Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
A friend is offering me a 2002 Aprilia SR50 with the Ditech Morini engine. It's got 10k miles on it but has current registration. My friend has ridden it for a while but not daily.

For $1k, is it a pretty good deal? 10,000 miles seems awfully high for a scooter and Aprilia looks to be more expensive to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Been working on my friend's 87 Honda Elite 80 lately. He bought it for $500 thinking all it needed was a new battery but turns out, the exhaust had snapped at the header and the valves were off. I cleaned the carburetor and it was pretty gummed up but it's now been cleaned out 3 times or so. I adjusted the valves and it started right up even with no exhaust. I realized I live just 30 minutes north of Battle Scooter so we picked up an exhaust from them as well as a new air filter and jets. Put in a new sparkplug and changed the jet from an 88 to a 92.

Well, it ran really well, idled perfectly and I thought it was a done deal. It would start right up, accelerate nicely from 0-20 and then a flat spot but it would go all the way to 43mph. However, I started noticing whenever he revved it at a light that it would pour out white smoke. I figured it was just some seafoam in the engine or the exhaust breaking in? Who knows.

Anyway, he was riding it yesterday and it died. I went to go check it out today and work on it in a nearby parking lot. The valves seemed a little bit too tight so I loosened them, checked the sparkplug and it looked fine but my friend said he cleaned it off yesterday but it was dark so he couldn't see what it looked like then. The battery which is brand new was put on a charger overnight and it shows up at 12.8v I've tried squirting some starter fluid into the sparkplug hole but it still won't start. The fan is turning over and I am getting spark. What should I do next?

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Just picked up a 2005 Zuma 50cc for $400. The previous previous owner installed a 70cc kit and pipe and the previous owner seized it going 55mph. Now, the previous owner just so happens to have worked with my old motorcycle tech instructor at the same shop. PO bought a brand new crankshaft, gasket set, and Malossi 70cc kit with a 2-ring piston. The tires are in good condition and the only things besides rebuild the top end are change the transmission fluid and replace the front brakepad. Along with the 70cc kit, the previous owner also installed a Airsal stage 2 pipe, 19mm Delorto carb, Athena variator, and Malossi 3 shoe clutch

Typical me. 2 broken scooters in my own room. Yes, I had to carry them up the stairs.
And an hour later...

Now, I pulled the plug and it's a textbook example of a perfectly running plug. No oil whatsoever and a perfect cappuccino colour throughout. Then I looked at the head, good condition and then the piston and cylinder. The piston doesn't look melted and the crankshaft looks good. The cylinder wall is scored along the exhaust side. Now, the PO for some reason didn't want to rebuild the top end even though he had the experience and the parts. When I looked through the box of parts he gave me, I found all the stock parts including exhaust and carburetor. And then I found another Athena 70cc kit that has never been used. and the beautiful Malossi kit.

Here's the stock piston on the left, seized 70cc Athena, brand new 70cc Athena, and a brand new 70cc Malossi piston.

Now I've recently been reading up on WPC treatments that can be done to various components and I want to try it out on the piston to avoid another rebuild. A couple friends of mine told me to delete the oil injection system but various forums and mechanics have remarked on how reliable the injection system; can anybody else provide input on this? I still can't figure out why the piston seized since the crankshaft looks fine and rotates smoothly, no bits of metal anywhere other than the top of the seized piston and the reeds look fine.

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 7, 2012

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

M4rg4r1ne posted:

The oil injection was not set up to handle the extra amount of fuel and oil that a 70cc piston and pipe combination will consume. Some swear by adding oil to the gas tank, but that can just make you run leaner.

Ditch the oil injection, pull the pump, plug the port in the carburetor, and run 32:1 premix or whatever. Also the previous owner may have had too small of a main jet in the carburetor, being as it seized at 55MPH, which is basically full throttle.

I'm leaning towards the oil problem as the plug is perfect.

