Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I finally got a scooter! :woop:

2002 Yamaha Neos 50cc, in very good original condition. It was a goddamn steal, paid about $450 for it. Runs great, I just need to adjust the idle speed a little, it stalls out sometimes at red lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

:getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2h5xMDT21w

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

dougdrums posted:

Yeah that's the case with the CDI. I don't think they interfere, otherwise I feel like I would've hosed my old one up a long time ago.

If I turn the crankshaft by hand, I can feel the piston compress like it would otherwise, there's just something on the crankshaft that is not intact anymore.

I guess I've already convinced myself that I'd need a new crankshaft, but the manual makes it look like it comes in one monolithic piece. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to pay a shop to replace it, or to get a new engine. I'd try my hand at it, but I live in the middle of the city and don't have a garage, and I don't think I could do it in a day on the side of the street.

What really sucks is that I can't seem to find another case of it happening, and it all worked really well on my old one. But I'm just trying to feel better about loving up a brand new engine ...

Take the engine off the bike and bring it indoors to work on it, just put a tarp down so you don't gently caress the floor up. Or just change the bike back to stock and turn it in to the dealer.

Anyways, had some nice weather today so I took the Neos out for a spin, washed it, then found a place to snap some cool pics:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah that dude owns

Yeah buy that man an account lol.

Re: soot issues; my Yamaha was acting pretty weird shortly after I bought it and what seems to have been the problem was a clogged up exhaust, I changed the piston and rings out too just for good measure. If the cylinder exhaust port was that blocked you might also want to burn the pipe out or replace it.

Also, imo you should always be using full synthetic oil for scooters.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Water cooled two strokes were very common here in Europe, Yamaha, Peugeot, Piaggio group brands, etc, all made them. The market for two strokes is dying however due to new pollution control regulation but there are still some you can buy.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

There are some cool scooters, it just seems like the USA didn't get that many. I wanted to post some cool ones, so here:

Peugeot Jetforce 125 Compressor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBd2XQzkRG0
125cc 4-stroke scooter with a supercharger, 19 horsepower engine!

Gilera Runner 180 FXR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRCellNkFg
One of the fastest stock 2 stroke scooters there are, 180cc, ~20 hp power output. They are a massive cop magnet because they're used in drive by shootings a lot in Europe. They have also been sold with 50cc carb/50cc EFI/125cc 2 strokes and 125cc/200cc 4-strokes. There's a Malossi 172cc kit for the 125/180 engine that seems nice.

Aprilia SR50 Ditech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zCHb1DB6ZA
Fuel injected 2-stroke, I think these were sold in the US as well, will do 80+ kph if unrestricted (you remap the ECU with a Gameboy cartridge lol).

Italjet Dragster 50/125/180
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3ZCVowvaA
Very unique space frame construction scooter. Came with a 50cc/125cc/180cc Piaggio engine (same as the Runner 180).

Italjet Formula 125 Twin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbBAI5lrIM
Another unique Italjet scooter, twin cylinder 125cc engine, very quick and sounds crazy. There are some bespoke tuning parts you can get for these, mainly expansion chamber exhausts.

Gilera ICE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-u2SZM_P4Y
This video shows a very tuned up one with a 172cc engine on it, but it's a very cool frame design, sort of similar to the Italjet Dragster. Must be really fun to drive with that powerful engine.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

CheddarGoblin posted:

These are cool, there's a guy here in Austin with two of them and is about to sell one supposedly and I'm seriously considering it.

I would, if I could.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Get a 2 stroke and a sport exhaust, change the rollers, rejet the carb and enjoy.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Fly 150 sounds decent, it's pretty easy and cheap to fix up a scooter too, I'd say go for it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Coydog posted:

That thing looks like a blast to zip around on.

It even looks sort of like a Piaggio Zip lol.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

God loving drat it, I misinterpreted the direction indicator on the front tire I mounted on my scoot today. loving 4 hour struggle session for nothing aaaaaaaagaghhhhh.

edit: suck my entire dick and balls michelin man fucker

edit 2: *bad french accent* hmm yess lets make the tire with a text that says FRONT and le arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the front of le moto cycele!! this is genias!!!

