Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Misc posted:

my '85 yamaha puts the rear brake on a right-side foot pedal, which i find quite comfy but i assume there's a reason they don't do that anymore.

As an 87 elite 150 owner I will say it makes bracing a bit awkward as there is no tank to grip with my legs.

Especially when stopping fast and trying to not lock the rear wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Geekboy posted:

Took my Royal Alloy on one of the twisty roads near here on a lark and did it at about the same speed on a 150 scooter as I do on my Bonneville T120.

Mostly because it couldn’t go any faster.

How do you like the royal alloy? The Genuine dealership here has some out and they looked neat.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Has anyone bought an NIU scooter? How are they? They seem interesting.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

csammis posted:

I bought an electric NIU - you can look for my posts in this thread and the electric scooter thread about it - but long story short it was factory recalled within three months of me purchasing it, dealer bought it back because NIU didn’t have a solution, and I bought a gas SYM and never looked back. My understanding is they eventually figured out how to fix it but by then it had been months since the recall. IIRC the issues (plural!) involved sudden loss of power while driving and a tendency for the rear end to shake itself apart.

The electric was fun but hoo boy it was Chinese-manufactured as all hell. Can’t speak for the gas models but it didn’t leave me with a great impression of the brand. Genuine, the US distributor, at least did right by me and my dealer.

Well that’s unfortunate.

It seems like the electric scooters aren’t really there yet in the cost/performance category yet.

I’d like an electric, but my options seem to be NIU which apparently has the classic Chinese QC issues. Basically it might be bulletproof or it might be permanently broken, but you don’t know which one you’re getting.

Or

Vespa which is $8k for a 125cc equivalent.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

The BMW scoots look so awesome. The big one looks like the Dredd bike and the little one looks like a cyberpunk-y city enduro.

I guess I should have been a bit more specific.
I don’t mind paying a bit more for electric, but it’s like more than double the price for far worse performance. Like I’d pay $5-6k MSRP for 125-150cc performance and feel ok-ish.

I just didn’t expect the price to performance to be THAT bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Yeahhh 10” wheels at 50+mph are sketchy.

Seconding the 50cc will leave you feeling nervous on some roads. Especially when it’s a 35mph road.

You can theoretically be very near that speed, but the actual flow of traffic will be near 40mph and you’ll be struggling to hit 35 on a downhill with a tail wind.

Combine that with everything around you being a giant vehicle driven by suburbanites who aren’t paying attention and it gets dangerous.

Just get a 100+cc scooter. It’s not that much more expensive and you’ll get a lot more use out of it. You won’t have to route plan around its limits as much and you won’t be as stressed by the vehicles around you.