On another note, I sent out the Malossi cylinder block(Top end, whatever you want to call it), piston, piston rings, and wrist pin to WPC treatment in Torrance today. After that, cylinder head and piston crown are going to get a thermal coating. Coupled with running premix, I think I may be set.

edit:

Now I am having second thoughts on replacing the crank as it may not make a difference at all... I shall see.

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 10, 2012

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Whoo the top end is back... Waiting on a new Malossi Gasket and wristpin cage bearing.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That WPC treatment sounds interesting. Do you know much about it? How much did it cost?

I mostly heard about it from here: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/17/special-treatment-part-1-all-you-wanted-to-know-about-wpc.aspx

And then this article sold me on it.
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2033/wpc-treatmemt-saved-our-engine.aspx
The fact that the valvetrain was oil starved and all the parts were basically reusable gave me a good idea on how it might help in a 2-stroke situation. Basically it creates microdimples on the surface which help retain lubricants. Just sliding the wristpin into the piston and having it fall out the other side with no help except gravity shows just how smooth the surface is now.

As far as cost, it was relatively cheap in my eyes for the benefits. Here is a run down on what it cost me:
Piston(47mm) $25.00
Piston rings $5.00/each x2=$10.00
Piston pin $5.00
Cylinder block $60.00

In the end with shipping both ways and insurance, it was about $120 total. Shipped out on Monday afternoon, got it back Tuesday the following week.

Got a Malossi Wristpin cage bearing and new air filter today. At the expense of my VFR failing to start right outside the shop...

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Took all of Friday off to work on the Zuma. So on Thursday, I stopped by Treatland (Goddamn I love living in San Francisco!) to pick up a new wristpin bearing, sparkplug, and air filter. Took the time to clean off all the parts in soapy water before drying them and spraying them with a healthy coat of WD40. Then I took apart the carburetor and soaked the jets in carb cleaner overnight. Reassembled with a new gasket for the slide assembly and put on a new air filter. Following that, put on the Malossi CF reeds on the reedcage.

So basically took off all of Friday to work on the scooter and putting it back together. Wiped down the engine parts for a final inspection. Went out to get a new YTX5L-BS gel cell battery. Slathered the cylinder walls, piston, rings, wristpin and crankshaft in Yamalube. The wristpin circlips were a bit difficult to get in and I almost lost one but after a few tries, I was able to devise a method to get the clips in with no hassle. Got the top end on with no issues, used a syringe to drench the crankshaft in more Yamalube. I didn't have a torque wrench that read accurately below 10lb/ft so I torqued everything down to feel. Got the engine back in and enough body panels to ride around on. Plugged all the connectors together and did some minor cable rerouting (Probably the most difficult part of this build :doh: ). After that, drained the old gas and old oil. Put in some fresh 91 from Chevron and Yamalube. Bled the oil pump while I was doing this.

Squirted some starter fluid inside the cylinder and put an NGK BR8HS plug in. First kick, nothing. Took out the plug and it was covered in oil. Cleaned it off and put it back in. Started on the first kick. Went for an hour long ride with varying amounts of throttle although I want to say I never hit WOT. She sounds really good and pulls hard from 10mph and on. Looking through the box of parts he gave me, I think I may also have a higher final drive as I found the stock one in a ziplock bag. I also found a brand new Contra spring from Malossi so I guess that will be going in. Haven't fussed with the carburetor settings too much and the plug looks good.

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 23, 2012

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
^I'm sure if you just ask a motorcycle shop/mechanic, they'll have a bunch laying around from old batteries, I know I do. They come with every battery I have bought.

Beautiful weather to have a scooter in. Over the 4/20 "holiday", Golden Gate Park was packed. Random people walking all over the place and around my neighborhood. Having a super loud 2-stroke scooter to filter through traffic was awesome.

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Okay, integrating the turn signals on the Zuma was too easy. I am assuming that overseas non-north american models also have them integrated into the rear tail lamp...

Literally remove tail lamp, drill 2 holes, remove light fixture from turn signal, cut to size and put everything back together. Bought some orange covers from Taiwan to make them look stock.