Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Tried searching the thread for kid stuff, failed.

My kid is 12 and getting an electric scooter for Christmas. I expect they'll be traveling almost exclusively on 30mph residential roads (though people do blow through faster). Not sure of the scooter specs, haven't picked one out yet.

I am neurotic.

Someone else is handling the scooter (though I would love Goon recs on what's best for a kid taking short trips around town) but I'm choosing the helmet and jacket.

For the helmet, I don't want to say that money is no object, but when a friend got his motorcycle a while back I bought him the top of the line Shoei helmet with no regrets. That said, kids grow, so if I can keep it under about $800 that would be great, but I will obviously drop whatever bank is required for the best safety.

For jacket, I also have to look at what the kid will actually want to wear. Three-season weight, and not too hulking, would be good. Same pricing applies. My friend swears by Alpine Star for his jackets. I'd like to avoid road rash, I'm not as concerned with broken bones (they'll mend) but if there's a way to protect against spinal injuries, I'm here for it.

What should I consider when shopping, and are there any specific models that are recommended? Do I need to just calm the hell down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I am looking at the little step-on scooters, so I really appreciate that you're all helping out even with me being in the wrong thread. Thank you! Just knowing what general style to be looking at is a huge help. Now, to find a shop with an assortment in stock!