Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey guys I heard scooters were gay so I wandered into this thread!!!!

Really tho, I'm planning a trip on my RV-90 (which may as well be considered a scooter), with some friends on their Yamaha Jogs. Milwaukee to Chicago, which is a long distance, when you average 30 mph or so.

Whats the best way to plan and pack for a scooter trip? We'll be hotel-ing it, but each of us only have the stock luggage racks on our bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HappyHelmet posted:

Anyways I was gonna make a thread specifically for my Taiwan scootin' adventures

Please do!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What does the "I am currently riding a scooter" mean? Reference from something?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Of all the different kinds of people that ride, one group in particular never wave back at me on the road. Hardcore Harley 1% riders with vests and chaps? Nope. Squids on brand new CB1000RR's with shorts and flip flops? Nope. 70 year old grandpas on Goldwings? Nope.

It's these drat scooter riders. Not a single one waves back to me. I don't know if they're just plain dumb newbs, if they think I'm mocking them, or if they're just retardedly elite. I ride a clapped out 1994 CBR painted flat black, so it's not like I look particularly high and mighty.

I think surprisingly little of the scooter and motorcycle crowd overlap. Of my two buddies that ride scooters, they are hilariously oblivious to the ways of the motorcycle world (as I would imagine most motorcyclists are to the scooter world). They actually asked me why people on bikes were waving at them, or more accurately "pointing at the ground". They also dont get why motorcyclists sometimes ride one-handed, since they spend all their time frequently starting and stopping on twitchy scooters.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

I waved to someone on a ruckus today, and he did the snap-and-point thing back. I would like to formally offer this up for use by all scooterists as your Main Wave™

Snap to finger-gun should be the default wave for anything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ampersand-e posted:

I think the Ethanol actually loosens big clumps of corrosion which gently caress up your engine like a clot in an artery. It also dissolves the rubber parts inside the engine. I've heard that E83 will gently caress up a chainsaw so I assume the same is true with any 2 stroke.

It wont be good for the crank seals, which is what you need to be the most worried about on a scooter.

I run premium on principle in all my 2-strokes, as the extra detonation protection that premium provides is worth it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the same reasoning that Ducati/Aprilia/Guzzi/whatever other european bike owners use to justify their bikes over the Japanese ones.

Lets not get into the SOUL and PASSION world here. If you like wrenching on your bike, thats great, but it doesn't make it better than a bike with less maintenance requirements.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the motor isnt completely blown or something crazy like that, it wont be a big deal to fix. The FA50's are very simple machines, and dead on reliable when they're working right.

It is your standard 50cc Japanese scooter from the 80's, so its going to be reliable, and do about 25mph all day long.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its probably not the fuel line thats clogged, unless she dumped dirt in the tank or something. Chances are the carb has a little fleck of poo poo in one of the jets, or the plug is fouled or something.

One oddity about them is that you have to be applying the brakes in order to kick start it. I thought the kickstarter was broken on mine when I bought it (but for $20 I couldnt complain).

Really there isnt much to go wrong on them, so just look for signs of obvious abuse, and try to feel her out for the obvious stuff (does she keep the oil tank topped up, etc), and thats about it.

EDIT: Rereading the CL ad, the manual is an ebay reproduction, so dont let her leverage you on that if you try to wheel'n'deal.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 14, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Melicious posted:

Anybody have experience getting a title for a scooter? I've been dying to get an '84 Honda Gyro for awhile and found a pretty great one for an awesome price, but of course the title is long gone. Scooter's in WI, I'm in IL and have no idea if this is gonna be worth it to go through the process of titling it. Thoughts?

In WI its not even worth messing with the DMV, as they're notoriously impossible to get a title out of.

I dont know if IL is the same, but if it is, this is your best bet: http://www.its-titles.com/

I've used them a few times, and they work great. Tacks a fairly significant cost onto your purchase price though.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 8, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the US scooter market for you, in general we only care about them when gas prices are too high to drive the Excursion.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"OH MY GOD IM SORRY IM SORRY :qq:"
*totally normal voice four nanoseconds later*
"yeah, im good"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Radbot posted:

Is riding just something some people "get" and others don't to some degree? Both my girlfriend and I both got through our noob phase without ever crashing or dropping our bikes.

Yeah, its all in your level of preparedness and calmness. I've seen more than one total noob get on a bike, and just lock up, holding the throttle steady when they should be off it, locking their arms when they should be steering.