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Phone posted:

oh poo poo

It's not a scooter but it looks p sweet

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

My city has a similar rule, except the parking enforcement people can't be bothered to tell whether something is above or below the limit, so you can park anything on the sidewalk as long as it looks like a scooter.

Here if you have a scooter that has a license plate (45 kph legal top speed (lol)) it's supposed to be parked like a motorcycle, i.e. on the street like a car. If you don't have a plate (25/30 kph limit, also can go on most bike paths) it counts as a bicycle so you can park it almost anywhere. I have my plate on a magnet due to some masterstroke from one of the previous owners, so I just remove it when I park so I can lock my scooter to a bike rack or put it on the sidewalk instead.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Yamaha Vino sounds like what you want.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

You don't need to have a scooter serviced by a dealer really, it's pretty much the simplest vehicle except maybe a pedal moped to fix yourself.

Also the Yamaha is faster, if you get the older two stroke ones.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Video isn't working but check for air leaks, a 2t engine that has a hanging throttle usually comes from either that or being too lean I think.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Crayvex posted:

Okay that is good to know! The only remaining issue then is that it is super hard to start when warmed up. I had to kick it for a few minutes before I could get it started again. My friend says that he normally push starts it when it does this. I tried starting with the gas cap open, but it made no difference. Choke on, choke off. WOT. It felt like it was dead until it finally caught and started. When cold it starts on the first kick with choke. Any ideas?

Ignition coil maybe.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Piaggio Beverly 500 is probably the fastest close to flat floor scooter you can find.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Coredump posted:

That hump is not bad at all either. Are those sold in the US? I know the BV 350 was at one point as I took one on a short test drive back in the day.

No idea, I'm in Europe, but I know I've seen something about police departments using them in the US, also if you can find a 350 they'd probably be alright too.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

wzm posted:

I replaced the ignition switch on my series III TV175, and rode it for the first time in years. I forgot how slow they really are, but also how amazing it looks outside in the sunlight. After an hour of looking up current cylinder kits and exhausts, I looked up current prices for vintage scooters, and am now afraid to park it anywhere. Just like everything else, they've gotten expensive in the last 5-10 years. 8 years ago I sold an un-restored, but original and perfect SX200 for $7k, and that's not seeming like as great of a choice now as it did at the time.

When I picked this up around ~2003, the floorboards and side panels had been cut up to fit knobby tires, and it was an absolute rusty wreck. I spent a fortune on metal work, but I don't think I'd ever get rid of it now, after this long, it's stuck with me.

With any luck, enough people will get vaccinated that scooter rallys happen this year.

Lambrettas are so god drat cool, wish I could afford one

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Went for a drive on my Neos today, it runs great, managed to almost peg the speedometer on a downhill section of road, pretty impressive for a stock cylinder to get to ~50 mph.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Niu seems legit, the 30 mph versions are popular here and they seem well built.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Bouillon Rube posted:

On an unrelated note, how possible is it to change tires at home without specialized tools? Is it basically the same process as changing a bicycle tire?

It's basically the same, just a little harder. Look at some YouTube vids.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Check the reeds.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Bouillon Rube posted:

Should I just replace the whole thing?

Yes, absolutely.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

A new one is so cheap you might as well replace it all.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

https://www.racingplanetusa.com/min...23#.YQwIqeReCEc

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Nice, I also just realized I was going to tell you to check the crank seals as well, two strokes tend to run like poo poo when those go bad.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Crank seals would be more likely to cause air leaks/lean conditions, no? Bogging sounds like something else.

Yes that's true, but people mean different things when they say "bogging down", for you and me it probably refers to a rich mixture but I don't think everyone is in on that.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Bouillon Rube posted:

This is what it looks like now(I haven’t run the bike in two days if that makes a difference)

I tried to ride it last week but it just died after getting to 10mph or so (then wouldn’t start back up for a few hours)

Since the I’ve just been running it on it’s stand in my garage, but the behavior is the same either way. I do let it warm up for a few minutes. It starts really easily if that makes any difference; on the first or second kick and I don’t even have to engage the choke.

