Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I went to a Stella (4T) launch party in California, since this will be first time the Stella will be sold here. I sat on it and then went on a rally with the store owner riding the new Stella. It's nice, but it really is about the same quality as a Bajaj in my opinion, and paying $4k+ out the door for that option is a painful proposition these days, especially when REALLY nice scooters/bikes can be had for next to nothing on the used market. It was very peppy though and apparently has ridiculously (honestly, unbelievably) high mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phat_Albert posted:

I think surprisingly little of the scooter and motorcycle crowd overlap. Of my two buddies that ride scooters, they are hilariously oblivious to the ways of the motorcycle world (as I would imagine most motorcyclists are to the scooter world). They actually asked me why people on bikes were waving at them, or more accurately "pointing at the ground". They also dont get why motorcyclists sometimes ride one-handed, since they spend all their time frequently starting and stopping on twitchy scooters.

Yep. As a member of a scooter club I can confirm that very few scooterists also ride motorcycles, the exception being vintage Vespa riders (who often also ride vintage Triumphs and the like).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm sure some of you scooterists already know, but Carter Brother's (SYM's US distributor) warehouse burned down in an apparent arson, so there are literally zero spare parts for any SYM scooter in the US right now. Apparently some dealers can import parts by way of Canada right now, but the word on the street is to not buy a SYM unless you can get a good deal. It's a shame too, since I own one and really enjoy it!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clockworx posted:

This is a very slightly used '09, actually, that (without going into further detail ), I would guess they got a pretty sweet deal on. I just saw this post:

http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=2302.0

and if he is to be believed, is getting a better deal on a new '09 than my dealer wants for their used one. The dealer also adds in about $300 in fees over MSRP on their new scoots, so we're not just talking about their "initial" margin.

I guess it just seems to me that some dealers are complaining about the horrible spot that the downturn has put them into, and then turn around and act like the downturn has never happened and they're doing you a favor selling a scooter.

I put out requests for quotes for a bunch of other local dealers, I guess I'll see what they come back with.

I don't think it's that they're greedy and don't want to work with you, it's that in many times they feel like they can't. The aging new scooters on their floor are likely costing them money at this point and they want to try to make a least a little bit on the used ones. I'd bet you could work a pretty darn good deal on a new one, maybe even good enough to make that worth your while.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phat_Albert posted:

"OH MY GOD IM SORRY IM SORRY :qq:"
*totally normal voice four nanoseconds later*
"yeah, im good"

Is riding just something some people "get" and others don't to some degree? Both my girlfriend and I both got through our noob phase without ever crashing or dropping our bikes.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you're worried about other brands not being as good of vehicles as Vespas are, don't worry about it as Genuine/PGO, SYM, Kymco, Honda, Yamaha, etc. all make scooters that are just as good if not better. If you're doing it for the look or lifestyle, even just a little bit, just get the Vespa as you're going to want it eventually.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PhragHG posted:

Anyone look at the Honda PCX? I'm thinking about replacing my car with a scooter once the lease is up and it looks like a decent alternative to the Blur but I know very little about scooters firsthand.

Only 125cc vs 220cc on the Blur, slightly cheaper at $3399 vs $3899, but I figure the Honda will have an edge in reliability (liquid cooled) and probably practicality.

I do live in California. I was wondering if the extra 100ccs to make sure my primary transportation is highway legal is worth it. My gut feeling is that I wouldn't want to be on an interstate in California without being surrounded by steel anyways.

Here's a picture in case anyone else is interested.

That looks like a nice scoot, but with the used market like it is right now it'd be almost criminal not to buy pre-owned. As for displacement, it all comes down on how you think you're going to ride. If you plan on riding 3 times a week or more (or even every day), you'll need the size IMHO.

As a San Diego resident I can tell you that making highways a non-option makes getting around a shitload more difficult if you travel outside of a small radius around your home. I used to ride my 250cc SYM RV250 for a 30 mile one-way commute on the 5 every day, and although I wasn't riding in the fast lane I was keeping up with traffic (although some might consider me slightly more brave than others!).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PhragHG posted:

I wish Honda would bring the shamu scooter into the US. 250ccs.

Big enough for two, Honda reliability, enough power for the highway, and the storage space of a scooter vs a Ninja250.