These are generally the people you have to shout "BRAKES!!! BRAKES!!! at before they snap out of it and still wad it up regardless.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats awesome, you dont see enough trail-90's, period, let alone out on trails.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it spigot mount or flange mount? Your best bet may be replacing it with a more common carb of similar spec. Thankfully for you the VM series were all pretty similar.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The mount of course refers to the side of the carb that mounts the carb to the engine.

A spigot mount is round and fits into a rubber sleeve or adapter like so:

A flange mount is oblong and has bolt holes in it, and is bolted directly to the engine, or a metal intake manifold, like so:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Synonamess Botch posted:

Of course, thanks for informing me. It is flange mounted.

Ok, whats the spacing between the flange bolt holes, center to center?

I'm guessing somewhere in the 50mm range?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Synonamess Botch posted:

Center to center the bolt holes are about 44mm. Here is a reference picture:

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

The intake side is 25mm. There is one fuel and one air line. The throttle cable goes straight in the top, and there is a large shaft which does nothing but hold the carb in place. I only know motorcycle carbs, this is the only scoot I've ever worked on, so I have no idea how normal any of this is.

The carb body itself looks weird, can we get a side shot from both sides?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its a Honda, drive it how you want, and it will break itself in. I wouldnt worry too much about it, especially since at 100KM all the important parts of the break in are done.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Take it on the bike if you can, everything you learn on the bike will transfer to the scooter or be useful if you ever get a motorcycle, but not vice-versa.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pope Mobile posted:

Okay, my girlfriend's scooter died last week. Turns out the engine seized because it ran out of oil (turns out she never actually changed it. Guess I'll have to teach her proper maintenance).
She has some friends that can work on it, but I'm not sure to what extent. They say that the engine is totaled and needs to be replaced.
Money is a bit tight, so we're looking at options: would it be cheaper to replace the engine (2007 Vespa LX50) or pick up another 49cc off Craigslist? Alternatively, would a non-Vespa engine be cheaper and would we be able to mount it with little to no fabrication?

Throw kits, son.

If it seized, its probably only the top end, which is simple on a 2-stroke.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Those LX50s are actually 4 strokes.

Oops, didnt even notice the cam chain slot in the cylinder.

Is it still called throwing kits when its a 4-stroke? If not it should be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone in or near milwaukee with a scooter should be planning to go to the moto-scoot bbq and ride on june 4th! The moto scoot guys are awesome and theres guaranteed to be some awesome scoots there.

http://moto-scoot.net/ZenFlashGallery/index.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jr. posted:

Another dumb mod question, is it a bad idea to replace the plastics on my spree with metal? I'd be doing the work myself. Just curious. They're all beat to poo poo and I don't feel like buying every one of them again.

Unless you weigh 70lbs probably not a good idea. Every pound you add to a spree will make it accelerate slower.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That is a cool thing. $325 is a bit much though.

Seafea, I'd buy another cover, and a lock for it. Some covers have grommets that'll let you run a cable lock through them. It's not perfect, but it'll at least deter opportunistic assholes.

Otherwise? Move. :(

I dont know how you outside parkers do it. My bikes are in an attached garage and that still makes me angsty sometimes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mobn posted:

I'm posting this in both the moped and scooter threads:

I've been thinking of getting a moped or scooter to save money on gas because 98% of my driving is either 8 miles on 30mph streets to one job or 4 miles on a 45mph road to the other job.

The 45mph road is Bluemound Road in Brookfield, WI, which many of you will know is infamous as one of the most dangerous roads in the country. Is a moped just an idiotic idea in this situation? Will a scooter be much better? Or should I be spending my time hunting down a Geo and just accepting that I'll only be geting 40ish MPG instead of 70+?

Firstly, sup fellow wisconsinite. Secondly, I've had my rv90 on bluemound a bunch of times, and its been fine. It does about 45mph. I can see bluemound getting iffy if youre on a scooter that only does 30 though.

What part of bluemound are you going to be on? Also, I never realized bluemound was that dangerous?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

Hey scooter thread it has been a while. Don't know if you guys remember me, but maybe my bikes. I'm the proud owner of these.

I sadly low-sided on the Zuma and she has some scrapes on one side. The Van Van still doesn't work and has huge electrical issues and a bunch of missing parts and screws. Honestly, I'm willing to give it up for free and I know Phat Albert owns one.

The reason I'm willing to give it up for free? I'm getting a 125cc pink Buddy for free. Yes free.

Holy crap I was wondering where you went!! Giving up on the RV, huh? I'm always up for another RV, where do you live again?

Thats cool about the Buddy, you dont see those every day, and certainly not for free.