We need to see the ceramic part around the tip, that's where the important colorization happens.

Here's the color you want:

Also, to get an accurate reading, you need to warm up your bike, drive on full throttle for about 60 seconds, then without letting off the throttle turning off the ignition, stopping and then pulling the plug.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Anyone have thoughts on what's the best mileage tire for a 3.50-10? We got an absolute lunatic of a customer here with a Buddy 125 who just wore his Michelin S83 through the cord and blew it out over 3000 miles in 2 weeks. Would like to recommend him something longer lasting. I think I've seen Shinko 009s last longer than that maybe but not much.

Michelin City Grip maybe? I haven't had them on for very long but they still look brand new after a couple of months.

BTW is this the same guy you've posted about before who's driving around doing photography basically racking up enough mileage on a 50cc scooter to go around the world in a single summer?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Bi-la kaifa posted:

There's a 78 Puch magnum xk for sale for $250. Are any of you familiar with something like that? I offered the guy $200 and a case of beer and as long as I pick it up before Monday it's mine. Doesn't run but by the sounds of it it just needs some fresh gas and a carb clean.

Go for it, sounds good.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Bouillon Rube posted:

Ok. I fixed the throttle adjustment but still having the same issue- it dies as soon as I apply any throttle unless the air intake is almost completely plugged. The new reed valve assembly is nice and snug, as is the carb.

I’m thinking it’s the crank seals; if that’s the case I might need to give the scooter away as it seems like a huge project :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LQL1iXHRQ

Is it the same if you put the air box back? Also replacing crank seals is pretty easy, much like everything else on a scooter, there aren't really any super complicated things to repair on a simple 2 stroke engine like that.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

It's a vertical minarelli so you'll probably have to take off the CVT and the flywheel + magneto on the other side. Then you can take the old seals out with a pick or by screwing a wood screw into the old one and pulling it out, then use a pipe to hammer the new ones into position. There are videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Bouillon Rube posted:

Another week, another Zuma problem :)

I replaced both of the crank seals and put everything back together….but now the starter motor seems really weak and can’t overcome the magnetic field on the stator (so the magneto can’t do a full rotation and the scooter won’t start). The magneto just moves very slowly and get itself stuck after 1/3 of a turn or so.

Kick starting doesn’t do anything either; it turns over but no spark or ignition

Any ideas?

Check so that everything you took apart is installed correctly again, considering you don't get any spark (have you checked this with the spark plug removed?) something related to the magneto is probably installed wrong because that is what supplies the power to the ignition coil and triggers the ignition.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

rally posted:

Can anyone point me toward a good parts checklist and guide for upgrading a genuine roughhouse and buddy 50cc to 70cc?

Something like this: https://www.scootertuning.ca/en/engine-package-sport/80010-engine-package-malossi-sport-70cc-genuine-pgo.html

If you want to go cheaper, just get a cast iron cylinder kit, DR for example is great value, some lighter CVT weights and carb jets.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

builds character posted:

Anyone know what this is? And how much I should buy it for?

Honda Super Cub? Some sort of bootleg Super Cub? Get some more pics maybe?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

builds character posted:

yeah, definitely a bootleg supercub from 2003.

Made by kinlon, apparently.

800km on it. HHMMMMMMMM.

I'd ride that

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Danknificent posted:

My metro is up over 700 miles with no issues! I got the oil changed at 500. They charged me a hundred bucks to do that and fiddle with one of the grips that was loose. My Honda dealer is delightfully awful, but it's hard to care. My daily driver is a 2018 RAV 4. What I'm spending on gas these days taking the Metro to work on nice days and the fact that the freaking thing cost 3k make the occasional overpriced oil change seem pretty trivial. I guess I'll get it changed again at 1000.

I love that Metro, and I appreciate the thread for recommending it.

You can probably change the oil yourself for like 10 bucks. It's very easy to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

rally posted:

Can someone point me to a good guide for breaking down a genuine 50cc 2 stroke and installing a 70cc kit? I bought the scooter works kit but have no idea what I’m doing.

https://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/556/install-big-bore-kit-1e40qmb