Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Got a new scooter today. It's a Honda Forza NSS250, known as the Honda Reflex in the US. I haven't ridden it much yet 'cause I don't have insurance, but the test ride and the ride home from the dealer were pretty fun. Has a top speed of about 120km/h I'm told, I've only had it up to 100km/h so far but it feels like it has plenty of power.

Better pictures soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'd like a vintage, I almost got a PX200 instead of my Forza, but the armchair won out in the end. My next scooter will be a 60/70's Vespa/Lambretta for sure.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I tried waving at motorcyclists but they never waved back so I just decided they were all cunts and ignore them now.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Was it one of these?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Swordfish posted:

I get a faint vibe that most of the Ruckus aftermarket stuff is pretty much two-wheeled ricey stuff.

Is there any other kind of scooter mod?

Ruckus' are good scooters but slow as poo poo, if you want to ride on anything other than residential or inner city streets you'll need to do an engine swap. With the size of the aftermarket these days it's not hard to get a 150cc+ GY6 and bolt it in though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Phat_Albert posted:

cream

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...EHZ592X2KK8DV1H

I saw this in the shops today, big glossy photos of wide open flat slides, looks right up your alley.

[edit for content:

]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 1, 2010

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

yaay posted:

World's only twin-cylinder production scooter.

Nah, the Honda Silverwing, Yamaha T-Max, Gilera GP800, and the Triumph Tigress all have twins. There are probably others I'm forgetting.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Because they don't sell the Reflex anymore?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TKgPcBKXgU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm all for anything that will make scooters more popular. Hopefully it will see production.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Looks more like a Cushman than a Vespa, but I like it. $5k is too much for me to consider it though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Most two stroke 50's run pretty rich stock, so it should be fine. You will probably get a ~5mph increase in top speed( assuming it's not limited by the CDI or something else) and slight acceleration increase. Change the rollers if you want to get the most out of the pipe.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jr. posted:

Call me crazy, but I think I want to try building up my Spree to 200cc with one of those 6.5hp harbor freight engines. See what happens. I don't depend on it in any way for transportation; I pretty much just bought it to figure out how engines worked. Any reason not to?

It would be a lot easier and you'd end up with a better result if you used a scooter engine. Plenty of people have done cool swaps on Sprees.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Purgey posted:

Also I can't help but feel like a poseur for driving around a 100cc scooter with an armored jacket, gloves and full face helmet. I swear, its only for protection, I'm not trying to pretend I'm a space commando on a badass sportbike!! :goleft:

Wear a fishtail parka over the top, no need to sacrifice safety for that hip mod style.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Dalrain posted:

Sup, Hondagoon? Yeah, don't feel bad about safety items, it's totally cool. How fast does the Elite go comfortably for you? I read it maxes out around 45, is that pretty accurate?

More for my own interests: What does a good highway capable scooter look like? I see in the past, some manufacturers offered 250cc models which sounds like where I want to be. However, I'm not seeing any major manufacturer models in that range now. I guess I could just go up to a small/cheap sportbike, (Ninja 250R) but I'm curious.

If you're going to be doing longer distances then you'll want something bigger than 250cc. I have a Honda Forza (Reflex) and it's OK for short trips on the highway, but only just.

IMHO you'd probably be better off with a cruiser/tourer bike than a scooter if you're going to be spending a lot of time on the highway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Pretty much nothing short of storing it in your apartment. Maybe a cover would deter some people?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Get a bigger scooter. Mopeds generally don't come any bigger than 50cc and are really not very useful for anything other than residential streets and the inner city.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Nice cub.

http://www.lambrettamotorcycles.com/models.html
No idea about the quality, but they certainly look nice.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Even a Honda Metropolitan has 4-5 horsepower, but I seriously doubt your state is going to make you put it on a dyno. I'd imagine you could get away with anything 50cc, even though some of them make over 10hp.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 22, 2011

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you've got water in the tank then drain the tank, the carb, the lines and anything else that fuel travels through and leave it to dry out for a day or two. Removing the fuel tank is probably easier than you think.

