Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Congratulations on your purchase! :)

clockworx posted:

I've read that non-modulars are slightly safer, but my riding will be around town at low speeds so I'm hoping to not face a catastrophic issue where it makes a difference

The biggest downside to modulars these days is weight.They're tested using the same method as non-modulars and seem to do pretty well.

Although I don't think I've ever seen a modular get 5 stars in the SHARP test, 4 seems to be the best they can do, so I guess they're marginally less safe. FWIW some of the best-selling full-face helmets score 3 or 4 stars and they still seem to work just fine saving people's noggins v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

open24hours posted:

I'm all for anything that will make scooters more popular. Hopefully it will see production.

Absolutely. Even though scooters (and bicycles) are relatively popular here, the amount of people who only ever drive their cars around town carrying no passengers nor anything heavier than a handbag is ridiculous.

Make scooters cool instead of a last resort when you're too poor to get a car and inner-city traffic will breathe a giant sigh of relief.

Our local government is dead-set on the bicycle being the only future inner-city mode of transport apart from public transport, but but you either get to work sweaty or late because you had to wait for the bus. Scooters solve that problem, and e-scooters are even better.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Blaster of Justice posted:

Not really, considering how we produce energy today, and how effective it's transported and how effective it's stored in the vehicle.

That e-vehicles are green is a really persistent myth, but reality shows a 20-30% higher CO2 imprint compared to equally effective gasoline vehicles.

But electric vehicles have one big advantage, a unified energy infrastructure. Electricity is electricity, you can move to a windmill-, nuclear- or geothermal-powered supply and it won't impact people one bit apart from reduced overall pollution, and it's much easier to put emission controls on a few big immobile powerplants than millions and millions of cars, bikes and scooters.

Pollution from mining the materials for batteries is by far the biggest problem right now, but I have great faith in zinc-air and similar technologies which are less dirty than lithium-based batteries.

With biofuels you either have to design the vehicle specifically for it or convert engines that were rigorously designed for the octane rating, lubricity, energy content and solvent properties of gasoline to use ethanol, which is a completely different beast in almost all regards.

Both paths are tough, but I think the electric-based one will win out. Either way, the more electric vehicles replace internal combustion vehicles, the more gas there'll be left for the rest of us :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bet the terror completely disappears once you're on your scooter again feeling how stable it is going down the road. You'll probably be somewhat nervous still, but nowhere near terrified.

You've probably subconciously convinced yourself that riding a scooter is unstable and dangerous, you need to re-teach yourself that this isn't the case and learning by doing is the right thing to do, in a low-traffic situation like an empty parking lot or cul-de-sac.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

yaay posted:

you will remain happy so long as you quickly come to accept you will never ever see the far end of that speedometer unless you cram a 150 honda clone engine into the frame.

Sounds like a winter project to me.

I'd love a 150cc Ruckus for tooling around town.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I put a fart pipe on my scooter:

BURNIN' UP THE NEIGHBORHOOD :smug:

We're gonna need a cell phone youtube video, STAT!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dalrain posted:

An apartment I lived in once let you get an actual enclosed garage for another 20 bucks a month, which would be cheap insurance if you can get something similar.

The apartment I live doesn't even let you park any motor vehicles in the courtyard, apparently it's a fire hazard, though I can imagine people have been annoyed by the noise as well. Hell, I'd roll it in and out of there with the engine off if they'd let me, but no.

Instead I park my bike with a cover on it on a small side road off the main road. Less foot traffic means less people trying to mess with it, plus a couple of other guys park their bikes and scooters there as well. Loud parties etc. nearby still make me worry a bit, though :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

as halfway crooks posted:

elites have always seemed to me like something these guys should be riding

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Or even this:

So loving 80s.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Friggin Joe posted:

Put some junk in that trunk.

Wheelie everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

M4rg4r1ne posted:

That commercial is as good as the beer it is advertising.

What beer? I see no beer in that clip.