere around the city when you're done. A little more complex than bike-sharing (you need to go through their orientation) but not as much as a zipcar (you don't need to actually have a motorcycle license). Apparently I'm now in their "beta" program, whatever that means in this context.

Seems like a smart idea and also a terrifying one. Granted the scooters only go up to about 30 miles an hour, but I've learned to give zipcars a very wide berth, so I can imagine it only gets worse when you get people with no 2-wheel experience whatsoever trying to share the road on an unfamiliar vehicle. But I figured hey, never ridden a scooter before, let's give it a shot.

What do you think of that company and their business plan? Think it'll take off, or make the roll but stall out and crash, or just explode inside the hangar?

All I think is that it's you bastids taking my parking spots in soma!

It seems like a cool idea though, especially for people like me who might want to cruise around the city yet not deal with cabs and other BS. I think their success really depends on their ability to interface with/be a part of the biking community locally.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'll only look like a dork if you don't ride around dragging knee everywhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Looks like an airbox vent / drain. Should just hang out there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Would it be normal for there to be two vent/drains in an airbox? There's a drain at the bottom of the box as well, which makes good sense.

I sure am learning a lot by taking this thing apart!

Could also be a carb or gas tank drain/ overflow. But yes, some will have 2, one pre-filter and one post filter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Probably need the carb cleaned too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Does it have a full tank of fresh gas? Start with fresh gas and a good battery first, always.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ABS and traction control, rad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Figure out if your bike has a 2t oil pump or not, that will determine if you need to premix or if you can just keep the oil tank topped up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh yes. Oh yes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Someone has to have the picture of the 5 wheeled MP3 floating around somewhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wizard of Smart posted:

So there's this scooter for sale on craigslist, and I want to look into reviews of the specific model. Problem is, the description lists it as a "scooter/moped" and doesn't list make or model. Here are a couple of pictures, if any of you kind goons can help me identify the bike.

Sorry about picture quality, I'm working with what I've got.

It says super moto on the side, clearly it's a KTM 690 SMC a giant pile of poo poo you should run away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They are bullshit - most people are saved by the fact that modern tires are pretty well balanced from the factory.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 29, 2014