Why would they import something that directly competes with the Reflex?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

open24hours posted:

Because they don't sell the Reflex anymore?

drat, didn't even realize. Then I completely agree! However, there are so many high quality 250cc scooters that are going for dirt cheap right now (SYM, Kymco) that I doubt Honda wants to get involved in selling theirs at a price that would compare.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pvt. Public posted:

Someone I work with has a Honda Metropolitan, and they have either lost or locked the key under the seat. The only local dealer wants a fistful of money to remove the ignition in order to have keys made.

How hard is it to remove the ignition from the scooter so that I can take it to a local locksmith if I source blanks? I know of a smith that can do the keys, they just don't stock blanks.

I'm not sure about the Metropolitan, but on some scooters there are funky ways to pop the seat open if you've locked the keys inside. My girlfriend's Genuine/PGO Buddy/BuBu has a secret trunk opening method that can be nearly lifesaving. Have you checked the service manual?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Any scoot riders considering the DCT version of the Honda NC700X? I've been riding a KLR and a V-Strom 1000 for a few years, but I miss the carefree nature of my old SYM RV250 and its auto transmission at times. The NC700X seems like it combines the best of a scooter (auto tranny, great fuel economy) with the versatility of a motorcycle (full size chassis, big engine). I'd probably keep my V-Strom and ditch my scooters in favor of the NC if I decide to get it. The reviews are pretty good, overall.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I've looked at the NC700X as a possibility should I eever have a freeway commute, but it probably wouldn't be the DCT version.

But automatic transmissions are not what attract me to scooters - in fact mine is a manual. I like them because they are small and super nimble.

Of course! I tend to forget how many scoots have manual transmissions, just because I've never owned one that did. Wrist shifting is pretty sweet.

I am a bit confused at all the hate the DCT seems to get (actually, it's more hate directed at the people that would buy a DCT-equipped NC). Apparently folks that already own manual transmission motorcycles and would be interested in an auto don't exist?

On another, scooter-related note: does anyone know if it's possible to get parts (like a CVT belt) for an SYM RV250 at this point? Last I heard was the American SYM distributor burned down their own warehouse for the insurance money.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 4, 2013

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
gently caress SYM, they left me high and dry for RV250 parts after their old American distributor burned down their warehouse for the insurance money shortly after the crash.

Anyone tried the Integra DCT?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chinatown posted:

Anyone riding a Zuma 125? I am pretty much sold on this scooter.

Just trolling CL looking for a good one at a reasonable price now...

I've ridden one, it's perfectly nice but also indistinguishable from any other Japanese or Taiwanese made scoot that size. I wouldn't turn down a Buddy at a great price, for example.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you can find a Big Ruckus, buy it and ride around like the King of the Hondas you'd be.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

via posted:

at 90 miles on my new zuma 125, I go to do an oil change and see that the dealer overfilled it by 75 mL or so (manual calls for .85L in the engine). At this point in my life I should be expecting a dealer to put anything but the correct amount of oil in the engine, but I just got busy and figured scooters are tough. Can I forget this and not chew him out and just enjoy my new scoot?

So instead of .85L there was .925L in there? Yes, I would forget about that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What's my best bet for a 50cc? Since CO allows me to park on the sidewalk, I'm looking to evade our insane parking fees with one.

I know the key is to stay Taiwanese or Japanese for a reliable, cheap scooter, but are there any 50s in particular I should be looking for? I used to own a Buddy 125 and liked that quite a bit, though the EFI Zuma sounds tempting too.

I'm assuming Ruckus' aren't worth it if you're just looking for transit?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My budget is $1,500 or so, and I want to work on it as little as possible, so I'm guessing something 4 stroke for me. I'm OK with a top speed around 40 or so since I'm lucky enough to have good side street routes all the way to work.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

the nicker posted:

What about hills though? That's what's going to kill you on a 50cc

There is a nice little hill on my route, but the speed limit is 30mph and it's through a residential neighborhood, so I'm hoping my quest to become less of a fatass (targeting a weight of 180lbs) will allow me to make it through that ~.5 mi stretch without too much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

leica posted:

Wow, I figured the Vino would have the same setup as the Zuma, I wonder why not.

My C3 has a kickstart backup, none on the 125 Zuma though, and the 50cc is liquid cooled but the 125 is not. What the gently caress Yamaha?

Zuma or C3 50cc 4 stroke, EFI and liquid cooled, can't beat it. Unless if you somehow found a 125 Zuma in your budget then get that.

It's 50ccs or bust, since that's the limit for sidewalk parking. Thanks for the tips, I've always wanted a C3 but was sad to find out they're no longer in production.