Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i've joined the deadest, gayest ranks of these forums after being given this 1985 yamaha riva 125 which had been collecting dust in a garage for 2 years. going to give a thorough check up before trying to start it, and tires are from 2006 and also installed the wrong way (or uh... "rotated"). going to have to replace those as well, but i'm only in $0 to start!

Misc fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

my '85 yamaha puts the rear brake on a right-side foot pedal, which i find quite comfy but i assume there's a reason they don't do that anymore.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

seat latch is on the tail end of the scooter, under the rear rack / helmet case

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

you'd guess correctly

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

you can't beat the european styling of a vespa, stella et al, but the market is still very friendly for vintage japanese scooters. or at least that's the case here in the midwest. if my yamaha was stolen today, i could have another just like it in my garage tomorrow for less than a grand.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

50cc isn't ideal for suburbs unless it's to your corner store. 125 is the sweet spot for anything except for the highway but even those maxi scoots seem sketchy at that speed.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

an arai or shoei are definitely the top of the line, part of that is due to more shell sizes that give the rider an exact fit. it's a bit safer, comfortable, and it looks better to boot, but an ECE helmet is pretty drat safe no matter what, especially anything with the new 22.06 standard

if your kid's head is going to get bigger, you might be able solve a number of problems by buying a cheaper helmet line, like an icon, with fewer shell sizes and interchangeable liners. this only works if your kid is on the smaller end of a shell size. for example, if you get a medium, you're usually getting a large helmet shell with extra padding in the liner and cheeks. if the head grows larger, you can swap out the medium liner for a large and keep rockin and rollin.

that said, i have no idea how big a 12 year old's head is, so this may all be pointless if you have to buy a specialty size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

and no, you're not being neurotic really. not sure if you're looking at one of those stand up electric scooters (which this thread isn't really for but who cares) or a conventional step through sit down type -- it doesn't matter. as the OP says, crashing at even below 30mph can gently caress you up.

i'd recommend a pair of gloves for your little one -- it's probably more important than a jacket. if they fall, they are going to reflexively brace for the fall with their hands. i have an alpinestars pair i picked up cheap from https://www.motorcyclegear.com/