Edit: Ah, KY, little too far from Milwaukee to make the drive :(

I'll pay for the shipping on the sidecovers and center frame cover if you're willing to pull some pieces off.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 2, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

I stopped riding the Zuma after I dropped it as it needs a good tune up and I didn't have the income at the time. I moved out of my parents house and stored the Zuma because I moved into an area with no garage and a high rate of theft crime. I basically biked to school and work for two years with my car for longer trips. I'm back at my parents now with a fairly good intership on the horizon so yay garage and scootering!

If you really want it I could meet you half way. Chuck me gas money and we'll call it even. My parents would be happy to get it out of the garage. If not I'm giving it away to a guy who likes to get bikes working again. He knows a lot more people in the rebuilding community than me and I'd rather him try to get it back on the road. I'll keep in touch with him and if he can't get it working I'll send you some of the parts for a few bucks and shipping. I only paid $200 for the thing so I honestly don't care about giving it away, but would like to make some money back. Honestly when I'm more settled I've always thought of purchasing a fully working one. Having a mud/sand bike sounds like too much fun to pass up. :)

I was pretty floored to be offered a $2500 scooter for free. We actually have a Genuine dealer here so they're fairly common in town on the summer (I saw two the other day). It was dropped and gas flooded the carb during the accident. They've gotten it running before, but it will get a pro cleaning along with the Zuma and then I can start my scooter gang.

As much as I'd like to run down even half way and grab it, I don't think I can justify it (especially to my wife). Let your buddy have a crack at it. Let me know about the side panels and frame cover if that doesn't work out though.

If you think you'd like an RV90 (and I personally cant imagine who wouldn't), they are a really fun bike, and if you can pick one up in good running order, it would definitely make a great addition to the scooter gang.

On that Buddy scooter, I'd watch what the dealer is telling you, as a carb flooding isn't really a thing, its the engine that floods. Carbs have overflows and other fail-safes that keep them from filling up with gas. I'd still take a Buddy all day long, especially for free, so I'm not trying to dissuade you at all, but the issues may be different than what they're saying. That said, a drop shouldn't have done any serious damage, so whatever it is, it shouldn't be that difficult to fix. Good luck with it, post pics of it when you get it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Went to Moto-Scoot Milwaukees rally this weekend, and it was awesome. No dickwaving at all, which is a refreshing change from the bike meets I've been to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some video from the Moto-Scoot rally in Milwaukee. It was an awesome time, there were like 250 scooters there, and we basically shut down a rolling two block section of Milwaukee as we drove through

http://vimeo.com/24981131

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Raven457 posted:

This is awesome, thanks for the video. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun... and looks like that old guy had a flashback or two when you first pulled up.

Oh yeah, that guy had some super thick netherland-ish accent, so he was hard to understand, but he had a ton of questions. Super excited to see my bike, but still didnt know what it was. Picked my brain for a good 10 minutes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DILLIGAF posted:

Not a regular poster here, but I like seeing what you guys have done to your rides.

Saw this today and knew I had to share. (My Host)

A company in Asheville, NC is making these. Briton Bees

That guy actually posts on my forum. Very cool dude: http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10375.0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some friends and I went Milwaukee to Chicago, and all over downtown Chicago in one day on two Yamaha Jogs and my RV90. The trip was 100-ish miles one way, with another probably 30 miles spend driving around downtown, then another 100 miles back. Two days all said and done. I think we were actually less sore than we would have been on motorcycles. Just stop fairly frequently to take a break.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you're white knuckling it the whole way I could see it, but other than that, I dont know why you'd be having grip issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If they're advertising that they're GAS SCOOTERS, run. Having no name associated with them is a big stop sign.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ari.gato posted:

Looking for a new project. How hard are parts to find for a Honda CT110? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2508557509.html

Not too hard http://www.dratv.com

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In the U.S. at least, all two-wheeled vehicles are considered toys. Scooters just get the brunt of that generalization.

Motorcycles in general just are not taken seriously as transportation, which is sad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont want to live in a world where a Honda Cub (or its clones) are not awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What happens if you lean an mp3 over far enough to lift the outside wheel? Is that even possible?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

My guess is it starts understeering/pushing the front as the scoot doesn't enough traction once the second wheel goes away, so it pushes until the second wheel touches down again, regains traction, and basically just understeers like crazy.

Huh, I would think it would just wash out and go down at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe we're on different wavelengths here.

The MP3 is the one with three wheels that actually does lean like a bike, right?

If so, say you're turning right, and leaning right, after a certain lean angle, the left tire should lift up, leaving you severely leaned over on a tire thats right of center.

Which in my mind would make it wash out, but who knows.