Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008
TylerC, I must say the robotic and angular looks of your '80s scooters are really starting to grow on me.

You'll see the occasional Beluga, Elite or Lead on Vancouver craigslist (usually for a pittance) and it's just so tempting to grab one. I guess I should get rid of the Dio first.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I almost always wave to scooterists even when they're on Chinese bikes and unlikely to return it.

Not really understanding the hate on Chinese scooters.

I wouldn't recommend one to a total noob but they can be a pretty good deal for anyone is willing to do a proper pdi (pre-destination inspection) and knows a set of spanners from their own rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've heard some funny things about their fit and finish but they seem to be reliable. I don't know if they come with the same warranty as the rest of their lineup.

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008

Ampersand-e posted:

Having a 2 stroke, do I have to worry about the "up to 10% ethanol" gas and my oil mixing properly or is it just E85 that I should keep away from? I've had my Rattler for a little over a year and haven't had a problem except for the occasional backfire (which is cool as hell) but is there something I need to be doing to prevent future problems?

In my region, premium fuel (91-94 AKI) usually doesn't have ethanol added.

It may be unnecessary to use fuel of such a high rating but it's insurance for getting pure petrol.

Does anyone know exactly how ethanol wrecks engines? Do they just carbon up faster?

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008
It probably wreaks havoc on the crank seals among other things.

I'm glad you told me about this. I recently put a tank of regular in the Dio. Won't be doing that again.

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008
^^^

You should have asked them how much horsepower their push-bikes had.

Nate Falls posted:

I tried to play "How much beer fits inside Nate's new scooter?", but I don't have enough beer to fill it. I'm guessing it'll hold at least 36 cans of beer if I ever have that many on hand:

I always thought these resembled ice coolers with wheels and with a capacity of 36, it'll be put to good use. They seem pretty fast on the straights. How are they on hills?

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008
Supposedly, it's going to have better emissions and more power. I guess it isn't that surprising considering the 2t is based on a half decade old design. It should be interesting.

Test ride both when they come out and decide if emissions and fuel efficiency are more important to you than price, noise, and soul.:smug:

http://2strokebuzz.com/2009/05/07/the-new-stella-unveiled

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008
From what I gather, they seem to be more expensive to get meager gains out of them. They are, however, about as reliable as a brick so if you need it to start and run every day, grab it.

The 150cc GY6 swap is definitely a good option but other than that there's not a lot to make them any faster. You're pretty much stuck with ricing it or fabricating your own suspension mods.

If you're okay with the plastic fantastic looks and the possibility of catastrophic failure, a 2-stroke from Japan or Taiwan is relatively inexpensive to tune and mess with. You can buy big bore kits for minarelli engines (which most of them have) for as little as 100US.

With the right combination of fuel mixture, lubrication, and witchcraft, it might even be reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aguirre
Apr 22, 2008
It sounds like the the Honda Metro would be your best bet. As a general rule, the four-stroke in the Metro tends to be more reliable and lasts longer than two-stroke in the Vino.

The only drawback is that you have to change the oil in the Metro on a regular basis but you won't have to worry it not starting from a fouled spark plug like you would on a Vino.

As for smoothness, I would assume the Metro would be smoother but I don't know for sure as I haven't ridden either.

The Kymco Like is a two-stroke "like" the Vino but I'm pretty sure they have a four-stroke version on its way. They have it for sale in Taiwan already.

E: Ignore most of what I said. My information is woefully outdated.

Aguirre fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 1, 2010