Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007

PhragHG posted:

Anyone look at the Honda PCX? I'm thinking about replacing my car with a scooter once the lease is up and it looks like a decent alternative to the Blur but I know very little about scooters firsthand.

Only 125cc vs 220cc on the Blur, slightly cheaper at $3399 vs $3899, but I figure the Honda will have an edge in reliability (liquid cooled) and probably practicality.

I do live in California. I was wondering if the extra 100ccs to make sure my primary transportation is highway legal is worth it. My gut feeling is that I wouldn't want to be on an interstate in California without being surrounded by steel anyways.

Here's a picture in case anyone else is interested.

I was under the impression that anything below 250cc wasn't highway legal in CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
I picked up an 86 Elite 150d a while back. Day I brought it home -

The ride home was interesting. No blinkers, terrible tires and more than one of the panels was held on with duct tape. Duct tape spray painted blue of course, because nothing shows your determination never to fix something than painting over the tape you half-assed it together with. Starts on occasion at this point. Brake lights work but the housing is destroyed.

Deconstruction begins -

The starting problem couldn't have been easier to fix. There's a little cylinder with a rear brake switch under the floor boards. If that switch is adjusted too loose it wont make contact and the starter circuit won't complete. Twisted the cylinder a little tighter and boom, starts right up. Did some basic maintenance at this point but mechanically its been taken care of really well.

Stuff starts going back on -

I put some halogens on, but they're pretty overkill, the pop up headlight works fine. They jiggle like a motherfucker too.

Took the rear turn signals off, fixed the wiring, flipped them left to right and upside down and bolted them back on. I couldn't salvage the brake light so some trailer lights will have to do for now. New tires just got here but I have to find someone willing to put them on.

So far it's been a blast. It moves around pretty well, it's super comfortable and it gets about 80mpg. I've actually been riding my Ninja less since I got the Elite. The only big thing that's been bugging me is the exhaust. There's a hole in the muffler and it sounds ridiculous. I might just have a patch welded in, but does anyone make aftermarket exhausts for these things?

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007

Friggin Joe posted:

Every now and then a scooter will get attention from a stranger in a parking lot. That's cool.
What annoys me though, is the occasional closing comment along the lines of "it's good for around he block."

Your damned feet are good for around the block.
Scooters are good for commuting when all you gotta carry is you and a few small things.
"Scooter" apparently means toy to not take seriously regardless of your traveling requirements, size or displacement of the scooter, whereas even a 125cc Motorcycle is series bidniss.
Granted it is a toy, but a useful as hell toy. :P

I'd call inner-city travel on a 50cc or suburban commuting on a 125+cc smart, but wtf do I know.

That's a pretty silly thing to get bitter over. Stop caring if people in parking lots take you seriously and enjoy your scooter.