If the battery is completely 100% dead it might not even kickstart, so it's worth checking that first.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Did you do anything to the fuel mixture? Bogging down then taking off like a rocket sounds like it's running lean. Check your plugs, if they are white then you're too lean.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I've also got an '02 Reflex and I don't think the shake has anything to do with the roller weights, I think the engine just vibrates a lot at certain RPMs and makes all the plastic rattle a bit. It's not really a big deal.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm in Taipei on holiday at the moment. This place is absolutely amazing when it comes to scooters, every street is lined with them, seemingly everyone from all walks of life rides one. Half of them ride around with facemasks, half of them ride around smoking, and they all have a firm NGATT attitude to safety. It's awesome.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Friggin Joe posted:

For some odd reason I find myself watching videos of eastern places such as that and it's pretty amazing, the difference.
Tiawan is huge scooter place. It's a pretty awesome means of transportation, and makes so much sense I'm surprised they're not more commonplace in the U.S. (well, we are kinda retards)

At least I feel special on my scooter. Even on a long ride, the most scooters I see on my way is like one.

I think two of the main reasons scooters aren't so popular in the US and other western countries is that people can afford to buy a car (and perhaps more importantly, have the space to park it) pretty easily even on a minimum wage job, and people really take a different attitude to what is and isn't an 'acceptable risk'. If this thread is anything to go by, people buy and wear full motorcycle gear to go down to the shops to buy milk, which really takes a lot of the convenience scooters offer away.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm not saying you shouldn't wear gear, I'm saying that the perceived need to wear gear significantly reduces the attractiveness of scooters to many people.

A jacket and gloves, or even full leathers, probably wont do a lot to help you if you get hit by a car anyway.

It's not like people don't get killed on scooters over here too, and it's not like people don't get killed in car crashes in the US, but you don't see many people driving around wearing full gear and a helmet.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well, that's terrible. I would never advise anyone not to wear gear, and in a perfect world everyone would wear it, but there has to be some trade off between convenience and safety. In the West the point at which people draw the line between an acceptable risk and an unacceptable one seems to be much closer to safety than convenience. I'm not offering advice, just an observation.

It probably helps that they have UHC in Taiwan so people don't have to worry so much about bankrupting themselves and their family if they have an accident, although it's the same in Australia and people are pretty safety conscious there. Different cultures have different priorities I guess.

You see this sort of thing all the time here, which would probably result in having your children taken away from you in some countries, and no one seems to mind.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 5, 2011

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Friggin Joe posted:

In other news:

Honda's designers have really dropped the ball lately.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Finally running again.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Like シャリィ I guess.

I say Cha(with a short A like in 'cat')-Lee but I don't know how it's supposed to be said.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would be really surprised if they released that, and if they actually do I'd be surprised if it gets out of Japan. Honda seem to have some sort of aversion to releasing any of their cool bikes in the West.

The Motocompo is a pretty cool bike though

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Little Blue Couch posted:

I dunno man, are there any big-engine scooters that don't look like tacky poo poo?

There are plenty of 250's that look good (imo), Honda Forza, Yamaha Maxam, Suzuki Gemma...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Cup holder on a scooter? :911:

My current scooter doesn't have one (my old one did), and it's bloody annoying having to ride home from the drive through with one hand.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I don't know how what shop prices are like around Chicago, but budget $75 per hour of labor. Most of the above will be a 1/2 hour of shop time (they generally bill a minimum of 1/2 hour), with a couple things (weights, belt, valves) maybe being 1-3 hours.

I wouldn't go back to a mechanic that took 1-3 hours to change a belt or weights. I've done it myself in about 20 minutes, if I had proper tools and was more organised I could probably do it in 10.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you think a 50 will be too slow then it probably will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbnqmEh7xs

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

For those of you who love to miss the point, Aprilia has a new scooter.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/10/aprilia-rsv4-x-gilera-gp800-aprilia-srv850/

Looks fun though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You really need to swap in a variated engine (dio/elite engine) if you want to do anything to a Spree. Modifying the stock engine is a waste of time.

http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6536

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

*jesus christ MSRP is $3,199 that is seriously retarded. Moto International has leftover Scarabeo 200s and Sport City 250s for $2399 and $2999 respectively, those are good buys.

But can you tune those with a Gameboy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmbTo1sXGY

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What kind of lifespan are you hoping to get from the engine? At 19hp it couldn't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ahh yeah fair enough. I guess I'd consider replacing the rings and bearings more of a rebuild than maintenance, but I suppose it doesn't take too long if you know what you're doing.